Does violent shocks harm cpu? PLZ HELP

Mahbub

In a fit of frustration to close my back panel i held my cabinet from front side and slapped the end if my back planel very violently to fit it 5 or 7 times. My gpu was not in. My i5 8600k with hyper 212 x was there. Its a new proccy 4 days old. I am regretting violently slapping pc case. Did the cause any harm? I am freaking out.. should i? The system is running now no issues. But my ocd is killing me please help. 

I doubt it, of all the problems I've heard with CPUs none were caused by violent shocks. Of course, there is a certain amount of G(e) forces(lol get it) that the CPU can handle, but I doubt you caused it harm. There may be psychological harm caused by physical abuse to the CPU that will affect its decisions in life, but that's not my problem xD

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

In a fit of frustration to close my back panel i held my cabinet from front side and slapped the end if my back planel very violently to fit it 5 or 7 times. My gpu was not in. My i5 8600k with hyper 212 x was there. Its a new proccy 4 days old. I am regretting violently slapping pc case. Did the cause any harm? I am freaking out.. should i? The system is running now no issues. But my ocd is killing me please help. 

https://www.psyned.nl/

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

Unless you somehow managed to shake it enough to move it in it's socket, no.  Why not just take the side panel off and put it on the right way?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

If it is running fine now it will continue to do so. If you broke the die with your beatings it wouldn't have worked at all.

Your cable management skills are worrying tough, if you had to slap the panel to have it close :P

9 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

If it is running fine now it will continue to do so. If you broke the die with your beatings it wouldn't have worked at all.

Your cable management skills are worrying tough, if you had to slap the panel to have it close :P

Did the beating in any way lessen lifespan?? Or something like that any harm of that sort :-( ?

10 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

Did the beating in any way lessen lifespan?? Or something like that any harm of that sort :-( ?

The CPU would be fine but you could damage the MOBO where the CPU cooler according to how strong the shake was which is why custom PC vendors use the foam thing on the inside during shipment. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I doubt it, of all the problems I've heard with CPUs none were caused by violent shocks. Of course, there is a certain amount of G(e) forces(lol get it) that the CPU can handle, but I doubt you caused it harm. There may be psychological harm caused by physical abuse to the CPU that will affect its decisions in life, but that's not my problem xD

I dont know. My ocd is just killing me :-(

11 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I doubt it, of all the problems I've heard with CPUs none were caused by violent shocks.

Well, a big, fat and heavy cooler could definitely cause damage to the mobo and/or the CPU, if one was banging on the case hard.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

In that scenario you are more likely to harm your MB because of torque from your air cooler.

Luckily you have a cheap one that doesn't weigh much. xD

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

If it's working, then no. But in the future, do not bang on your case like that, dummy. Heavy coolers can definitely harm your mobo and/or the CPU when you do that.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, Leonard said:

The CPU would be fine but you could damage the MOBO where the CPU cooler according to how strong the shake was which is why custom PC vendors use the foam thing on the inside during shipment. 

Well. Now its up and running. Does that mean i caused absolutely no harm? I mean any other harm like lessened lifespan etc etc? Its running. So can i now be totally worry free?

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Well, a big, fat and heavy cooler could definitely cause damage to the mobo and/or the CPU, if one was banging on the case hard.

Its up n running. So i guess its totally fine??

4 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

Its up n running. So i guess its totally fine??

Don't  stress about it too much man.

It is very unlikely that you damaged it, and even if you did you cannot go back in time to fix it.

Just enjoy your new build. :)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

1 minute ago, Eibe said:

Don't  stress about it too much man.

It is very unlikely that you damaged it, and even if you did you cannot go back in time to fix it.

Just enjoy your new build. :)

The visible damage would be it not working. Any invisible damage??

2 hours ago, Mahbub said:

Well. Now its up and running. Does that mean i caused absolutely no harm? I mean any other harm like lessened lifespan etc etc? Its running. So can i now be totally worry free?

Without inspecting the hardware i would say it is fine because it ran but know that hardware can be a fickle as software, everything could be running fine now and say sometime in the future you decided to change the TIM on the CPU and you take off the cooler and then, if there is damage, it show itself as the tension that was caused by the cooler in place is now not there but i really feel you are fine.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

5 hours ago, Leonard said:

Without inspecting the hardware i would say it is fine because it ran but know that hardware can be a fickle as software, everything could be running fine now and say sometime in the future you decided to change the TIM on the CPU and you take off the cooler and then, if there is damage, it show itself as the tension that was caused by the cooler in place is now not there but i really feel you are fine.

Today i will open it totally. If after reassembly if is running then i guess i can be tension free right?

I have thrown a 775 CPU across a room and it still worked, so I doubt that little slap on the case would have goofed it up.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)