Connecting headphones and speakers at the same time

A1Mike_W

I bought new headphones which require amplification - the onboard sound card is capable of driving them but the headphone amplification function is only available on the rear line out. My problem is that this is where I previously had speakers plugged in, and my old headphones were using the front-panel audio port (which doesn't have amplification). I need the amplification for my headphones but would also like to connect my speakers without having to reach around the back and unplug/replug everything every time I want to swap between the two. Is there any way in which I can do this without buying an external amp? I've tried connecting speakers to the front-panel audio port, but switching to them played sound through my headphones instead (without amplification). Google only links to tutorials on how to have both speakers and headphones playing simultaneously, which is not what I want. Any advice?

Speakers: basic stereo speakers

Mobo: z370 aorus ultra gaming
Headphones: dt 990 pro (250ohm)

I was considering a splitter but I wasn't sure what effect the amplification would have on the speakers. They're logitech z313. Would it cause any problems?

8 minutes ago, A1Mike_W said:

I was considering a splitter but I wasn't sure what effect the amplification would have on the speakers. They're logitech z313. Would it cause any problems?

It would deliver a signal that's much hotter than the speakers are expecting, so you'd have to remember to turn the volume down or turn the speakers off lest you risk blowing the speakers.