So..... Now What?

25270759_1454364481329203_1890531395_o.thumb.jpg.94de68688c3e15ffc8dfa555a9149ec1.jpg25130003_1454365067995811_400225270_o.thumb.jpg.9604b2e047082dfb046dfec61ce84bfc.jpgIMG_5787.jpg.5a8de8c122dde281e6b8e01d55d80c36.jpg

So I just bought a server/networking closet for $400 and I'm not really sure what to do with it....

The server itself is a ML370 with 24GB ram, dual CPU Xeons with 16 logical cores total. Currently running ESXi 6. Thinking about making it a home media server that I tie in raspberry pis to my tvs or something... Not really sure what to do with it other than that. Any suggestions? Not even sure if I paid too much for all of this stuff.

5 minutes ago, Creekwater X said:

<snip>

So I just bought a server/networking closet for $400 and I'm not really sure what to do with it....

The server itself is a ML370 with 24GB ram, dual CPU Xeons with 16 logical cores total. Currently running ESXi 6. Thinking about making it a home media server that I tie in raspberry pis to my tvs or something... Not really sure what to do with it other than that. Any suggestions? Not even sure if I paid too much for all of this stuff.

rasberry pis is that some kind of beer? 

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

Your answer is VM's

If you use Virtual Machines, you can have that server do whatever the heck you want. It's got enough power to render, but can still be used for other things when its not doing that. 

Home media would be a good start.

Don't put RPI's on your TV's. Chromecasts work with PLEX. So do ROKU's

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

Nice find I'll send you my address. Just make sure you clean up after the installation is done. ;) 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

33 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Your answer is VM's

If you use Virtual Machines, you can have that server do whatever the heck you want. It's got enough power to render, but can still be used for other things when its not doing that. 

Home media would be a good start.

Don't put RPI's on your TV's. Chromecasts work with PLEX. So do ROKU's

Fire TV stick?