Configuring my Buffalo Router

arvintob

Greetings and good day!

I am in need of assistance in configuring my wireless routers, one is a PROLINK PRS1241B and the other is a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300Nh2

Right now, the Prolink is the one connecting to the internet (it is provided by the internet service provider and can only access basic features like changing IP and ssid security settings as well as disable SSID broadcast)

How can i configure my buffalo router as the access point (so my devices would connect to this) and be able to use it's QOS function / USB printer function when I connect it to the ProLink,

When i connect the prolink to the buffalo internet port via lan cables, i am unable to access the internet but when i connect them via lan ports, i am able to access the internet but cant access the buffalo router

Both devices use the same IP

6 minutes ago, arvintob said:

Well there's your problem ...
For the rest
download your manual from here:
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/networking/300mbps-wireless/routers/archive/airstation-trade-nfiniti-trade-wireless-n-high-power-router/
and look at point 3.1
You want to use the second option probably, which would be 3.1.2 but for some reason they have 3.1.1 twice in the manual ;), you want the one with an internet gateway.

38 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

Well there's your problem ...
For the rest
download your manual from here:
http://www.buffalo-technology.com/en/products/networking/300mbps-wireless/routers/archive/airstation-trade-nfiniti-trade-wireless-n-high-power-router/
and look at point 3.1
You want to use the second option probably, which would be 3.1.2 but for some reason they have 3.1.1 twice in the manual ;), you want the one with an internet gateway.

With the change in IP address of the Buffalo Router, I am now able to access both configuration settings for both routers (

but the setup is currently still like this
Prolink -> Buffalo via Lan Port

instead of

Prolink -> Buffalo via Internet Port

is there any difference at all when using the internet port? will the qos function work as well? i've tested the usb printer function and just needed to setup a new port for it

1 minute ago, arvintob said:

With the change in IP address of the Buffalo Router, I am now able to access both configuration settings for both routers (

instead of

is there any difference at all when using the internet port? will the qos function work as well? i've tested the usb printer function and just needed to setup a new port for it

Well, yes there is. Your ISP provided box is a router as well. When you connect a router to a router you get double NAT. For web browsing it wont cause much issue. But for gaming and some other applications it can cause HELL. Thats if you connect to the Buffalo routers WAN port and have it configured as a standard router. If you use the LAN port then you need to disable DHCP on the buffalo router, keep in mind this would all be handled by the ISP provide box. Though QoS options will not work. What you really need is a standard modem with no router built it and use the buffalo router. The issue here, depending on where you are in the world, that might not be possible. So this is where you might contact your ISP and see if they can put your modem/router in bridge mode, making it just a standard modem. This would allow you to use the buffalo router as a standard router with little to no advanced configuration. Though this is up to your provider. The next way you can configure it is as an AP, though not all routers have this function. It basically just acts like a standard AP, which is just a wireless radio connected to a router. Again QoS options would most likely be disabled, as your not using it in router mode. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, arvintob said:

Greetings and good day!

I am in need of assistance in configuring my wireless routers, one is a PROLINK PRS1241B and the other is a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300Nh2

Right now, the Prolink is the one connecting to the internet (it is provided by the internet service provider and can only access basic features like changing IP and ssid security settings as well as disable SSID broadcast)

How can i configure my buffalo router as the access point (so my devices would connect to this) and be able to use it's QOS function / USB printer function when I connect it to the ProLink,

When i connect the prolink to the buffalo internet port via lan cables, i am unable to access the internet but when i connect them via lan ports, i am able to access the internet but cant access the buffalo router

see professor messors routing video on youtube

but shortform

router1 ethport 1 sends signal to router2 wan port

router1 gateway=192.168.1.1

dhcp list 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.51

router2 will need a gateway changed to 192.168.1.2

dhcp 192.168.1.52 to 192.168.1.101

note clients attached to router2 will still want gateway=192.168.1.1 as this is the front door to internet

14 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

but shortform

note clients attached to router2 will still want gateway=192.168.1.1 as this is the front door to internet

No they won't, they wait their gateway to be the local router.

A router's job is to route, unless it's acting as a switch with all the routing functionality turned off.

The second router points to the first router with the first router's default gateway which will then connect to the internet and use a default route to get out to the ISP.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 hours ago, arvintob said:

instead of

Did you actually read that manual already?
it has a lot of interesting information in it. Like you can set the WAN type to "Disabled". This is also what they recommend.
My guess is this actually means there is no NAT but you can still have an inside and outside port so yor QoS my still work. You should be able to use the wan port in this stage. your dhcp will be done by the gateway router as will your DNS, you just have to set up your SSID for the wireless.
If your Gateway is for example 192.168.0.1 you can make your AP 192.168.0.2 and for example set your DHCP range to be from 192.168.10 till 192.168.0.250
Your subnetmask will be 255.255.255.0.
That way you might be able to make it work. I haven't read into the QoS settings for this thing as my time is limited, but I sugest just looking at the manual, it's a very good manual (I have rarely seen such a good manual for a consumer router).

2 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

but shortform

For the OP, please don't look at this advice.
See here:

on why it is incorrect.

3 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

Did you actually read that manual already?
it has a lot of interesting information in it. Like you can set the WAN type to "Disabled". This is also what they recommend.
My guess is this actually means there is no NAT but you can still have an inside and outside port so yor QoS my still work. You should be able to use the wan port in this stage. your dhcp will be done by the gateway router as will your DNS, you just have to set up your SSID for the wireless.
If your Gateway is for example 192.168.0.1 you can make your AP 192.168.0.2 and for example set your DHCP range to be from 192.168.10 till 192.168.0.250
Your subnetmask will be 255.255.255.0.
That way you might be able to make it work. I haven't read into the QoS settings for this thing as my time is limited, but I sugest just looking at the manual, it's a very good manual (I have rarely seen such a good manual for a consumer router).

Will do a bunch of testing soon,

yep, already ready some parts of the manual as I am under time constraint as well due to work + studies
I already set the WAN type and DHCP server for the Buffalo Router to disabled.
As far as I know only the broadcast SSID feature as well as QoS is active on Buffalo

as for the ProLink, i simply disabled the broadcast of the SSID because well that's all I can do in relation to networking, can't even change the thing's IP address

Thread cleaned.

Please keep it on-topic and avoid attacking other members.

Always follow the Community Standards.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !