Is CAM software accurate?

Cameron_99

Im currently converting some M4V files to MP4 and recently downloaded CAM to go with my Hue controller im getting for christmas. iv always used the Asus Fan expert software and found it pretty reliable. While monitoring CAM, i decided to pull of Asus and found a f5a2e24cb12fbd_CAMScreenshot.png.7281e852245bbc7b8a5a7735f97ee9af.png5a2e24ca7437e_Asusscreenshot.png.99edca6e69d1a2618de9f55a319aafd2.pngull 10 degree difference. Anyone know which software is more trustworthy?

You could use hwinfo/hwmonitor/cpuz to verify whats probably the more accurate temperature. Good thing to know would be if these two show the same sensor, there is more than one sensor on the board cpu related.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 minutes ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

You could use hwinfo/hwmonitor/cpuz to verify whats probably the more accurate temperature. Good thing to know would be if these two show the same sensor, there is more than one sensor on the board cpu related.

im leaning towards the Asus being the more accurate one. The CAM cpu sensor is going all over the place while the Asus is showing it to be a bit more stable, and the eyeballs agree with the stability lol

Use something like HWinfo which shows you all the CPU core temps, the CPU average temp, and the CPU socket temp.

Different programs will show you certain ones of these and that's why there is a difference.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Use something like HWinfo which shows you all the CPU core temps, the CPU average temp, and the CPU socket temp.

Different programs will show you certain ones of these and that's why there is a difference.

HWinfo is saying my cores are around 81-83...all about 16C away form TjMAX. nothing is throttling though, so theres that. it is telling the power limit is exceeded, not sure what that means though. BIOS setting?

how long can the i7 7700 run at these temps? iv got a lot of m4vs to convert lol

5 minutes ago, Cameron_99 said:

how long can the i7 7700 run at these temps? iv got a lot of m4vs to convert lol

As long as you want, they are not dangerous temps.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

As long as you want, they are not dangerous temps.

cool, then ill set it to work for a few hours while im out of the house tomorrow. a little bummed the ASUS software was off by that much. im installing a GRID v2 in a couple of weeks so its nice to find out the CAM is accurate though. thanks for the help mi amigos

14 minutes ago, Cameron_99 said:

cool, then ill set it to work for a few hours while im out of the house tomorrow. a little bummed the ASUS software was off by that much. im installing a GRID v2 in a couple of weeks so its nice to find out the CAM is accurate though. thanks for the help mi amigos

It's probably not off, just reading a socket temp sensor.

If you use software like HWinfo you can see all the sensors and pay attention to the ones you want.

Spoiler