Net neutrality

Ricksmith18

Do yall think if net neutrality go throw thay might make us pay more for having alot of differnt IP addresses on one router beacuse thay will know what devices are doning. Beacuse what i have heard that, lest jest say that netflix and you tube is on the same bundle but a person in the next room is waching twich will thay Throttle his Internet connection if thay do than that must know there IP addresses to do so if its from the same router. so do yall think thay will make the people pay more for having a lot of IP  addresses? i have about 10 devices is  Connected to the Internet.

ISPs already charge for IPs which is why people use NAT. Regardless of how many devices you have on your network your ISP will only know about your public IP that they gave you, not your private IPs on your network.

-KuJoe

But like i say if some one in the next room is not doning somthing that you pay extra for how will thay know what to throttle

Just now, Ricksmith18 said:

But like i say if some one in the next room is not doning somthing that you pay extra for how will thay know what to throttle

That's not how they'd do it. You have nothing to worry about.

-KuJoe

No. IP Addresses are managed by the router and not the ISP. They will most likely throttle the whole internet connection.

IMO Net Nuetrality will stay because its just too difficult to enforce.

31 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

They will most likely throttle the whole internet connection.

Nope, they would throttle the connection upstream before it even hits the client's network. The client's network will not be throttled because that would be a lot more expensive.

-KuJoe

2 hours ago, Ricksmith18 said:

Do yall think if net neutrality go throw thay might make us pay more for having alot of differnt IP addresses on one router beacuse thay will know what devices are doning. Beacuse what i have heard that, lest jest say that netflix and you tube is on the same bundle but a person in the next room is waching twich will thay Throttle his Internet connection if thay do than that must know there IP addresses to do so if its from the same router. so do yall think thay will make the people pay more for having a lot of IP  addresses? i have about 10 devices is  Connected to the Internet.

I have no idea what you are asking. I can't get past the failure to graduate elementary school enough to understand.

But Net Neutrality is six in one and half a dozen in the other. On the one hand it (sort of) protects users from some of these things that were never actually problems anyway (seriously, net neutrality was passed to protect us against things that hadn't happened before it was passed). On the other hand, it reclassifies the internet as a federal utility, and as such, can be  heavily regulated and taxed on the federal level.

At worst we will be in the same boat we were in 2014.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, Ricksmith18 said:

Don't panic over speculation. 

9 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

seriously, net neutrality was passed to protect us against things that hadn't happened before it was passed

You are incredibly wrong. It was reclassified in order to stop what was already going on.

If you don't believe me just look at this article from the year before broadband was reclassified as a common carrier.

Throttling was common in the US before NN laws passed. Sadly, it seems like it is still common.

9 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

On the other hand, it reclassifies the internet as a federal utility, and as such, can be  heavily regulated and taxed on the federal level.

This is completely wrong. I have no idea where you got this idea from, but it is not true.

1) It is not classified as a "federal utility", whatever that means. It's classified as a "common carrier", which has a very specific meaning, which is unrelated from "government owned", or "paid for with taxes", or whatever else people seem to believe when they hear that word.

2) It does not allow for any more or less regulations than before, other than what is written in the telecommunications act for common carriers. Title II classification does not give the government more control. What it does is prevent ISPs from taking control. You might think I am trying to twist words here but I am not. There is literally nothing in the act which gives the government any power they don't already have without it. If you want an analogy, a law which states that murder is illegal doesn't give the government more power either, right? It's the same thing here.

3) There is NOTHING in the bill which has anything to do with taxes. NN or not has 0 effect on taxes. None whatsoever. 

What is it with Net Neutrality that attracts so many ignorant people?

It seems like everyone wants to talk about it but less than 1% actually knows even the basics of it. I wonder how many people talking shit (on both sides) has actually bothered to read even the first paragraph of the bill they are for/against. Judging by the inane comments on here and other forums, I'd say not many.

@LAwLz

You seem to know your stuff!

Does it only affect US citizens or foreigners too which use Servers in the US.I think it would affect foreigners too than. Thanks for an answer buddy :)

20 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

@LAwLz

Does it only affect US citizens or foreigners too which use Servers in the US.I think it would affect foreigners too than. Thanks for an answer buddy :)

You mean the removal of NN?

Hard to say because it entirely depends on how the service is set up. Most big services like Neflix will most likely not  be affected since they have completely different contracts and use CDNs. That's for people outside f the US by the way. People inside the US will be royally fucked in the ass by ISPs.

There is always the risk that if something bad happens in the US (like "Internet packages") then it will spread to other countries, but I think that will happen in some countries regardless of what happens in the US.

In other countries like Sweden it wouldn't work because we have a lot of competition when it comes to ISPs. "Internet packages" only works in countries where there are ISP monopolies, and those countries probably already have issues.

Edited.

What shits me the most about this argument is the idea that if it happen in the US it will spread to other countries. Apart from Canada, the rest of the world doesn't see the USA as a role model. 

If it's stupid, it will stay in the US (and maybe Canada).

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

On 12/12/2017 at 5:10 AM, Teddy07 said:

@LAwLz

Sorry to burst your bubble but with the US being as culturally and technologically dominant as they are, this will affect people worldwide: ISPs can now have a strangle hold on large media companies and they have to comply otherwise their biggest source of revenue (direct and/or advertisement) would dry up. Some companies won't be able to absorb this and henceforth their content or platforms will suffer for all customers even the ones outside of the US.

It will be a while before the effects hit home and eventually very large corporations will just move the fuck out of the US and try to push other markets more aggressively but if the US suffers then what the fuck do you think you can expect when a lot or even most of your entertainment and such comes directly from US companies that are now screwed?

-------

Current Rig

-------

25 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Sorry to burst your bubble but with the US being as culturally and technologically dominant as they are, this will affect people worldwide: ISPs can now have a strangle hold on large media companies and they have to comply otherwise their biggest source of revenue (direct and/or advertisement) would dry up. Some companies won't be able to absorb this and henceforth their content or platforms will suffer for all customers even the ones outside of the US.

It will be a while before the effects hit home and eventually very large corporations will just move the fuck out of the US and try to push other markets more aggressively but if the US suffers then what the fuck do you think you can expect when a lot or even most of your entertainment and such comes directly from US companies that are now screwed?

Culturally and technologically dominant? 

Most entertainment comes from the US?

Goodness, spot the American...

On 12/12/2017 at 1:53 AM, RorzNZ said:

IMO Net Nuetrality will stay because its just too difficult to enforce.

:):( 

That's an F in the profile pic

9 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

:):( 

Unlucky! Heard about this today on the Jay-Z cents twitter. 

This is a large step back and you would think this contradicts freedom of speech.

9 hours ago, killcomic said:

Culturally and technologically dominant? 

Most entertainment comes from the US?

Goodness, spot the American...

By revenue? Accurate on both accounts.

To say otherwise would be to be in denial, ill equipped to deal with the reality of US lead western hegemony.

-------

Current Rig

-------

8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

By revenue? Accurate on both accounts.

To say otherwise would be to be in denial, ill equipped to deal with the reality of US lead western hegemony.

You be you, bro.