The NSA and other cyber-criminals use a tool to remove entries from Windows' event log - but there's a way to recover them

Delicieuxz

Detection and recovery of NSA’s covered up tracks

Part of the NSA cyber weapon framework DanderSpritz is eventlogedit, a piece of software capable of removing individual lines from Windows Event Log files. Now that this tool is leaked and public, any criminal willing to remove its traces on a hacked computer can use it. Fox-IT has looked at the software and found a unique way to detect the use of it and to recover the removed event log entries.

Introduction

A group known as The Shadow Brokers published a collection of software, which allegedly was part of the cyber weapon arsenal of the NSA. Part of the published software was the exploitation framework FuzzBunch and post-exploitation framework DanderSpritz. DanderSpritz is a full-blown command and control server, or listening post in NSA terms. It can be used to stealthy perform various actions on hacked computers, like finding and exfiltrating data or move laterally through the target network. Its GUI is built on Java and contains plugins written in Python. The plugins contain functionality in the framework to perform specific actions on the target machine. One specific plugin in DanderSpritz caught the eye of the Forensics & Incident Response team at Fox-IT: eventlogedit.

Recovering removed records

As eventlogedit leaves the removed record and record header in its original state, their content can be recovered. This allows the full recovery of all the data that was originally in the record, including record number, event id, timestamps, and event message.

Fox-IT’s Forensics & Incident Response department has created a Python script that finds and exports any removed event log records from an event log file. This script also works in the scenario when consecutive event records have been removed, when the first record of the file is removed, or the first record of a chunk is removed. In Figure 4 an example is shown.

dsz_evtx_in_use-e1512736524298.png?w=640

We have decided to open source the script. It can be found on our GitHub and works like this:

Recommendations

To detect if the NSA or someone else has used this to cover up his tracks using the eventlogedit tool on your systems, it is recommended to use the script on event log files from your Windows servers and computers. As the NSA very likely changed their tools after the leaks, it might be farfetched to detect their current operations with this script. But you might find traces of it in older event log files. It is recommended to run the script on archived event log files from back-ups or central log servers.

If you find traces of eventlogedit, and would like assistance in analysis and remediation for a possible breach, feel free to contact us. Our Forensics & Incident Response department during business hours or FoxCERT 24/7.

Wouter Jansen

Fox-IT Forensics & Incident Response

It's certainly good that people are finding ways to expose and sometimes counter the NSA's cyber-crime. But at the same time, I wonder if the NSA and other cyber-criminals might just make tools to deal with these deeper layers of records. Hopefully, increased awareness will result in more grassroots efforts designed to protect people against the NSA and other cyber-criminals.

It might be in the interest of anyone doing IT for a big business to check to see if any Windows Event Log entries have been tampered with.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Good thing I have a mac so it can't be hacked by the NSA.

It's just more evidence that humanity is digging itself a very deep hole in the name of "security".  I need a new term for the point at which the security (or any digital product) measures and counter measures are so convoluted and deep that it begins to become hard to separate, intent from cause and legitimacy.  It's like an event horizon where the poes law of digital forensics comes into its own.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Every day the tinfoil hat becomes more fashionable.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 hour ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Every day the tinfoil hat becomes more fashionable.

I prefer lead foil, blocks more NSA signals.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

4 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

It might be in the interest of anyone doing IT for a big business to check to see if any Windows Event Log entries have been tampered with.

I'd check but it'll detect the event log entries I've also deleted myself lol. We do real time event log collection and hand off to two different analysis tools anyway and tampering with that is much harder.

Smaller/medium sized business wouldn't have this type of thing in place so they should be the most concerned about this.

1 hour ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I prefer lead foil, blocks more NSA signals.

I prefer dramatic foil, it has a more classic intellectual feel.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'd check but it'll detect the event log entries I've also deleted myself lol. We do real time event log collection and hand off to two different analysis tools anyway and tampering with that is much harder.

Smaller/medium sized business wouldn't have this type of thing in place so they should be the most concerned about this.

Can I use Event Viewer to do that? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Can I use Event Viewer to do that? 

You can configure event forwarding or use a free analytics tool like Greylog.

Just now, leadeater said:

Thank you. I thought the built in Event Viewer in Windows can do that. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'd check but it'll detect the event log entries I've also deleted myself lol. 

Oh? Telling us something @leadeater? :P 

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

huh never done that before. May try it someday :P 

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

How to make a change without an RFC.. what change? I see no change... ;)

ah. So sometimes small changes or changes that would really be a pain to explain and just waste time and money can effectively never have happened :P But... How does the deletion work if the collection happened in real time as you noted? You'd have to delete those as well then?

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

6 minutes ago, 8uhbbhu8 said:

ah. So sometimes small changes or changes that would really be a pain to explain and just waste time and money can effectively never have happened :P But... How does the deletion work if the collection happened in real time as you noted? You'd have to delete those as well then?

Kung Fu Ninja never reveals his secrets :ph34r:

Disable the logging services

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Kung Fu Ninja never reveals his secrets :ph34r:

Disable the logging services

ah.. right!! :P Why didn't I think of that?!!! The I.T. in me is utterly ashamed......

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

RAINBOWS!!!

10 hours ago, RorzNZ said:

Good thing I have a mac so it can't be hacked by the NSA.

LOL apple is friends with NSA.

Other then that no one needs to hack a mac. It's already hacked did you see it's bug when it allows root user without password?

LOL macOS is the worst OS ever existed.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Didn't know they use python scripts for these attacks as well. Thought it was always more of a data analysis and scientific language. Proves it's true versatility I guess. 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido