[Update] Apple's iMac Pro will be available for orders on December 14, 2017

Source: 9to5 Mac

5a2fe84f44ada_Screenshot(438).png.6f5d5e2fd6bd64660fc0e812e13cb9f0.png

Apple’s pro-oriented all-in-one desktop, the iMac Pro, is set to launch this Thursday on December 14, 2017. The iMac Pro is the first iMac to sport 8-, 10-, and 18-core variants, making it easily the most powerful Mac computer on the market today. The machine will also come with up to 128 GB of ECC DDR4 2666MHz RAM, and up to 4 TB of storage.

From Apple:

Pros love iMac. So when they asked us to build them a killer iMac, we went all in. And then we went way, way beyond, creating an iMac packed with the most staggeringly powerful collection of workstation-class graphics, processors, storage, memory, and I/O of any Mac ever. And we did it without adding a millimeter to its iconic all-in-one design. So everyone from video editors to 3D animators to musicians to software developers to scientists can do what they do like they’ve never done before. Introducing iMac Pro. A lean, mean dream machine.

So far the first impressions of the iMac Pro have been fairly positive. I don't know how Marques Brownlee got his hands first before anyone else the iMac Pro. It's expensive and I can now hear the PCMR crowd ranting saying stuff like "I can build a much better computer for less than two grand". It has Vega 56 with 8GB of HBM2 memory or Vega 64 with 16 GB HBM2 memory. I was hoping there would be Face ID on the iMac Pro but there isn't. But Apple is known for pricing premium to their products because they are being charged higher than the PC OEM for parts like NVMe SSDs, ECC RAM, 5K IPS LCD display and graphics cards but I wonder how will actual content creators like movie studios will adopt the iMac Pro or will they just wait for the Mac Pro refresh. Someone invested on the PCMR will likely ignore it and trash talk about it but for people invested in Apple's ecosystem crying for a Mac designed for actual professionals, this might be something they want or just wait for the promised modular Mac Pro.

Mac Pro

Back in the day like 2007, Mac Pros are user accesible.

Update: 

A New Level of Integration and Security

iMac Pro brings a new level of integration and security to the Mac with the T2 chip, Apple’s second generation custom Mac silicon. By designing and integrating several new controllers — such as the System Management Controller, image signal processor, audio controller and SSD controller — T2 delivers new capabilities to the Mac like enhanced imaging processing for the FaceTime HD camera. T2 also enables a new level of security by including a secure enclave coprocessor that provides the foundation for new encrypted storage and secure boot capabilities. Dedicated AES hardware encrypts data on the SSD without affecting performance, while secure boot ensures that only trusted software loads at startup.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/12/imac-pro-the-most-powerful-mac-ever-available-today/

But why there’s no Face ID or Touch ID? 

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

The true diehard content creators that have an iMac 5K will wait for the Mac Pro redesign late 2018/early 2019 for sure. The iMac Pro is a stopgap product to show that Pros still matter.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Not gonna lie, I do actually want one.

But I don’t work in the creative industry, so I don’t see why I would justify owning one :/

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I just hope that @LinusTech will perform synthetic benchmarks on macOS instead on a Windows 10 Bootcamp partition. With the exception of AAA titles and AIDA64, most synthetic benchmarks are cross platform and that includes the Mac. 

2 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

If Final Cut Pro wasn't so efficient, I swear this platform would fail.

To be fair, Apple's income mostly come from the iPhone and iTunes and developing apps for the iPhone requires a Mac so it may not have the same market share as Windows but it's essential. Apple making Xcode available for Windows is fantasy land. 

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

So, it's not gaming system at all

No one in their right mind would think that a Mac is a gaming system. Having better specs doesn't put it in gaming market. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

Is Mac os better than FreeBsd, or it more render machine, than profession use? 

I don't know about the Linux distro FreeBSD but it's a computer mostly for video creators like movie studios and workstations that have tasks requiring 128GB ECC memory and a Xeon processor.

3 minutes ago, Tedny said:

So, it's not gaming system at all

I think it can game as it has the Vega 56/64 GPU. I don't know if a workstation CPU like a Xeon is meant for gaming but I think I watched somewhere it can game as long as it's in the Bootcamp Windows 10 partition. But gamers aren't buying Macs for games.

Just now, Tedny said:

WAT?

I haven't used it. I mostly have tried OpenSUSE, Ubuntu and Parrot Sec mostly on a VM.

you know what i want i want a mac mini to replace my fathers 2008 model please i cant justify overpaying alot of money for a current mac mini since its hardware is ancient already 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I want the older 2000s-2012 Mac Pros back (my school has a bunch of 2010s) they are the last that were user up gradable for everything and look nice. 

apple gave up the pros in 2012 they haven't cared much about them sense then. They tried to sell the same trash can for 4 years and at the same price too. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, Eroda said:

you know what i want i want a mac mini to replace my fathers 2008 model please i cant justify overpaying alot of money for a current mac mini since its hardware is ancient already 

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/19/tim-cook-mac-mini/

From an email by Tim  Cook:

I’m glad you love Mac mini. We love it too. Our customers have found so many creative and interesting uses for Mac mini. While it is not time to share any details, we do plan for Mac mini to be an important part of our product line going forward.

8 minutes ago, Eroda said:

The 2012 Mac Mini came in a Quad Core variety (the 2011 was trash) so aim for that :P  outperforms the current Crap Mini by a landslide.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

99.9% of consumers do not need this kind of machine. 

It's not a consumer machine so that fits.

26 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

20 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

The 2012 Mac Mini came in a Quad Core variety (the 2011 was trash) so aim for that :P  outperforms the current Crap Mini by a landslide.

1. tim cook likes to talk alot of BS 

2. my father is stubborn he wont accept a second hand computer so i have to overpay for the current model which i wont do. so apple needs to either commit to a new mac mini before his dies or ill be stuck checking his emails myself and printing them because he is too computer illiterate to use windows. we are talking about someone who doesnt know anything. and is unable to remember shit

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

19 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

5a2ff9ea8555f_ScreenShot2017-12-12at11_46_22PM.png.19830adf502d8291d735e390ba19d09f.png

Would you consider giving Linus and early access to the upcoming modular Mac Pro? :D

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Would you consider giving Linus and early access to the upcoming modular Mac Pro? :D

Linus yes. At least he tries not to be biased. 

Most people at this forum only deserves a 2014 under clocked underperformed ram soldered on mac mini. 

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

6 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

and don't you worry those next gen Mac Pro will come out before your android cellphones gets an update. 

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

25 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

99.9% of consumers do not need this kind of machine. 

I'm doing something to match the specs of the base model iMac Pro and in PCPP, it's already almost $3000 with the 4K display but without the power supply and motherboard just yet

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WBRpqk

For whatever reason, PCPP doesn't show any motherboards compatible with a Xeon.

10 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

It does for me:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=QncMnQ

However, there's no motherboard compatible with your list. I think there's something about the combination of parts that it can't find a mobo accommodating them all.

EDIT: It's the RAM. Remove the memory from the list and you will get a list of compatible motherboards.

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I'm doing something to match the specs of the base model iMac Pro and in PCPP, it's already almost $3000 with the 4K display but without the power supply and motherboard just yet

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WBRpqk

i think that price wise apple did not go too far with it. (or at least that's what they claimed)

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It does for me:

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/?compatible_with=QncMnQ

However, there's no motherboard compatible with your list. I think there's something about the combination of parts that it can't find a mobo accommodating them all.

Maybe I picked something wrong. Maybe something incompatible with NVME SSD or the Vega 56?

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

i think that price wise apple did not go too far with it. (or at least that's what they claimed)

With the exception of the lack of user accessibility, I think it's safe to say that the iMac Pro's price is justified when you start building a PC with similar specs.