"old" PC to build around with and test stuff

Hey there. I am planning to build a PC with older parts.

I already do own a prebuild DELL T3500 with a xenon W3680, 12 GB 6x2 ddr3 memory and a quadro 5000/1050 ti (will sell the excessive gpu). I also have a used 650W PSU (XFX XXX 650 Watt), however I might swap it out for a new psu.

I do plan to get a different motherboard (currently have my eyes on a MSI X58 pro due to reasonable price) to do some minor overclocking.

So now my questions:

• Is the MSI x58 pro a ok motherboard to do some moderate overclocking? Nothing to crazy, however I want to get a little more performance out of the CPU (will also add a 240 AIO if I can find a fitting one to get proper cooling)
  • The motherboard does only have PCIe 2.0, while the 1050 TI I'd love to use would have PCIe 3.0, will this cause problems? (I've found a old tomshardware-thread where they said that this isn't too much of a problem.)
  • If I'd mount a SSD as boot-drive, will it give me a similar boot-speed to my current battlestation or is it limited due to older SATA-connections? Is a SSD even smart to be used or should I simply stick with a HDD for this rig?

In general, I'd appreciate any tips you could give me in this regard, maybe even recommendations for different motherboards or tips during the build/swap.

I do not believe that you will need a powerful PSU (your 650 watt will do just fine) and also, I have a GTX 750 in my 7 year old prebuilt Dell PC so I think the PCI slot will not cause many problems. (performace will probably drop by marginal amounts but eh, money is money)

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

46 minutes ago, salatji said:
  • Is the MSI x58 pro a ok motherboard to do some moderate overclocking? Nothing to crazy, however I want to get a little more performance out of the CPU (will also add a 240 AIO if I can find a fitting one to get proper cooling)
  • The motherboard does only have PCIe 2.0, while the 1050 TI I'd love to use would have PCIe 3.0, will this cause problems? (I've found a old tomshardware-thread where they said that this isn't too much of a problem.)
  • If I'd mount a SSD as boot-drive, will it give me a similar boot-speed to my current battlestation or is it limited due to older SATA-connections? Is a SSD even smart to be used or should I simply stick with a HDD for this rig?

I don't know anything about that motherboard but from what I have seen you can overclock fairly well on most x58 boards

The slower pci speed shouldn't effect you much with that gpu, if you had something like a 1080ti and you were doing rendering then maybe it would but you should be okay

If you want your OS to feel a little faster I would definitely put an sdd in it. it is amazing how much of a difference it can make

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro