Help with monitor display...

Yana

Hello, I have recently bought  a second monitor, a Dell 24' Monitor - S2718NX   a week ago. For the past few days it has been working exactly as I would have liked it to work. But now, at 2:33am  there has been some moving lines going up. At first they would go up to the top, but now it goes to the middle of the screen and starts jittering. I looked up online that dust can create this, so I cleaned my computer from all the dust. After cleaning it is still doing this. When I shut my computer down to clean the computer, it said "no HDMI signal from your device." When it said that I also checked the HDMI cable and it was secured tightly into the monitor and the back of the computer. Do you guys know anything that causes and would fix this?

Ty. I have provided a picture on what it looks like. (sorry if it doesn't help or isn't that great.

IMG_0273.JPG

can you test with a different monitor or tv?

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

Just now, 21rkosta said:

can you test with a different monitor or tv?

as in the HDMI cable? I did that earlier, I switched the hdmi cable and it still doesnt work. Even when i pulled the hdmi cable plug the monitor was still doing the same thing.

What I think is that something is wrong with the contact. Try different GPU port or Display port, if you have the option. I don't think it's a faulty monitor.

@Yana well no i mean like actually testing with a completely different monitor or tv to test if its a problem with that single monitor or it happens to every monitor you connect to

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

1 minute ago, 21rkosta said:

@Yana well no i mean like actually testing with a completely different monitor or tv to test if its a problem with that single monitor or it happens to every monitor you connect to

I'm sorry, i cant quite wrap my head around what you are saying... does this apply to what you are saying by any chance- Yesterday, i took out the hdmi cable and switched it with the other monitor and when i switched it, I still had the same problem. Its only the Dell monitor thats having a problem, not my primary monitor. (if this is not it im sorry)

5 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

What I think is that something is wrong with the contact. Try different GPU port or Display port, if you have the option. I don't think it's a faulty monitor.

...would i need to turn off my computer in order to switch them? cause i would really like to respond immediately. 

Just now, Yana said:

...would i need to turn off my computer in order to switch them? cause i would really like to respond immediately. 

Well, It's better if you turn your PC off, change cable position and turn the PC back on but if you have like 5 minute boot times, I guess you can do it while running.

It's just that you have better chances of hardware picking the signal properly.. At least that's how it's been from my experience. Once I configure my desktop, monitor and everything, I restart the system to cement the settings and start everything from fresh.. If that makes any sense :) 

1 minute ago, Light-Yagami said:

Well, It's better if you turn your PC off, change cable position and turn the PC back on but if you have like 5 minute boot times, I guess you can do it while running.

It's just that you have better chances of hardware picking the signal properly.. At least that's how it's been from my experience. Once I configure my desktop, monitor and everything, I restart the system to cement the settings and start everything from fresh.. If that makes any sense :) 

yup, ty!

@Light-Yagami I turned off the pc, switch the dvi ports of the 2 monitors and the problem has not changed at all

4 minutes ago, Yana said:

@Light-Yagami I turned off the pc, switch the dvi ports of the 2 monitors and the problem has not changed at all

did you try different GPU port?

I think there might be something up with your GPU?

2 minutes ago, Light-Yagami said:

did you try different GPU port?

I think there might be something up with your GPU?

Um.... theres a DVI port where my USB ports are, can i use that? Also Could it really be my GPU if my primary monitor is working fine?

Just now, Yana said:

Um.... theres a DVI port where my USB ports are, can i use that? Also Could it really be my GPU if my primary monitor is working fine?

No, plug your monitor directly into the back of your GPU. All other DVI ports probably lead to motherboard which will use CPU graphics. (or aren't even connected anywhere)

if the monitor that refuses to work doesn't display the correct picture even if it's using different port with different cable on different GPU port, It's probably faulty.

Just now, Light-Yagami said:

No, plug your monitor directly into the back of your GPU. All other DVI ports probably lead to motherboard which will use CPU graphics. (or aren't even connected anywhere)

if the monitor that refuses to work doesn't display the correct picture even if it's using different port with different cable on different GPU port, It's probably faulty.

Yea, I plugged it into different DVI Slots, still doesnt work. I reset PC, doesnt work. I change cables, doesnt work. Should i call Dell?

1 minute ago, Yana said:

Yea, I plugged it into different DVI Slots, still doesnt work. I reset PC, doesnt work. I change cables, doesnt work. Should i call Dell?

Yup. RMA time.

That or try plugging it into different system if you can to see if it works. if it doesn't, contact Dell

Just now, Light-Yagami said:

Yup. RMA time.

I was looking on the dell site and they have 2 different kinds of support, PRO and IT, whats pro .-.

Just now, Yana said:

Yup. RMA time.

I was looking on the dell site and they have 2 different kinds of support, PRO and IT, whats pro .-.

EDIT:

That or try plugging it into different system if you can to see if it works. if it doesn't, contact Dell