Reliable and not too expensive PSUs?

Hallowenman

I am upgrading my PC with a new GPU very soon, and I am a bit concerned about my current PSU. It is a Sharkoon PSU that was included with the case, and it is 700W 80 Plus Bronze I think. Apparently this is a low tier PSU that is not recommended for gaming rigs at all. I have heard many horror stories about cheap and bad quality PSUs 'blowing up', and I want to replace it with something from a more trusted brand as I am upgrading to a brand new GPU. The GPU I am upgrading to is the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti SC which requires an 8-pin connector (link below).

What PSUs would be recommended? If I'm not wrong, 700W is plenty and I could probably do with less, but I would like to stay at around 700W to 750W. Budget is at about 1000NOK (120USD or 90GBP)

All help is highly appreciated, as this is the first time I am shopping for a PSU myself. Had I known how low tier my current PSU is this replacement would probably have happened a lot sooner!

Here are some of the PSUs I have been looking at a Norwegian website: https://www.komplett.no/category/10057/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning?nlevel=10000§28003§10057§10061&cnet-A00526-queryfacet=[700 TO 1199]&manufacturer=Corsair&manufacturer=EVGA&manufacturer=Cooler Master&sort=Price%3AASCENDING

And here is a link to the GPU from a Norwegian website just in case it helps: https://www.komplett.no/product/962435/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/skjermkort/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-sc?noredirect=true?noredirect=true#

CPU: Intel i5-9600k @ 4.9GHz Cooling Noctua NH-D14 Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC PSU: Corsair TX650M SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB SSD (NVMe M.2) + Samsung 870 EVO SSD 2TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 Case: SilverStone Redline Series RL06 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Display: Samsung 34" SJ55W Series S34J550WQU Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S Sound: SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019 Black Joystick: Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino Wheel: Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Alcantara edition Pedals: Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3 Shifter: Thrustmaster TH8A

Take a look at the PSU list here.

Choose something in the top 3-4 tiers.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

14 minutes ago, Hallowenman said:

I am upgrading my PC with a new GPU very soon, and I am a bit concerned about my current PSU. It is a Sharkoon PSU that was included with the case, and it is 700W 80 Plus Bronze I think. Apparently this is a low tier PSU that is not recommended for gaming rigs at all. I have heard many horror stories about cheap and bad quality PSUs 'blowing up', and I want to replace it with something from a more trusted brand as I am upgrading to a brand new GPU. The GPU I am upgrading to is the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti SC which requires an 8-pin connector (link below).

What PSUs would be recommended? If I'm not wrong, 700W is plenty and I could probably do with less, but I would like to stay at around 700W to 750W. Budget is at about 1000NOK (120USD or 90GBP)

All help is highly appreciated, as this is the first time I am shopping for a PSU myself. Had I known how low tier my current PSU is this replacement would probably have happened a lot sooner!

Here are some of the PSUs I have been looking at a Norwegian website: https://www.komplett.no/category/10057/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning?nlevel=10000§28003§10057§10061&cnet-A00526-queryfacet=[700 TO 1199]&manufacturer=Corsair&manufacturer=EVGA&manufacturer=Cooler Master&sort=Price%3AASCENDING

And here is a link to the GPU from a Norwegian website just in case it helps: https://www.komplett.no/product/962435/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/skjermkort/evga-geforce-gtx-1070-ti-sc?noredirect=true?noredirect=true#

700W could power two 1070 Tis. Here's a PSU that will very much do the job for you
https://www.komplett.no/product/915831/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning/enheter/corsair-tx550m-550w-psu#

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Corsair's CXM Grey labelled PSUs are generally some of the best in terms of price for the quality, so I'd suggest looking for one of those. 

What is a "Gray labelled PSU"? I found a Corsair CX750M, but the CX and M letters are green. Is this not recommended then?

CPU: Intel i5-9600k @ 4.9GHz Cooling Noctua NH-D14 Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F GAMING RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury DDR4 3200MHz GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Ti SC PSU: Corsair TX650M SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB SSD (NVMe M.2) + Samsung 870 EVO SSD 2TB + Samsung 850 Evo 250GB HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM008 Case: SilverStone Redline Series RL06 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Display: Samsung 34" SJ55W Series S34J550WQU Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S Sound: SteelSeries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019 Black Joystick: Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino Wheel: Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Alcantara edition Pedals: Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3 Shifter: Thrustmaster TH8A

16 minutes ago, Hallowenman said:

What is a "Gray labelled PSU"? I found a Corsair CX750M, but the CX and M letters are green. Is this not recommended then?

The green CX is older and lower quality.

You could go for a CX550M or CX650M, 550 is enough and 650 is plenty.

https://www.komplett.no/product/924803/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning/enheter/corsair-cx650m-650w-psu?offerId=KOMPLETT-310-924803

https://www.komplett.no/product/876232/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning/enheter/corsair-cx550m-550w-psu?offerId=KOMPLETT-310-876232#

If you can step up to the TX550M it's higher quality and also higher efficiency.

On the PSU Tier list I see that the TXM Corsais units that has been recommended here a couple of times are in tier 1, but it says 2017. How do I tell if it is a 2017 unit, would that be the gray labeling? Some local websites provide very little details sometimes.

6 minutes ago, Hallowenman said:

On the PSU Tier list I see that the TXM Corsais units that has been recommended here a couple of times are in tier 1, but it says 2017. How do I tell if it is a 2017 unit, would that be the gray labeling? Some local websites provide very little details sometimes.

Yeah, plus the TX model name was retired for a few years so there are none of the old units left on store shelves.

33 minutes ago, Hallowenman said:

The CX units with the Green label are the old series and aren't very good. The new series have Grey labels and are very good for the price. 

10 minutes ago, Hallowenman said:

Yeah, the new TXM series have Grey labels, the old ones have Yellow I believe. I wouldn't go entirely off the photos though, as it's fairly common for stores to use the wrong photo if they don't take their own product pictures. If you're unsure, it's probably best to contact the retailer asking for details of the product, maybe even a picture of the actual ones they have in stock so you can tell which year it is. 

Just now, Sakkura said:

Komplett is pretty good about having the right pics. I wouldn't worry about it.

I found the TX650M there. So for a 1070 Ti that would be plenty, and also a good quality PSU? I tried to find comparisons between the CX and TX series, but most of those threads were from 2013 where people generally said the CX series was lower quality and should be avoided. Those units must have been the green ones

1 hour ago, Hallowenman said:

I found the TX650M there. So for a 1070 Ti that would be plenty, and also a good quality PSU? I tried to find comparisons between the CX and TX series, but most of those threads were from 2013 where people generally said the CX series was lower quality and should be avoided. Those units must have been the green ones

It's absolutely plenty.

The TX series is significantly higher quality; both the TX and CX series have been improved since 2013, and the new TX remains well ahead of the new CX. It's also higher efficiency so you save a bit on the power bill and get less noise.