OnePlus 5/5T Can't Play HD Video Streams

Multiple people have been reporting that the OnePlus 5 and 5T can't stream HD video content from multiple streaming sites. Looks like that 1080p screen is going to waste.

The OnePlus 5T is unable to stream content from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Google Play Movies, and other video services in high-definition, despite its HD-capable display and powerful hardware. The deficiency was noted in a thread on the OnePlus forums and points to lack of support for Widevine Level 1 DRM, which many services require for HD streaming. The 5T currently supports Widevine Level 3, which only covers standard definition streams. 

...A company spokesperson says that a future update for the 5T will enable Widevine Level 1, but did not elaborate on why it was omitted from the start. The spokesperson was unable to provide a time frame for when the update will be made available at this time.

I'm surprised that such a glaringly obvious fault managed to stay unnoticed. OnePlus hasn't been having a good year.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/10/16758728/oneplus-5t-netflix-amazon-prime-video-hd-streaming

damn, beat me to it.

this does somewhat prove Linus's view (and mine too) that 1440p displays on stuff like smartphones are useless, because nobody can distinguish the difference anyway.

720p is a bit low, but the fact is that nobody noticed until now, so -_-

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, WereCatf said:

Such a weird thing to omit.

wonder if it was intentional or not?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

wonder if it was intentional or not?

Widevine lvl1 was on both the OnePlus 3 and the OnePlus 3T from the beginning (and working beautifully, at least on my 3T), so you'd think that they wouldn't just forget to enable it on the 5/5T. Some sort of a licensing-gaffe, maybe?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 minutes ago, nd4spd said:

Multiple people have been reporting that the OnePlus 5 and 5T can't stream HD video content from multiple streaming sites. Looks like that 1080p screen is going to waste.

I'm surprised that such a glaringly obvious fault managed to stay unnoticed. OnePlus hasn't been having a good year.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/10/16758728/oneplus-5t-netflix-amazon-prime-video-hd-streaming

While the right thing to do here is properly support DRM that makes Hollywood tick, I can't help but wonder why the entertainment industry is so butthurt over people who acquire content illegally. Hmmm... IDK, maybe don't force DRM on us and you'd get more paying customers.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

When a Transformer TF701 with a Tegra 3 can play back HD video and a 2017 device can't, you know that some one has really screwed up before launch.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

While the right thing to do here is properly support DRM that makes Hollywood tick, I can't help but wonder why the entertainment industry is so butthurt over people who acquire content illegally. Hmmm... IDK, maybe don't force DRM on us and you'd get more paying customers.

^If your from the movie Industry, see how well games in the last few years have done without DRM compared to those with it.

PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

When a Transformer TF701 with a Tegra 3 can play back HD video and a 2017 device can't, you know that some one has really screwed up before launch.

Uh, the devices can play HD-video just fine, the issue here is about being able to play back video from certain sources that require a specific DRM-license in place -- without the said DRM-license, the quality is dropped down to 720p. Of course the devices can play HD-video just fine, if you play a non-DRMed one.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

F drm for video resolution. I wish more manufacturers omitted stuff like this to get attention of this cancerous trend tbh

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

^If your from the movie Industry, see how well games in the last few years have done without DRM compared to those with it.

Like e.g. the Witcher 3, which has done just fabulously without any DRM?

Image result for picard facepalm

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

A company spokesperson says that a future update for the 5T will enable Widevine Level 1, but did not elaborate on why it was omitted from the start. The spokesperson was unable to provide a time frame for when the update will be made available at this time.

As the OP quoted ^, so not a big deal.

Actually looking into a OnePlus 5... so this sucks to hear.

Hopefully both the 5 and 5T are updated pretty quickly to resolve this.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Uh, the devices can play HD-video just fine, the issue here is about being able to play back video from certain sources that require a specific DRM-license in place -- without the said DRM-license, the quality is dropped down to 720p. Of course the devices can play HD-video just fine, if you play a non-DRMed one.

The Tegra 3 in my tablet also handles DRM 1080p content just fine....

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

Like e.g. the Witcher 3, which has done just fabulously without any DRM?

Yep, and also Divinity Original Sin 2.

PMSL

OnePlus can't manage to make smartphones without compromising which is hilarious given that their slogan is "never settle".

Jesus. What next?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

RIP. My 3 doesn't appear to support Widevine L1 either....

Time to get real with OnePlus Support on Twitter.

Edit:

@nd4spd It appears the OnePlus 3 (and potentially 3T) also lack L1 Widevine certification.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Please note that the issue here is the DRM used by certain video streaming sites. It works fine for things like local playback, YouTube, and sites which does not use Widevine.

6 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

damn, beat me to it.

this does somewhat prove Linus's view (and mine too) that 1440p displays on stuff like smartphones are useless, because nobody can distinguish the difference anyway.

720p is a bit low, but the fact is that nobody noticed until now, so -_-

It's most certainly not useless. Especially not on phones like the OP 5T which has a pentile display too.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

RIP. My 3 doesn't appear to support Widevine L1 either....

Time to get real with OnePlus Support on Twitter.

You sure? Someone mentioned that it does earlier in the thread.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Please note that the issue here is the DRM used by certain video streaming sites. It works fine for things like local playback, YouTube, and sites which does not use Widevine.

It's most certainly not useless. Especially not on phones like the OP 5T which has a pentile display too.

You sure? Someone mentioned that it does earlier in the thread.

Yeah, I tried downloading the DRM Info app and the results I got are that my OP3 only supports L3. I've read on the OP Forums that some OP3 owners also don't have Widevine L1

Screenshot_20171211-093354.thumb.jpg.80fc2ff1bf13f9e38474368b1211247f.jpg

9 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Yes, agree the title is a little clickbait-y, it should be edited to say DRM streams from some services.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

It's very difficult to notice differences between 720p and 1080p on a 5 inch screen, so I am not surprised it took so long to surface.

11 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

It's very difficult to notice differences between 720p and 1080p on a 5 inch screen, so I am not surprised it took so long to surface.

Yeah. Took pretty damn long. This just verifies the truth that there is no need to go beyond 1080p on 5 inch screens.

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

I think with Netflix even 720p isn't possible with Widevine L3. I think you can only 480p can be used with that for DRM restricted content.

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

To me its night an day. I mean hell, most S8 users can tell the difference between 1440p and 1080 for power saving.