Synaptics announces world's first in-display fingerprint sensor

One of the leading biometrics technology companies, Synaptics, has announced a big breakthrough in phone authentication: in-display fingerprint sensors. The new "Clear ID FS9500" (catchy name) fingerprint sensor is designed for smartphones with near-bezel-free displays, and provides fingerprint authentication on demand completely within the display panel itself.

5ac19b78-1b3c-464e-9bb0-4d9f28c30b13.gif

The Clear ID FS9500 sensor offers the same type of one-touch authentication we know today, but does it underneath the display glass — and it can handle a variety of situations including wet, dry and cold fingers. As you'd expect, it integrates a complete security stack with AES encryption and a variety of authentication features that companies can choose from. Seeing as it otherwise works the same as a dedicated hardware sensor, one of the great features of this in-display solution is that it can be turned on and off at will, meaning that unlike traditional sensors it doesn't occupy any space on the body of the phone when not needed.

Also they already started mass production

Synaptics is making this announcement because it says that it is already in mass production in partnership with a "top five" smartphone company. 

Galaxy S9 first to have it?

In its press release, the company specifically calls out the demand for "bezel-free OLED infinity displays," which is interestingly the exact type of naming Samsung has applied to its curved displays in the flagship Galaxy S8, S8+ and Note 8.

This in-screen fingerprint sensor technology could certainly end up in all sorts of phones in 2018, but given the hints here we wouldn't be surprised if the Samsung Galaxy S9 was one of the first. Following the relative debacle of the Galaxy S8's rear-mounted fingerprint sensor and promises of upgraded iris scanning on the GS9, we could see the removal of the dedicated physical fingerprint sensor on the new phone.

2018 will be an interesting year for fingerprint sensors.

Source:

https://www.androidcentral.com/synaptics-announces-worlds-first-display-fingerprint-sensors-coming-smartphones

Also

http://mashable.com/2017/12/12/fingerprint-scanner-under-smartphone-display/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-tech-link#u6TL1Luztiqd

YES, finally they'll get rid of crappy face recognition and go back to good ol finger print sensors whilst still having the nice big fancy screens

so  every Android OEM will move toward this while Apple pushes for face recognition

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

39 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

so  every Android OEM will move toward this while Apple pushes for face recognition

Pretty much. Tbh I still prefer the speed of Touch ID over Face ID. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

37 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

fine by me.

Unless apple goes back to their roots (i had almost every Apple device on the planet up to the iPhone 5[s i believe]), i see no way in hell id consider their crap nowadays anyways.

The in your face approach of telling costumers what they (apple) believe the costumer wants and refusing to even offer an option just got out of hand.

Face recognition vs finger print is just another in a long list of these things.

Ill take this back IF apple actually offers a choice here in the next 2 years or so. If.

Can't wait to see this in action, as there may be some potential issues as well. Like,.. is it as good as a dedicated button sensor?

Is there only one place for the sensor, or does the whole screen count (video suggests only a small part of it) ect.

14 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Pretty much. Tbh I still prefer the speed of Touch ID over Face ID. 

I haven't noticed a difference myself. Although it's likely Apple will move towards both later on. 

I seem to recall Apple had a patent for Touch ID in a screen as well.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/29/apple-patents-sub-display-fingerprint-recognition-technology-based-on-acoustic-imaging

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/17/apple-patents-ideas-for-a-borderless-device-with-a-fingerprint-scanning-screen.html

104475616-Apple-finger-scanner.530x298.P

"A fingerprint sensor may be particularly advantageous for verification and/or authentication in an electronic device, and more particularly, a portable device, for example," Apple says in patent 9,652,066.

"Where a fingerprint sensor is integrated into an electronic device or host device, for example, as noted above, it may be desirable to more quickly perform authentication, particularly while performing another task or an application on the electronic device."

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

8 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I haven't noticed a difference myself. Although it's likely Apple will move towards both later on. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/08/29/apple-patents-sub-display-fingerprint-recognition-technology-based-on-acoustic-imaging

Yes they do have a patent of their own for an under the display Touch ID but they can’t make it work as good as 2nd generation Touch ID found in the 6s and beyond so they decided to make the iPhone X with Face ID instead which is good but not as fast and accurate as Touch ID. 

I hope Apple can make it work

Apple is more than likely to develop both technology under the radar. 

This is not a "we got face ID so we good" situation... 

Or apple being apple, will let all the crappy design/implementation flood the market 1st, then give out their more fine tuned, integrated solution. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

10 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Apple is more than likely to develop both technology under the radar. 

This is not a "we got face ID so we good" situation... 

Or apple being apple, will let all the crappy design/implementation flood the market 1st, then give out their more fine tuned, integrated solution. 

I just want the Touch ID back given how problematic the iPhone X’s Face ID is like not recognizing the difference between identical twins and family members that look alike.

Here’s me wishing that Jony Ive would get rid of that ugly looking asymmetrical notch. ?

Edited by hey_yo_

4 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I just want the Touch ID back given how problematic the iPhone X’s Face ID is like not recognizing the difference between identical twins and family members that look alike.

give them some time will ya~ 

this is the 1st gen product we are talking about. 

remember samsung's crappy "swipdown a few times to unlock" fingerprint sensor? and the crappy samsung watch? and android pay that NO ONE ever used? 

a lot of the "issue" that apple has have been blown out of proportion. 

apple is not known for "implementing the newest tech" in the tech world. they will let whatever solution being used out their 1st, then try to come out a better one. Look at bluetooth earbuds. Are they the 1st one??? No. are they the best? Yes. Wireless charging? Are they the 1st one? No. Android users had been mocking apple for years. And you know what, once apple had the solution, it will be more intuitive than their competitions. Because apple controls the whole ecosystem., 

Also it will be more EXPENSIVE. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

give them some time will ya~ 

this is the 1st gen product we are talking about.

As someone living 15 degrees above the equator, we don’t have cold winters hence I just find Face ID useless and deplorable unless someone have amputated fingers which I’m not. 

16 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Yes they do have a patent of their own for an under the display Touch ID but they can’t make it work as good as 2nd generation Touch ID found in the 6s and beyond so they decided to make the iPhone X with Face ID instead which is good but not as fast and accurate as Touch ID. 

I hope Apple can make it work

Well I have both a 7 Plus and the X, can't say I've seen Face ID be slower when I use it daily. Only time it doesn't recognise me when when half my face is covered by the duvet in bed :P

I'm sure they'll work out any kinks with it being first gen early adopter tech.

Would be nice to have Face and Touch ID together on the next phone they launch.

16 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

I'm sure they'll work out any kinks with it being first gen early adopter tech.

Would be nice to have Face and Touch ID together on the next phone they launch.

As I’ve said above, Face ID doesn’t seem practical useless if you’re living in a tropical country unless someone has amputated fingers. It’s nice if they’ll implement both Face & Touch ID but I’m not getting my hopes up that they’ll be doing it. 

Unless Steve Jobs comes back from the dead and haunt Tim Cook and Jony Ive in their bad dreams. ?

Edited by hey_yo_

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

As I’ve said above, Face ID is useless if you’re living in a tropical country unless someone has amputated fingers. It’s nice if they’ll implement both Face & Touch ID but I’m not getting my hopes up that they’ll be doing it. 

Unless Steve Jobs comes back from the dead and haunt Tim Cook and Jony Ive in their bad dreams. ?

Can you explain why it's useless in a tropical country unless someone has no fingers?

5 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Can you explain why it's useless in a tropical country unless someone has no fingers?

Because it’s hot in here, we don’t have to wear gloves or thick clothing so Touch ID is more convenient. I can see Face ID being useful in places like Canada where winter is cold af and removing gloves would lead to frostbite. 

Obviously for people with amputated fingers they can’t register fingerprints so Face ID is useful for them. But for a person living in tropical Southeast Asia with complete ten fingers like me, Touch ID is much better. 

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Because it’s hot in here, we don’t have to wear gloves or thick clothing so Touch ID is more convenient. I can see Face ID being useful in places like Canada where winter is cold af and removing gloves would lead to frostbite. 

Obviously for people with amputated fingers they can’t register fingerprints so Face ID is useful for them. But for a person living in tropical Southeast Asia with complete ten fingers like me, Touch ID is much better. 

I'm from Africa, and I can still use Face ID fine, and the passcode if needed. It being hot doesn't make it useless. As still own both the 7 Plus and the X. If you have no fingers and Face ID fails, just like Touch ID can with sweaty hands, or if you use creams, or lotions, you still need a passcode. It's the reason you can't have either of those without a passcode also enabled.

I thought you'd have a source to a news, or tech source explaining your statement. In the end it's just your personal preference though. That's fine though, if you don't like it, you can most certainly vote with your wallet.

I'd suggest you also either go to Apple.com/feedback to leave feedback there, or you can call Apple Care directly and leave an official complaint; the advisor will even provide you with the case number of that if you like. 

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Oh speaking of this (sorry to go off tangent for a bit), I managed to borrow a friend and his iPhone X for a bit last week. apparently if kind-of-half the face is within the front camera's view (checked with lock screen camera) it will still count as "recognised" o_o

This is one of the reasons why Touch ID is still better as you can register five fingerprints and your finger must cover the entire Touch ID sensor. 

Face ID can’t do that kind of precision. 

This is why Apple should have held off on releasing the iPhone 8 and X. The phones would be a bit less stripped down.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, VegetableStu said:

been looking up infrared images of the iPhone X projector and the reach seem quite wide ._. if I have the means to check and a bit more time with it I'll figure something out to test

The thumbnail says it all. Face ID's dot projector's coverage is wide. It's invisible to the naked eye but visible to an infrared camera.

3 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

otherwise yeah I agree with TouchID > FaceID, but I'd still think passcode first

I agree. Passcodes (especially 6 characters) is still more secure than any biometric authentication.

4 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

been looking up infrared images of the iPhone X projector and the reach seem quite wide ._. if I have the means to check and a bit more time with it I'll figure something out to test

otherwise yeah I agree with TouchID > FaceID, but I'd still think passcode first

Also check if attention awareness is enabled as well. If not it checks a wide area, otherwise you’re supposed to look straight at it.

I'm not so sure it'll be in the S9. Might not have made the cut so I suspect we might first see it in the Note. Samsung might need longer time to work out the design and software implementation. Or they might want to let Note users be the testers or give them a little extra for their money.

It seem though like we've heard this announcement before but I'm guessing this time it's ready for primetime and therefore they mass-produce it. I would hope it's fast and secure now at least.

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/17/apple-patents-ideas-for-a-borderless-device-with-a-fingerprint-scanning-screen.html

104475616-Apple-finger-scanner.530x298.P

Apple patents thoughts or possible future ideas well before they can even come close to delivering and actual product. I mean fuck, the patented 4-D gaming like 5 years ago....like WTH...

Basically Synaptics will work with Android OEMs for this tech but will probably being paying apple even though they patented it because they cant afford to be sued by apple. 

19 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

'doh, didn't think to check the settings app or ask, LOL. noted

EDIT: methodology just in case: head facing the table, eyes facing the camera, phone on table slowly moved towards dude from right side, swipe right on unlock for camera

It's a funky feature, that's there in the settings that few even look at all right. Do test it out, and if things still seem weird or off do leave feedback about it. 
I know myself, and my friends that used my phone, with it on unless you're looking right it it, it wouldn't unlock. It'll just bounce the lock and ask for the passcode.

21 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Apple patents thoughts or possible future ideas well before they can even come close to delivering and actual product. I mean fuck, the patented 4-D gaming like 5 years ago....like WTH...

Basically Synaptics will work with Android OEMs for this tech but will probably being paying apple even though they patented it because they cant afford to be sued by apple. 

Patents for you sadly. It's crazy how many things get patented without a working prototype or product.

This is a really old image, but it shows the patent law suit web and who's suing who back in 2010-2011.

Some of these have since acquired each other; and more have appeared as well.

In the first web you can clearly see the patent trolls, names in Light Grey, they patent, but never create anything. They just sue others.

lawsuits-121110-lg.png

Web-of-Lawsuits-2.jpg

6 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Patents for you sadly. It's crazy how many things get patented without a working prototype or product.

This is a really old image, but it shows the patent law suit web and who's suing who back in 2010-2011.

Some of these have since acquired each other; and more have appeared as well.

Oh that image hurts me :( All of that adds to cost we have to pay because someone said "I thought about it first"