1987 LTD Crown Vic

Darren319

I'm thinking about my first car, and I originally wanted to get a miata, but my parents most likely won't allow it, but then I remembered the 1987 Crown Vic. You may know it as the Ford P.O.S. from the original MIB

I digress, would an 87 LTD Crown Vic make a good first car? How's insurance on them? How hard would it be to swap a manual transmission into it?

Obviously I already know they're reliable, but I think it would be something fun and cool that's affordable.

Get a foxbody instead.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Haha, oh boy. I wouldn't get that for a first car. It's likely a beast on gas.

Without knowing your budget, it's kind of hard to make suggestions.

As for insurance costs, your guess is as good as ours. That's something you'll need to look into, unless you're in the UK where I believe insurance groups are common public knowledge.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you can get a decommissioned police interceptor, those are some pretty nice cars. Although you will probably spend quite a bit on gas as @dizmo mentioned above

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

22 minutes ago, MasonQQQ said:

+1 for Foxbody. Bonus points for '87-'93

26 minutes ago, vetali said:

Get a foxbody instead.

I don't really like the foxbody to be honest. Plus my mother would never let me get a mustang, even though I'd be the one paying for it.

18 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, oh boy. I wouldn't get that for a first car. It's likely a beast on gas.

Without knowing your budget, it's kind of hard to make suggestions.

As for insurance costs, your guess is as good as ours. That's something you'll need to look into, unless you're in the UK where I believe insurance groups are common public knowledge.

For me gas wouldn'y really be an issue... my commute to school is only a mile xD

As for my budget, probably $5k max

Just now, Darren319 said:

For me gas wouldn'y really be an issue... my commute to school is only a mile xD

As for my budget, probably $5k max

Then you should be walking.

$? USD? CAD? HKD? SGD? AUD? NZD?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Then you should be walking.

$? USD? CAD? HKD? SGD? AUD? NZD?

USD lol

I would walk, but I never wake up early enough to leave my house at 6:30 in the morning.

The furthest I would be driving is around 30 miles or so, but like I said, gas isn't an issue.

1 minute ago, Darren319 said:

USD lol

I would walk, but I never wake up early enough to leave my house at 6:30 in the morning.

The furthest I would be driving is around 30 miles or so, but like I said, gas isn't an issue.

And you want a manual transmission? Dying breed :P

What part of the US do you live in?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Darren319 said:

I'm thinking about my first car, and I originally wanted to get a miata, but my parents most likely won't allow it, but then I remembered the 1987 Crown Vic. You may know it as the Ford P.O.S. from the original MIB

I digress, would an 87 LTD Crown Vic make a good first car? How's insurance on them? How hard would it be to swap a manual transmission into it?

Obviously I already know they're reliable, but I think it would be something fun and cool that's affordable.

As your first car, I would advise:

1. Get a cheap car

2. Get a practical car

3. Get a car that is cheap to maintain

4. Get a car that is cheap on gas

As for swapping a manual transmission? Are you a mechanic? If not, well, it's not going to be easy.

I think a lot of people get way too worked up about their first car, and get something too much for them. Get something that if you crash and wreck it, you won't be upset (beyond the basic upset of crashing a car).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

31 minutes ago, Darren319 said:

I don't really like the foxbody to be honest. Plus my mother would never let me get a mustang, even though I'd be the one paying for it.

Is RWD a must? Considering you mention insurance costs, you could save quite a bit going with a FWD.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

33 minutes ago, dizmo said:

And you want a manual transmission? Dying breed :P

What part of the US do you live in?

I live in PA

16 minutes ago, vetali said:

Is RWD a must? Considering you mention insurance costs, you could save quite a bit going with a FWD.

There's no fwd cars I like lol, and I don't really understand fwd all that well (i'd be doing the work on the car by myself)

19 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

As your first car, I would advise:

1. Get a cheap car

2. Get a practical car

3. Get a car that is cheap to maintain

4. Get a car that is cheap on gas

As for swapping a manual transmission? Are you a mechanic? If not, well, it's not going to be easy.

I think a lot of people get way too worked up about their first car, and get something too much for them. Get something that if you crash and wreck it, you won't be upset (beyond the basic upset of crashing a car).

From what I've seen the car is very cheap, like around $2k. I like that it has lots of space, because i play hockey and the equitment takes up lots of space. Parts for crown vics are cheap, and they're built like tanks. I wouldn't be too upset if I crashed it either. I've seen a very good video on how to swap a manual transmission into a slightly newer mustang that the vic, but I'm really good with cars and working on stuff myself, so all the maintenance would be done by me. But swapping a manual isn't a must, just something I'd like to do.

1 minute ago, Darren319 said:

From what I've seen the car is very cheap, like around $2k. I like that it has lots of space, because i play hockey and the equitment takes up lots of space. Parts for crown vics are cheap, and they're built like tanks. I wouldn't be too upset if I crashed it either. I've seen a very good video on how to swap a manual transmission into a slightly newer mustang that the vic, but I'm really good with cars and working on stuff myself, so all the maintenance would be done by me. But swapping a manual isn't a must, just something I'd like to do.

Interesting that your first choice was a Miata... not exactly a lot of storage space in those :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

First car in PA. Get a 89 f150 with a 302. 

Cheap to maintain, built like a tank and PLENTY of CHEAP mods. Plus the addition of a bed to pack your gear.

image006_2.jpg%20alt=

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Interesting that your first choice was a Miata... not exactly a lot of storage space in those :P

Nothing a few bungee cords can't fix ???

30 minutes ago, FmPhenom said:

First car in PA. Get a 89 f150 with a 302. 

Cheap to maintain, built like a tank and PLENTY of CHEAP mods. Plus the addition of a bed to pack your gear.

image006_2.jpg%20alt=

I'd look into it, but my stepdad has an f150 and an f350 and neither one of them fit in the garage, and my driveway is a slope, so i can't work on it there... they're nice, they're just too tall ??

I'm really making these suggestions difficult, huh? ??? (sorry)

3 hours ago, Darren319 said:

So you almost want a box Chevy? 

Personally, I would try really hard for a nice Cutlass Supreme. I've always liked them, I don't know why.

10064417_201481022314.jpg

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

Get an old jeep Cherokee. I recently got one for my first car and I really like it so far. I've heard about older cherokees from the 90s and early 2000's getting uo past 500,000 miles on it. The one I just got had 230,000 miles on it, it runs great, and I got it for 1,500 dollars us. 

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

2 hours ago, Darren319 said:

There's no fwd cars I like lol, and I don't really understand fwd all that well (i'd be doing the work on the car by myself)

They aren't that hard to understand...

I recommend a late 90s or early 2000s Lexus like an LS400 or IS300. They can be had for cheap. Ride nice with comfortable interiors. Easier to work on than boat anchor EEC IV fords and equal or slightly better gas mileage.

If you're going with a FWD might as well go with the probe... Nothing better :D

Jokes aside (probe was a ok car it just failed at taking over the pony, one could say all it did was probe the pony in sales)

The MIB POS is just as good of an idea as the Probe, parts are not going to be easy necessarily, plus due to it's age it could be seen as a classic which then could push insurance up. While i disagree with getting a interceptor or a taxi if you can grab a used personal use (make sure it's not fleet used in any way by any owner) crown or it's 2 blood relatives they are good cars, yes heavy on gas but that's due to the V8, and only depends on how hard you are on the pedal. Alt get a Taurus or an impala which once again avoid fleet serviced vehicles, can't say anything about Impala but the other 2 were decently cheap and one is still kicking with very low maintenance (the T).

I personally hate FWD vehicles, the stupid drivers can bury themselves faster than they can get out, and trust me there are a lot of them in this province... Also watching said driver lose control of a FWD vehicle is actually hilarious, not as much as seeing a Porsche stuck in a small amount of wet snow going absolutely nowhere despite the wheels spinning.

Not to mention the fact your only source of everything is your front wheels, and yes that terrifies me only in winter or poor weather.

8 hours ago, Darren319 said:

How hard would it be to swap a manual transmission into it?

Depends, anything with a stick on the wheel forget it, you need to chisel a hole in the center for the shifter and a second for the clutch. You'll need to get your hands on a manual transmission compatible with your engine, buying new is likely out of budget which means you'll need to find a Capri Or Mustang from the year range with equal engine. Over all assuming you could find a unit with the shifter on the floor you're still looking at a few G's just to do so. I know this because of a Taurus forum club member in Ontario (i think) did it.

IMO first vehicle that you want should be reliable, and sadly thats usually a Honda or Toy, dont go with Lexus or any high end/luxury as a first car, even if they are good vehicles and cheap to get depending on local supplies good luck at getting parts fast, let alone cheap. Also ignoring your friends that will mock you, get a family car doesn't need to be a big one, but insurance will be cheaper usually as it's seen you're likely not going to do anything stupid.

xD Never underestimate a family car

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

They are a nice car, just imo not a good starter.