Weird(?) sound coming from Cooler Master Master Liquid 240

Go to solution Solved by PineyCreek,

If it's not actually dripping out anywhere, I would wait for CM to respond with their opinion.  If you actually had bad air bubbles in your coolant the radiator simply wouldn't work as well (significant heat spikes if really large amount of air, much like a radiator on a mid-engine vehicle), so it's probably not that.  Might be the 240 just has a noisier pump.

So I´ve been hearing some weird sounds coming from my recently installed 240 Liquid Cooler. It worked fine without any weird sounds the first day. So I contacted Cooler Master Support. This is what I wrote:

So during black friday I got myself a Master Liquid 240 (non-pro). After I installed it it work perfectly for the rest of the day, but when I woke up the next morning to turn on my computer I could hear a weird water sound which I think is coming from the pump. It sound like something between gurgling or dripping.

I´ve checked and I don´t see any leaks at all and the computer boots and the temps are like usual. around 30C idle.

What could be the problem?
Thanks in Advance!

/Sigge

I figured it could take a while for them to respond and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered something similar with Cooler Master´s Liquid Cooler, or any other brand for that matter?

water noises are typical in water coolers , same as air noises being typical in air coolers

Just now, emosun said:

water noises are typical in water coolers , same as air noises being typical in air coolers

I realize that as I have been running a 120 Rad for like 5 years before this, but this sound stood out to me.

1 minute ago, Sigge_Sandstrom said:

I realize that as I have been running a 120 Rad for like 5 years before this, but this sound stood out to me.

so the different water cooling setup you are now running makes a different noise from the different water cooling setup you used to be running correct?

My MasterLiquid 240 does the same, it's normal as far as I know.  Water is being moved.  Water makes noise when moving :) 

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

Just now, zombienerd said:

My MasterLiquid 240 does the same, it's normal as far as I know.  Water is being moved.  Water makes noise when moving :) 

Hopefully that´s all it is then and I´m just being paranoid :)

Could take a recording and post on youtube and link if you have a good microphone, but is the orientation of the radiator different from your old 120 setup that you were used to?

My Fractal Design S36 makes sounds when it heats up a bit, much like any radiator.  Only other sounds I know of is the pump itself and maybe if you have bubbles in the coolant.

4 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Could take a recording and post on youtube and link if you have a good microphone, but is the orientation of the radiator different from your old 120 setup that you were used to?

My Fractal Design S36 makes sounds when it heats up a bit, much like any radiator.  Only other sounds I know of is the pump itself and maybe if you have bubbles in the coolant.

The orientation is the same as before and unfortunately I don´t really have any good mics :(

If it's not actually dripping out anywhere, I would wait for CM to respond with their opinion.  If you actually had bad air bubbles in your coolant the radiator simply wouldn't work as well (significant heat spikes if really large amount of air, much like a radiator on a mid-engine vehicle), so it's probably not that.  Might be the 240 just has a noisier pump.