Internal Struggle, Which CPU?

Go to solution Solved by Princess Luna,

0bxM5CU.png

Opening with this:

Wa06sIp.jpg

Ryzen+ 7 2800X to be a 12 cores / 24 threads behemoth working at an out of the box frequency of 5.1Ghz on AMD's latest IPC and 12nm Lithography.... Fuck! I can not deny this processor has got me thinking through the entire night, I recently sold my i7 8700k and I was going to, even already made the order and would pay for it tomorrow, rebuild around the locked i7 8700 as my signature shows my planned new configuration for a more wise money management.

Thing is this processor is sounding far too promising for me to ignore its existence.... and I am honestly with tied hands in here and honestly considering it, what's the issue? well being a whole 1 month and half without any PC at all only my laptop and still face availability issues should that February 1st release be as bad as Coffee Lake's initial release.

Frankly I have no idea how well will this R+ 7 2800X fare against the i7 8700, I do high end gaming, hobbyist content creations (pony videos for youtube on Sony Vegas, draws on photoshop and coredraw and so on), along side work on it as I need tons of Microsoft Office instances open for my work... Realistic speaking the i7 8700 is sufficient HOWEVER I would be lying that I don't have an itching need for bleeding edge.

I was looking forward to talk to some people what do they really expect from processor and if sacrifice almost 2 months without any PC could actually pay off in the end... damn no gaming on university vacation (january is off here in Brazil) sounds awful... but we're talking about doubling the cores and threads while a good chance that this processor reaches Skylake in single thread potential... it is a potential i9 7920x for so much cheaper and on a consumer friendly platform unlike x299...

Please help out :)

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

uu is that official now? 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Opening with this:

Wa06sIp.jpg

Ryzen+ 7 2800X to be a 12 cores / 24 threads behemoth working at an out of the box frequency of 5.1Ghz on AMD's latest IPC and 12nm Lithography.... Fuck! I can not deny this processor has got me thinking through the entire night, I recently sold my i7 8700k and I was going to, even already made the order and would pay for it tomorrow, rebuild around the locked i7 8700 as my signature shows my planned new configuration for a more wise money management.

Thing is this processor is sounding far too promising for me to ignore its existence.... and I am honestly with tied hands in here and honestly considering it, what's the issue? well being a whole 1 month and half without any PC at all only my laptop and still face availability issues should that February 1st release be as bad as Coffee Lake's initial release.

Frankly I have no idea how well will this R+ 7 2800X fare against the i7 8700, I do high end gaming, hobbyist content creations (pony videos for youtube on Sony Vegas, draws on photoshop and coredraw and so on), along side work on it as I need tons of Microsoft Office instances open for my work... Realistic speaking the i7 8700 is sufficient HOWEVER I would be lying that I don't have an itching need for bleeding edge.

I was looking forward to talk to some people what do they really expect from processor and if sacrifice almost 2 months without any PC could actually pay off in the end... damn no gaming on university vacation (january is off here in Brazil) sounds awful... but we're talking about doubling the cores and threads while a good chance that this processor reaches Skylake in single thread potential... it is a potential i9 7920x for so much cheaper and on a consumer friendly platform unlike x299...

I wonder what Intel response to this will be.

Maybe they'll try and introduce consumer grade 12 core CPU's as well. 

My personal PC:

CPU: Intel - Core i5 8600k  Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo  Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz DDR4 Storage: San Disk SSD Plus 240 GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB  Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass ATX  PSU: Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze Certified Semi Modular PSU.

Peripherals:

Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Keyboard: Rii - RK100 Wired Standard Keyboard Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor Headset: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset Speakers: Logitech - Z150 0W 2ch Speakers

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VVwvHN

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

uu is that official now? 

As far as I know no way in hell, it seems based on AMD's own satements the they are using the same design on a different node which may increase clock speeds some but doesn't call for additional cores.

AMD could could have changed their mind but until they make an official announcement this is all just another AMD hype filled rumor mill

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, TheNight said:

I wonder what Intel response to this will be.

Maybe they'll try and introduce consumer grade 12 core CPU's as well. 

Please -snip- quotes to avoid wall of text ^^

It seems AMD is not responding to Coffee Lake at all, this is coming in anticipation to the Ice Lake 10nm 8c/16t processors Intel is bringing around August/September.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

As far as I know no way in hell, it seems based on AMD's own satements the they are using the same design of a different node which may increase clock speeds some but doesn't call for additional cores.

AMD could could have changed their mind but until they make an official announcement this is all just another AMD hype filled rumor mill

there were early rumors saying that the next zeplin die would have 6 core CCXs, and the node shrink has potential for raised frequencies but i thought this was just pure rumors from that one kitguru video, but i havent seen this exact slide before, maybe its in it but i dont remember seeing it. like i cant say i would dislike a 12 core chip at 5GHz but that seems pretty insane seeing as Ryzen just caps hard at 4.1GHz right now and i wouldnt expect more than a 10% increaase so 4.5GHz ish overclocks?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Please -snip- quotes to avoid wall of text ^^

My bad. 

It seems AMD is not responding to Coffee Lake at all, this is coming in anticipation to the Ice Lake 10nm 8c/16t processors Intel is bringing around August/September.

Is this true? Why are they releasing them so early of 2018?

My personal PC:

CPU: Intel - Core i5 8600k  Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo  Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz DDR4 Storage: San Disk SSD Plus 240 GB + WD Caviar Blue 1TB  Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Windforce OC 8GB Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass ATX  PSU: Corsair CX550M 80+ Bronze Certified Semi Modular PSU.

Peripherals:

Mouse: Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum Wired Optical Mouse Keyboard: Rii - RK100 Wired Standard Keyboard Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor Headset: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel Headset Speakers: Logitech - Z150 0W 2ch Speakers

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

Just now, TheNight said:

Is this true? Why are they releasing them so early of 2018?

Becuase AMD came from the dead and now is competing again :P

Personal Desktop":

And I hope they continuing competing. I enjoy this new competitive market between Intel and AMD. 

My personal PC:

Peripherals:

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

but i havent seen this exact slide before, maybe its in it but i dont remember seeing it.

It was in a recent "leak" (last I checked) so its in essence just a rumor with a picture, whether it is real or not is hard to say given how even I could create a amd like chart or roadmap slide, this has happened beofre with both green, red, and blue team so my initial reaction is to treat it as false until proven true

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

It was in a recent "leak" so its in essence just a rumor with a picture, whether it is real or not is hard to say given how even I could create a amd like chart or roadmap slide, this has happened beofre with both green, red, and blue team so my initial reaction is to treat it as false until proven true

well i did think Ryzen was a bit insaine when we first heard of it so who knows, maybe AMD have just roided up to another level and are about to kick Intel in the nuts harder than a nuke but i just dont see that...

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

like really, what basis do you have for this being true?... i dont see it.

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

like really, what basis do you have for this being true?... i dont see it.

Well this is part of the thread, how far can we believe any thing? safe bet is get the i7 8700 but damn be buyers remorse just a few months later.

Personal Desktop":

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Well this is part of the thread, how far can we believe any thing? safe bet is get the i7 8700 but damn be buyers remorse just a few months later.

id wait, seeing as by the time this drops, if it does, the B and H series boards will be out too. you could run an external GPU setup with the laptop for now or something

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

id wait, seeing as by the time this drops, if it does, the B and H series boards will be out too. you could run an external GPU setup with the laptop for now or something

Nah I want the z370 to make use of my already own Trident Z 3200mhz and hells I would not mess with dGPU for my laptop costs and hassle xD

Personal Desktop":

5 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Realistically there is no reason to believe any of it, clock speeds increasing slightly (emphasis on slightly 4.5 would be my max guess) is the only thing that was projected due to the node change

Unless amd changed plans after seeing intels intentions I see no reason that this would happen, and given that they are not swimming in money any massive change such as this is bound to have compromises

28 minutes ago, TheNight said:

Maybe they'll (Intel) try and introduce consumer grade 12 core CPU's as well. 

They don't have much of a choice imo. If the 2700 is 12/24 the 2600 might be 8/16 and the 2500x might be 6/12. As well as the lower 2300 and 2400x being 6/6 if that's the trend.

And don't get me started on the TR4 socket Zen...

16 cores is $900 this gen. Imagine 32/64 on the enthusiast tier?

Intel better wake the hell up and either call bluff or hope that the next refresh can keep them afloat.

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

1 minute ago, Polakki said:

official or some AMD hype bullshit ?

We can hope it's not the latter.

??? Wanna join ??? my free??gift card??? giveaway??? Click ⤵ the subrscribe button?? ,turn? the notifications on ??? and finally leave a nice comment ??down below⬇⬇ , now without further adue ??? lets get on?? with the video▶▶

I wonder (if this is true) would it be a server worthy CPU?

My personal PC:

Peripherals:

Laptop: 

Medion  E6239 MD99452

PCPartpicker Link: 

Just now, TheNight said:

I wonder (if this is true) would it be a server worthy CPU?

Server quality on a personal level.

You could use that phrase for marketing if you change it up a little...

You know, i am quite struggling with my opinion on this.

I heard that 14nm FF (GF) is basically 20nm node remade into FinFET 3D transistor.

12nm should be node designed for AMD, so if they manage such awesome properties (~200W for 12c/24t at 4.4 or something), it will be heccin' awesome.

Looking at Titan V, these CPUs might be possible.

It is definitely worth waiting IMO, because you could have dirt cheap CPU comparable with the praised 9700K with very similiar gaming performance (CCX & Infinity Fabric is still there)

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

58 minutes ago, PerfectPlasma said:

And don't get me started on the TR4 socket Zen...

16 cores is $900 this gen. Imagine 32/64 on the enthusiast tier?

Intel better wake the hell up and either call bluff or hope that the next refresh can keep them afloat.

Tr4 wouldn't be 32/64 if the ccxs go up to 6 cores, they would hit 24/48 using the current "infinity fabric two 1800x's" strategy

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:
Spoiler

Opening with this:

Wa06sIp.jpg

If true, shit is about to get fun in PC land.

I just hope there's A LOT of IMC improvement as well because current IMCs are complete trash.

20 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Tr4 wouldn't be 32/64 if the ccxs go up to 6 cores, they would hit 24/48 using the current "infinity fabric two 1800x's" strategy

24/48 is still pretty great for $1000 when Intel's could be double that price

0bxM5CU.png

Personal Desktop":