Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mahbub

Does violent shocks harm cpu? PLZ HELP

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

In a fit of frustration to close my back panel i held my cabinet from front side and slapped the end if my back planel very violently to fit it 5 or 7 times. My gpu was not in. My i5 8600k with hyper 212 x was there. Its a new proccy 4 days old. I am regretting violently slapping pc case. Did the cause any harm? I am freaking out.. should i? The system is running now no issues. But my ocd is killing me please help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it, of all the problems I've heard with CPUs none were caused by violent shocks. Of course, there is a certain amount of G(e) forces(lol get it) that the CPU can handle, but I doubt you caused it harm. There may be psychological harm caused by physical abuse to the CPU that will affect its decisions in life, but that's not my problem xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

In a fit of frustration to close my back panel i held my cabinet from front side and slapped the end if my back planel very violently to fit it 5 or 7 times. My gpu was not in. My i5 8600k with hyper 212 x was there. Its a new proccy 4 days old. I am regretting violently slapping pc case. Did the cause any harm? I am freaking out.. should i? The system is running now no issues. But my ocd is killing me please help. 

https://www.psyned.nl/


ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you somehow managed to shake it enough to move it in it's socket, no.  Why not just take the side panel off and put it on the right way?


Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

 

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro

 

General Use Mac: Mid 2011 27" Apple iMac

Intel Core i5-2400 (4C/4T), 16GB Various DDR3 1067MHz, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB, 500GB Crucial MX500, 1TB Seagate BarraCuda, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6/Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

If it is running fine now it will continue to do so. If you broke the die with your beatings it wouldn't have worked at all.

Your cable management skills are worrying tough, if you had to slap the panel to have it close :P

Did the beating in any way lessen lifespan?? Or something like that any harm of that sort :-( ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

If it is running fine now it will continue to do so. If you broke the die with your beatings it wouldn't have worked at all.

Your cable management skills are worrying tough, if you had to slap the panel to have it close :P

Did the beating in any way lessen lifespan?? Or something like that any harm of that sort :-( ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The CPU would be fine but you could damage the MOBO where the CPU cooler according to how strong the shake was which is why custom PC vendors use the foam thing on the inside during shipment. 


A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I doubt it, of all the problems I've heard with CPUs none were caused by violent shocks. Of course, there is a certain amount of G(e) forces(lol get it) that the CPU can handle, but I doubt you caused it harm. There may be psychological harm caused by physical abuse to the CPU that will affect its decisions in life, but that's not my problem xD

I dont know. My ocd is just killing me :-(

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I doubt it, of all the problems I've heard with CPUs none were caused by violent shocks.

Well, a big, fat and heavy cooler could definitely cause damage to the mobo and/or the CPU, if one was banging on the case hard.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In that scenario you are more likely to harm your MB because of torque from your air cooler.

Luckily you have a cheap one that doesn't weigh much. xD


i7-6700k

Dark Rock TF

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro

Corsair LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

960 EVO NVMe M.2 500GB, PNY CS2211 960GB, 850 EVO 500GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 4TB

MSI GEFORCE GTX 980 4GB Armor 2X

Antec HCG M 750W

Creative Labs Z to Home Theater

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Black

BENQ GW2765HT. Samsung S22B420BW

--------------------------------------------

i3-6100

CRYORIG - C7 

ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming

ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 

DREVO X1 PRO 128GB SSD, Barracuda 1TB, PNY - CS1211 240GB

MSI Radeon R9 390x 8GB

EVGA 750 BQ 

Thermaltake P3 White

LG - 27MP37HQ-B 27.0", LG L1952TX-SF

--------------------------------------------

G4560

MasterAir G100M RGB

Gigabyte - GA-Z170XP-SLI 

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

Intel - 600p Series 256GB, WD Blue 1TB

Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD, Asus HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2

Antec HCG 620W

Corsair - Air 540

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

Did the beating in any way lessen lifespan?? Or something like that any harm of that sort :-( ?

If it's working, then no. But in the future, do not bang on your case like that, dummy. Heavy coolers can definitely harm your mobo and/or the CPU when you do that.


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Leonard said:

The CPU would be fine but you could damage the MOBO where the CPU cooler according to how strong the shake was which is why custom PC vendors use the foam thing on the inside during shipment. 

Well. Now its up and running. Does that mean i caused absolutely no harm? I mean any other harm like lessened lifespan etc etc? Its running. So can i now be totally worry free?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, a big, fat and heavy cooler could definitely cause damage to the mobo and/or the CPU, if one was banging on the case hard.

Its up n running. So i guess its totally fine??

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

Its up n running. So i guess its totally fine??

Don't  stress about it too much man.

It is very unlikely that you damaged it, and even if you did you cannot go back in time to fix it.

Just enjoy your new build. :)


CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (3.6GHz; 1.25v) Cooler:  EVGA CLC 240mm Mobo: Asus Strix B350-i GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz 14CL 2x8GB SSD0: ADATA SU800 128GB SSD1: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD2: Samsung QVO 1TB PSUCorsair SF450 Case: NZXT H200i MonitorViewSonic XG2401 144Hz 24"

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Eibe said:

Don't  stress about it too much man.

It is very unlikely that you damaged it, and even if you did you cannot go back in time to fix it.

Just enjoy your new build. :)

The visible damage would be it not working. Any invisible damage??

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mahbub said:

Well. Now its up and running. Does that mean i caused absolutely no harm? I mean any other harm like lessened lifespan etc etc? Its running. So can i now be totally worry free?

Without inspecting the hardware i would say it is fine because it ran but know that hardware can be a fickle as software, everything could be running fine now and say sometime in the future you decided to change the TIM on the CPU and you take off the cooler and then, if there is damage, it show itself as the tension that was caused by the cooler in place is now not there but i really feel you are fine.


A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Leonard said:

Without inspecting the hardware i would say it is fine because it ran but know that hardware can be a fickle as software, everything could be running fine now and say sometime in the future you decided to change the TIM on the CPU and you take off the cooler and then, if there is damage, it show itself as the tension that was caused by the cooler in place is now not there but i really feel you are fine.

Today i will open it totally. If after reassembly if is running then i guess i can be tension free right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×