Headphones to wear on a plane/bus/train?

atomicmonkey101

Hey Everyone,

I am looking for some good noise-cancelling headphones that would be great for listening to music or podcast on loud transportation. Are there any brands in particular that are good? Specific headphones? 

The price range is probably under about $300, not that I have the money right now, but when I need them I probs wont want to spend more than that.

Thanks for the input!

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

ANC is satan and you sound stay away. Getting something with PA is a better sounding and more savvy option. 
I suggest the Shure SE-215's (Nothing high then that, they are brutal to listen too)
Or the likes of Eytmotic. 

I heard that the ath-anc1's are pretty good, i don't own them though, I do own ath-m30s and the sound quality is amazing so this should sound no different.

I heard that the ath-anc1's are pretty good, i don't own them though, I do own ath-m30s and the sound quality is amazing so this should sound no different.

Why would a different headphone not sound different?

Why would a different headphone not sound different?

Magicu, ANC on those isn't really good anyway, so naturally they sound better, but don't represent a good value.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 429s's

Closed headphones and REALLY decent quality for a phones/tablets

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

ANC is satan and you sound stay away. Getting something with PA is a better sounding and more savvy option. 

I suggest the Shure SE-215's (Nothing high then that, they are brutal to listen too)

Or the likes of Eytmotic. 

+1 for the SE-215s, they are what I have for portable use, they are very good at isolating noise around you and are very comfortable. They aren't for everyone though due to the design of the cable, they can only be worn in this manner.

215ear1.jpg

But there is no way in hell they will fall out of your ears! Good for people who want to wear them while exercising as well. The earphones themselves are detachable from the cable so if the cable breaks then you can just go and get a new one.

Due to the flat design you can even sleep with them in.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 429s's

Closed headphones and REALLY decent quality for a phones/tablets

I listened to a pair of those the other day, and was a little surprised at how good they are.  But i wouldn't use them in a noisy environment. Not after having the HD280's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I can recommend ATH-M50s.

They're pretty good for isolating you from outside noise (as they're a closed headphone), and they sound great!

They're well within your price range too.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention I regularly use them on busy tube journeys

Brandon (B-Roll) swears by his Bose Quiet Comfort 15s. I've tried them and they're surprisingly not terrible. The ANC works VERY well.

With that said, I'm caring less and less about headphones these days. IEMs are just.... soooooo superior if you look at it from a strictly $$$ per sound quality standpoint. They also offer excellent noise isolation.

My video just went up of the Sennhesier IE80s, and I've just started breaking in the Etymotic ER4 and both of them blow the doors off anything I can find for $300 for headphones while being much more portable and having better isolation.

Not everyone likes jamming things in their ear canals though.

I listened to a pair of those the other day, and was a little surprised at how good they are.  But i wouldn't use them in a noisy environment. Not after having the HD280's.

I love them. They're my first pair of decent headphones. I plan on getting a pair of 558s for my PC soon :D

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

+1 for the SE-215s, they are what I have for portable use, they are very good at isolating noise around you and are very comfortable. They aren't for everyone though due to the design of the cable, they can only be worn in this manner.

But there is no way in hell they will fall out of your ears! Good for people who want to wear them while exercising as well. The earphones themselves are detachable from the cable so if the cable breaks then you can just go and get a new one.

I know, I've owned a pair for the past three years. 

And they don't sit flat for everyone. 

Open headphones and annoy the crap out of everyone :P

lolol no thanks

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Beats By Dr. Dre Studio headphones they the best look the best they give swag

I dont think soo sir..... 

Brandon (B-Roll) swears by his Bose Quiet Comfort 15s. I've tried them and they're surprisingly not terrible. The ANC works VERY well.

With that said, I'm caring less and less about headphones these days. IEMs are just.... soooooo superior if you look at it from a strictly $$$ per sound quality standpoint. They also offer excellent noise isolation.

My video just went up of the Sennhesier IE80s, and I've just started breaking in the Etymotic ER4 and both of them blow the doors off anything I can find for $300 for headphones while being much more portable and having better isolation.

Not everyone likes jamming things in their ear canals though.

yeah I dont mind in ears. I thought that over ears might be slightly better for noise isolation but yeah I saw your vid on the ie80s and they seem pretty good. I check the bose heahphones or earbuds or whatever.

215ear1.jpg

sweetm, thanks man.

this wasn't serious (as obvious)

oh, sorry man, the comment sounded serious because it looked like you were suggesting them as fashion headphones. which is not that far fetched.