VESA Announces DisplayHDR

Source: https://displayhdr.org/

What is DisplayHDR?

The High-Performance Monitor and Display Compliance Test Specification (DisplayHDR) from VESA defines the display industry’s first fully open standard specifying HDR quality, including luminance, color gamut, bit depth, and rise time. Specifically, VESA aims to alleviate consumer confusion surrounding HDR performance specifications in the PC space by:

• Creating a specification for the PC industry that will be shared publicly and transparently
  • Developing an automated testing tool that end users can download to perform their own testing if desired
  • Delivering a robust set of test metrics for HDR that clearly articulates the performance level of the device being purchased

performance-table@2x.png

The first products are expected to be announced at CES 2018. 

Really nice to see some proper HDR standard for PCs. I'm (almost) regretting buying my Acer XB271HU, I got tired of waiting for proper HDR monitors. 
I think the specs make sense, or at least not going above 1000 nits for a PC monitor makes sense to me. Calling something with 400nits and 8bits colour HDR feels misleading to me, and shouldn't really be part of the spec at all. 
But DisplayHDR 600 seems like a nice "mid-range" HDR to keep monitor prices down. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Still think of their old Local Bus when I see VESA.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

27 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Still think of their old Local Bus when I see VESA.

Ha!  Someone else who is likely old with grey(ing) hair!  Busted!

(Makes two of us).

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Finally a proper standard set up, tired of seeing everyone claiming to have the best HDR while some of them just emulating it.

Good to see more better push, we need good supportive standards. There are those fake HDR displays or just out right way below really good specs. Hopefully monitor market embrces HDR with actual quality approach faster. 

I'll still be waiting to get a new monitor, not really in a rush but yeah. Since HDR is really awesome and it advances in monitor space as of now, would like to get a really great one. 

My aim for new 144Hz monitor was Asus MG279Q which is 1440p 144Hz IPS Freesync display. It's almost perfect, what I'd like is that it's 24" rather than 27" though. Higher PPI and more importantly better for competitve fps play since less looking around. Also, would then have 3 24" monitors nicely. 

So as far as HDR Freesnyc 2 was shown to support it and there are few monitors out already. Don't like the current ones. Though now all depends on said 'HDR tier' qualities. But still, ones with FS2 are way better than SDR ones anyway. So that would be the minimum I aim now. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 hours ago, jasonvp said:

Ha!  Someone else who is likely old with grey(ing) hair!  Busted!

(Makes two of us).

I was actually using a 486 in the early 2000's, while my Mum was finally replacing the Celeron 433 based machine that replaced the 486....with a Celeron D 2.4GHz based desktop that was inferior to her laptop in every way except for the iGPU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Don't know what that is but I always think of this when I see VESA:

345-8535.jpg

FRUKOST! Every middle school lunch had to be complement with one of those to feel complete xD

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

FRUKOST! Every middle school lunch had to be complement with one of those to feel complete xD

Well, it does say lunch on in all capitals on the front, so that makes sense :)