Lower FPS than expected

lior1111
Go to solution Solved by CrippledROBOT,
Just now, lior1111 said:

hehe yeah i was just worried that something is wrong with some of my other parts except the cpu.. im gonna give all my previous parts to my older brother as he likes games but only got a shitty laptop for school , i think he will be happy with an r9 390 and an i7 4790 :) 

If I didn't have a PC, I sure would be! 

If you're not overclocking and just want a quick fix, the i7 7700 will serve you well. You can (and I personally would because I love to overclock) go with an i7 7700k system, but this will require a high end cooler, Z-class motherboard, etc. If you don't want to bother with overclocking, I think you're on the right track friend :)

My pc should be a monster , im a competitive overwatch player and i get about 150fps average when i really need that 200-250+ for less input lag. 
I would appreciate any sort of help in troubleshooting what the problem is : 

Intel Core i7-4790 

Nvidia GTX 1080

Kingston SSDNow V300 

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB

Hynix HMT451U6BFR8A-PB 4x4GB

MSI z97 gaming 5 

Stock intel cpu cooler 

1 minute ago, lior1111 said:

My pc should be a monster , im a competitive overwatch player and i get about 150fps average when i really need that 200-250+ for less input lag. 
I would appreciate any sort of help in troubleshooting what the problem is : 

Intel Core i7-4790 

Nvidia GTX 1080

Kingston SSDNow V300 

Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB

Hynix HMT451U6BFR8A-PB 4x4GB

MSI z97 gaming 5 

Stock intel cpu cooler 

Are you playing at 1080p or at 1440p? That CPU may also be what is really holding you back. The i7 4790 is a good CPU, no doubt, though it and other 4 core 8 threaded i7s are beginning to show their age. Getting 200-250 in Overwatch requires turning settings down, lower res monitor, or something like a 1080ti and a i5 8600k or i7 8700k that has been overclocked. 

3 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Are you playing at 1080p or at 1440p? That CPU may also be what is really holding you back. The i7 4790 is a good CPU, no doubt, though it and other 4 core 8 threaded i7s are beginning to show their age. Getting 200-250 in Overwatch requires turning settings down, lower res monitor, or something like a 1080ti and a i5 8600k or i7 8700k that has been overclocked. 

im playing on a 144hz 1080p monitor. and im getting an i7 7700 from a friend for cheap soon , will it be enough?

10 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

im playing on a 144hz 1080p monitor. and im getting an i7 7700 from a friend for cheap soon , will it be enough?

It will certainly help a bit. Though my understanding, experience and experience of others indicates that even if you have something like 300fps on a 60hz monitor, input lag and experience is the very same as if you had the game running at 60fps. Therefore, shooting for something like 200fps on Overwatch on a 144hz monitor is a little ridiculous, seeing as you can only EXPERIENCE 144 REAL frames. Remember, you're ultimately limited to your monitor's specs. You can have the best PC in the world, but if your panel is 60hz, you're only going to be viewing 60fps, not 120 or something like that. 

To clarify, my i5 8600k and 1080ti can push Battlefield 1 past 144hz. I know this due to fps monitoring software that I've run. However, my panel is a 144hz G-sync (though "overclockable' to 165hz) display. Even when I turn G-sync and/or V-sync off and let the GPU and CPU run wild trying to crap out as many fps as possible, I'll only be able to SEE 144hz

4 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

It will certainly help a bit. Though my understanding, experience and experience of others indicates that even if you have something like 300fps on a 60hz monitor, input lag and experience is the very same as if you had the game running at 60fps. Therefore, shooting for something like 200fps on Overwatch on a 144hz monitor is a little ridiculous, seeing as you can only EXPERIENCE 144 REAL frames. Remember, you're ultimately limited to your monitor's specs. You can have the best PC in the world, but if your panel is 60hz, you're only going to be viewing 60fps, not 120 or something like that. 

yeah im well aware of that , but you can actually test your input lag in overwatch and when i get about 200-300 FPS on training range ( a map with some bots and no real players ) i get less input lag than when im playing on 120-150 fps against real players , plus it does dip under 144 fps sometimes so.. yeah

5 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

yeah im well aware of that , but you can actually test your input lag in overwatch and when i get about 200-300 FPS on training range ( a map with some bots and no real players ) i get less input lag than when im playing on 120-150 fps against real players , plus it does dip under 144 fps sometimes so.. yeah

I would assume that much of that is due to the fact that when you're on training range, you are on the local machine and not bouncing inputs from your PC to the server and back to your PC. Playing online doesn't just add in input lag, but it also creates more stress on the CPU and GPU as players and objects are no longer "game-dynamic" or "game-static". They are influenced by other player actions. The performance loss that you are experiencing (as well as the input lag) is due to network speed, server speed, system speed, and player count (in general).

Playing CS:GO against bots vs playing online, I will get the same FPS (a solid 144fps at 1440p, no problem). Input lag is slightly varied due to true online play versus "local" play. 

You COULD drop everything and get an i7 8700k and a 1080ti but that won't change input lag online (at least not very much). It may reduce it a bit, but won't make the experience as "raw" as the training levels are

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

I would assume that much of that is due to the fact that when you're on training range, you are on the local machine and not bouncing inputs from your PC to the server and back to your PC. Playing online doesn't just add in input lag, but it also creates more stress on the CPU and GPU as players and objects are no longer "game-dynamic" or "game-static". They are influenced by other player actions. The performance loss that you are experiencing (as well as the input lag) is due to network speed, server speed, system speed, and player count (in general).

You COULD drop everything and get an i7 8700k and a 1080ti but that won't change input lag online

alright , well ive actually had a "brilliant" idea right now which is checking pro players streams and they get about the same fps as me.. so i guess its fine hehe its just that on some harsh fights where i cant really look at my fps it feels alot lower , plus i started streaming and i think the cpu just cant handle that.. fps is cool and then sometimes it drops to 50 fps constant even if i turn off the stream it keeps on going 50fps until i reset the game. that one should surely indicate a cpu upgrade right?

3 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

alright , well ive actually had a "brilliant" idea right now which is checking pro players streams and they get about the same fps as me.. so i guess its fine hehe its just that on some harsh fights where i cant really look at my fps it feels alot lower , plus i started streaming and i think the cpu just cant handle that.. fps is cool and then sometimes it drops to 50 fps constant even if i turn off the stream it keeps on going 50fps until i reset the game. that one should surely indicate a cpu upgrade right?

Streaming will definitely beat on your CPU, especially high resolution streaming (even 720p 60fps streaming while gaming!). I actually wouldn't be surprised if you're getting 50fps at a 1080p 60fps stream. But a CPU upgrade will be a direct improvement in your streaming abilities. If you can afford the Coffee Lake chips, go for it. You'll notice a speed difference for sure. I even notice a performance boost going from my i7 5820k to the i5 8600k!

EDIT: regarding watching other people stream and seeing similar results must be, at least a little, relieving! As noted above, streaming while also gaming will often load up your CPU where you'll likely max out all cores and threads. 

Streaming will definitely beat on your CPU, especially high resolution streaming (even 720p 60fps streaming while gaming!). I actually wouldn't be surprised if you're getting 50fps at a 1080p 60fps stream. But a CPU upgrade will be a direct improvement in your streaming abilities. If you can afford the Coffee Lake chips, go for it. You'll notice a speed difference for sure. I even notice a performance boost going from my i7 5820k to the i5 8600k!

oh shit no kidding... well the thing is im gonna get a 7700 brand new for a really cheap price.. i might put it on another build but for now im gonna use it myself , ive aleardy commited to buying it kinda.. i hope it will be strong enough. 

Just now, TrigrH said:

If you want more frame rate you simple need more clock speed a 7700 will get you closer to 200 sure, but if you actually want the dank FPS in overwatch you want to have an all core OC of at-least 4.7ghz.

ive never dealt with overclocking and im gonna get a 7700 not a 7700k , from what i know its un-overclockable?

Just now, lior1111 said:

oh shit no kidding... well the thing is im gonna get a 7700 brand new for a really cheap price.. i might put it on another build but for now im gonna use it myself , ive aleardy commited to buying it kinda.. i hope it will be strong enough. 

The i7 7700 has a decently improved IPC so that should help a little bit! If you want to prevent massive frame drops in intense battles, turn down your stream's bit-rate if you can. Your CPU will be "polling" the in-game environment the same but won't be trying to work as hard on the actual streaming!

Just now, lior1111 said:

ive never dealt with overclocking and im gonna get a 7700 not a 7700k , from what i know its un-overclockable?

Yes you cannot overclock it, if you want over 200 fps you need a nice 4790k with a AIO or a new 8600k system.

You can lock the chip at its boost clock. This is not really recommended however as it will just eat up more power unnecessarily. There MAY be some sorcery where you "overclock" it, but that again, is just changing base frequencies and not really pushing PAST a boost clock. So to answer your question more directly, nope :(

The i7 7700 has a decently improved IPC so that should help a little bit! If you want to prevent massive frame drops in intense battles, turn down your stream's bit-rate if you can. Your CPU will be "polling" the in-game environment the same but won't be trying to work as hard on the actual streaming!

Yes there is SOME IPC improvements but it only has a single core turbo of 4.2ghz with a max of 4ghz on all 4 cores, its not enough for 250fps in overwatch.

You can lock the chip at its boost clock. This is not really recommended however as it will just eat up more power unnecessarily. There MAY be some sorcery where you "overclock" it, but that again, is just changing base frequencies and not really pushing PAST a boost clock. So to answer your question more directly, nope :(

not all boards can do that, and it wouldn't even work unless you buy a decent cooler.

Just now, TrigrH said:

Yes there is SOME IPC improvements but it only has a single core turbo of 4.2ghz with a max of 4ghz on all 4 cores, its not enough for 250fps in overwatch.

Agreed. It'll help a bit, but in streaming, the effect is small. The core count is the same and the IPC improvements are not really enough to make great leaps and bounds unless you're ALSO changing the stream's bit-rate and/or resolution etc. 

alright man , thanks alot! you have helped a ton. I will do my best , by the way , is there any recommended mobo for the 7700 im getting? i know a mobo should be pretty much a thing that needs to fit all the components , but there are still things for me to learn and maybe theres something i dont know about mobos hehe.. 

Just now, TrigrH said:

Yes you cannot overclock it, if you want over 200 fps you need a nice 4790k with a AIO or a new 8600k system.

ill see what i can do in the future about overclocking , i might learn watercooling when i can actually afford it xD thank you though!

Just now, lior1111 said:

alright man , thanks alot! you have helped a ton. I will do my best , by the way , is there any recommended mobo for the 7700 im getting? i know a mobo should be pretty much a thing that needs to fit all the components , but there are still things for me to learn and maybe theres something i dont know about mobos hehe.. 

ill see what i can do in the future about overclocking , i might learn watercooling when i can actually afford it xD thank you though!

You cant afford a 7700, since you will need a board and DDR4. Unless you can get a bios updated d3 motherboard a 4790k is a better choice.

Just now, lior1111 said:

I've always bought ASRock boards and never had any problems with them. I'm using my second ever Asus board and I've had some minor problems with Asus Aura (the RGB controlling features), but nothing else. I'd go with any highly rated non "Z" motherboard from the 200 series. :)

Just now, TrigrH said:

You cant afford a 7700, since you will need a board and DDR4. Unless you can get a bios updated d3 motherboard a 4790k is a better choice.

yeah but im getting the 7700 for 50% off man

Just now, lior1111 said:

yeah but im getting the 7700 for 50% off man

That's a great deal! If you have the money for the DDR4 (which you WILL need), then that's the best route. Sell off your old parts on Craigslist or whatever online service that you use! :)

Just now, TrigrH said:

have you seen the prices of DDR4? $200 USD for 16gb of the some decent stuff.

well i dont REALLY wanna deal with overclocking anyway tbh... so theres no reason for me to go K cpus

well i dont REALLY wanna deal with overclocking anyway tbh... so theres no reason for me to go K cpus

Then you're 100% fine. Just expect something like $170-250 for a good set. RAM prices are ridiculous right now. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Kf648d/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2666-memory-bls2k8g4d26bfsbk