ram numbers?

Flawizz

so i heard of these ram numbers before. for example 16-18-18-38 which is what memtest shows me now. what do these mean? why do most people have 4 of the same number. for example 16-16-16-16. im curious because im having some ram issues

thanks in advance

those are the timings of the RAM, the clocks, in how many cycles it takes for each of them to refresh.

in order: CAS, tRCD, tRP, rRAS and they are an important part in memory larency. there is also the Row Refresh Cycle Time tRFC and the comand rate CR that are important.

L16 is pretty normal for a DDR4 memory kit.

im not sure if there is any DDR4 kit that will do 16 cycles tRAS seeing as that tends to be above 30 even on DDR3 kits, which run slower and have tighter clocks. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

39 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

those are the timings of the RAM, the clocks, in how many cycles it takes for each of them to refresh.

in order: CAS, tRCD, tRP, rRAS and they are an important part in memory larency. there is also the Row Refresh Cycle Time tRFC and the comand rate CR that are important.

L16 is pretty normal for a DDR4 memory kit.

im not sure if there is any DDR4 kit that will do 16 cycles tRAS seeing as that tends to be above 30 even on DDR3 kits, which run slower and have tighter clocks. 

so 16-18-18-38 is normal? 

Just now, Flawizz said:

so 16-18-18-38 is normal? 

yah thats normal, a bit slow i think, 16-16-16-38 or so would be more standard but there isnt a massive difference and those are perfectly normal timings

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016