How to remove bottleneck?

Diarrrrrrr

It's not just that the HD 5450 is old, it's that even when it was NEW it was the slowest card in the HD 5XXX series. o.O  I literally run an HD 5450 in my server because it needed a GPU and the 5450 had single slot passively cooled options for $20 on eBay. o.O

28 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

You cant answer, but then you said you would replace all of it which is an advice in some way... That's confusing

I said I can't answer which is bottlenecking which, thusly I suggest switching out the entire system because it's very old and unless someone is going for 1080p in e-sports titles, it won't hold up. That I can tell by looking at benchmarks for that specific CPU and compare it to other CPUs that I have personal experience of and can from that deduct that even though it is a good value, especially if one has been using it for quite some time, it's not unreasonable to recommend switching it out. Especially since it runs on a ddr3 platform and most games nowadays recommends ddr4 for performance stability. You can absolutely still squeeze a few extra miles out but you can right now get CPUs that will easily outperform it without spending even close to a fortune.

CPU: R7 1800X GPU: Asus Strix 470 O4G MB: MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium RAM: Team Group Night Hawk 2x8 @ 2933 MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White Fans: 6x Corsair HD120 Fan hub: Corsair Commander Pro RGB Hub: Corsair Lighting Node Pro + 4x LED strips

1 minute ago, BoilInBagRis said:

I said I can't answer which is bottlenecking which, thusly I suggest switching out the entire system because it's very old and unless someone is going for 1080p in e-sports titles, it won't hold up. That I can tell by looking at benchmarks for that specific CPU and compare it to other CPUs that I have personal experience of and can from that deduct that even though it is a good value, especially if one has been using it for quite some time, it's not unreasonable to recommend switching it out. Especially since it runs on a ddr3 platform and most games nowadays recommends ddr4 for performance stability. You can absolutely still squeeze a few extra miles out but you can right now get CPUs that will easily outperform it without spending even close to a fortune.

Considering the specs of their whole pc I don't think they have that much cash, and for a low-mid range system an i7 2600 is still totally fine, especially if you OC it a little bit.

No game "recommends ddr4 for performance stability." That's not how it works.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Considering the specs of their whole pc I don't think they have that much cash, and for a low-mid range system an i7 2600 is still totally fine, especially if you OC it a little bit.

Considering that people gain sudden interests in upgrading their PCs from a very old rigs, it's not unusual that people are willing to spend on new parts. Actually there is, go check it out. 

CPU: R7 1800X GPU: Asus Strix 470 O4G MB: MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium RAM: Team Group Night Hawk 2x8 @ 2933 MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White Fans: 6x Corsair HD120 Fan hub: Corsair Commander Pro RGB Hub: Corsair Lighting Node Pro + 4x LED strips

31 minutes ago, BoilInBagRis said:

Linus actually just made a video about this a couple of days ago. Comparing performance of older gen CPU's with high end (recent) GPU's. Performance increases was.. Not impressive.

And even without the video, I don't agree with you here. The i7 2600 is still a very capable 1080p CPU! Even more capable in higher resolutions. DDR3 is still recent enough to be used without any trouble. The inly drawback being speed, which ultimately don't affect performance much anyways unless you're running 800MHz :P

Just slapping in a new GPU in that system gives him a very capable 1080p system.

No need to upgrade tbh, sure it's not a fortune, but he said a GTX 1060 is out of his budget so I rest my case. :)

29 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Totally agree^ :)

44 minutes ago, BoilInBagRis said:

Considering that people gain sudden interests in upgrading their PCs from a very old rigs, it's not unusual that people are willing to spend on new parts. Actually there is, go check it out. 

They stated in this thread they can't afford rx 580s/gtx 1060s and are looking towards stuff like the 1030, 560, and 1050 ti.

Could I have a source? I see no reason why DDR4 would be needed for "performance stability." What does that even mean?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

52 minutes ago, BoilInBagRis said:

Actually there is, go check it out. 

I'm curious about this as well. And not just find a user who went "I switched from DDR3 to DDR4 and my experience has been stable." I want an actual developer (as opposed to the company's PR team) making a comment and the reason why.

2 hours ago, Shqiptar said:

12gb RAM DDR3 , i7-2600 3.4ghz AMD Radeon HD 5450 512mb , 500GB HDD

Get a GTX 1050Ti or AMD RX 580.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

9 hours ago, BoilInBagRis said:

I just get impatient when people dont act sensibly, so bear with me.

First of all, either the benchmarks you looked at or your comparisons with CPUs you know is wrong (or both). Thanks to hyper threading a 2600 is still competitive to 6th amd 7th gen i5s.

Secondly, RAM frequency never affected Intel consumer platforms' performance much. It's Ryzen and X299 in which this becomes prominent.

Lastly, the definition of 'a fortune' is subjective. To OP, that's $150 US, which is not enough for anything faster than a 2600. With a display adapter though a graphics card upgrade is much needed.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

On 12/11/2017 at 4:58 PM, DocSwag said:

i get this pc for 200 euro (KOSOVO)

On 12/11/2017 at 5:40 PM, MVPernula said:

Linus actually just made a video about this a couple of days ago. Comparing performance of older gen CPU's with high end (recent) GPU's. Performance increases was.. Not impressive.

And even without the video, I don't agree with you here. The i7 2600 is still a very capable 1080p CPU! Even more capable in higher resolutions. DDR3 is still recent enough to be used without any trouble. The inly drawback being speed, which ultimately don't affect performance much anyways unless you're running 800MHz :P

Just slapping in a new GPU in that system gives him a very capable 1080p system.

No need to upgrade tbh, sure it's not a fortune, but he said a GTX 1060 is out of his budget so I rest my case. :)

Totally agree^ :)

i play videos in 4k and it doesnt lag or something