Faulty RX 480 or Driver issue?

pentotark
Go to solution Solved by yosh0r,

I was browsing the forum for fun and I read this thread so I made an acc, just to tell you it's not a broken card it just has sth to do with drivers. I had the exact same issues, any AAA title wouldn't even start, smaller games would, but super slow.

In my case it was some GTA5 mod that messed up the drivers. Just deinstall every driver and/or driver software like Radeon Settings / Relive or anything else related to AMD. Then make a clean install of drivers + Radeon Settings and you should be fine. At least I was after this procedure. Use at least 3 reboots, since it didn't work for me in the first place when I didn't reboot after installing driver and then instantly Radeon software. Just do it step by step and you will be fine. Delete from unessential to essential and install from essential to unessential. Easy. I had the exact same problems and they're gone now. Took me 3 days to figure it out so I hope this helps you getting it done faster. ;)

I own a XFX Radeon 480 and lately it is giving me some issues.

It was installed on a second pc I have and suddenly it gave be a black screen. No matter how many times I decided to restart the pc, I couldn't get anything on screen. I opened the pc and reseated everything and now I can see stuff on screen but windows wont start anymore. I reinstalled windows and everything worked fine except the fact that when I want to open the radeon control panel it says drivers are not installed properly. Plus I cannot run any 3D games.

Screenshot_1.png.b368f7757eaf911e6fd1132355d814f7.png

So I reinstalled the basic package from the amd website but the problem persists.

I decided to put this cart into my main PC, uninstalled nvidia drivers, and reinstalled basic radeon drivers but I get the same errors.

Also device manager shows this:

Screenshot_4.png.e24a45f2e3a3be77ed51f219e32ca181.png

The card works fine on desktop but I can't launch any games without errors.

Hope it is not broken T.T

have you tried downloading them from xfx's website?

or maybe downloading amd crimson relive may work. (It may be that the basic radeon drivers you have are not the latest ones, for reference my rx 480 is running crimson relive 17.1.1, which I think are the latest ones, check if yours are the same

10 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

have you tried downloading them from xfx's website?

or maybe downloading amd crimson relive may work. (It may be that the basic radeon drivers you have are not the latest ones, for reference my rx 480 is running crimson relive 17.1.1, which I think are the latest ones, check if yours are the same

I just installed the new drivers from the amd website, the big package including relive and I have the same issue.

Quick update:

Actually some games starts, such as Rocket League. Tho it averages 1fps across menus...

If I run software such as GPUz, it detect everything about the card but the sensors of frequency and temperature are set to zero or out of scale.

In that case it looks like a bad card, you should probably return it

I was browsing the forum for fun and I read this thread so I made an acc, just to tell you it's not a broken card it just has sth to do with drivers. I had the exact same issues, any AAA title wouldn't even start, smaller games would, but super slow.

In my case it was some GTA5 mod that messed up the drivers. Just deinstall every driver and/or driver software like Radeon Settings / Relive or anything else related to AMD. Then make a clean install of drivers + Radeon Settings and you should be fine. At least I was after this procedure. Use at least 3 reboots, since it didn't work for me in the first place when I didn't reboot after installing driver and then instantly Radeon software. Just do it step by step and you will be fine. Delete from unessential to essential and install from essential to unessential. Easy. I had the exact same problems and they're gone now. Took me 3 days to figure it out so I hope this helps you getting it done faster. ;)

2 hours ago, yosh0r said:

I followed your exact steps and for some reason I don't really know it worked. I did the same things over and over before and it didn't work... on 2 different PCs!

I really have no clue, I didn't even reboot so many times as you suggested. Thank you very much tho, I was completely lost!

EDIT: actually there are two things I did different things: I uninstalled all games that came with Win 10 pro installation and used the complete suite of Radeon drivers instead of the essential ones. But on one of the PCs still gives me the same issue even after using the complete suite.

I'm happy I could help. So creating the acc was worth it. :)

Well it definitely has to do sth with drivers and other AMD software. Just reinstalling over and over somehow works. A clean reinstall of Windows could also help. Something is wrong, good that it's not permanent tho.