Network Adapter, Built in or External

AMDGrill

So, imagine this scenario, you're in college, you brought your laptop with you to game, except, there's one problem, you're limited to the internet connection that your university is providing you.

On such network, speeds are limited to 5mbps per persona. If this was the case, would you use your laptop's built in Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 to connect to the said network or an external USB adapter, an AirtTies 2310, that can support higher dB output?

The building is fairly old and even tho the Wireless-AC 8265 is faster in theory(>800mbps) whilst the 2310 can only support up to 150mbps, I think the higher dB output on the external adapter will yield better connection quality?
Network is a derivate of eduroam, I believe it is international. The protocols are EAP/PAP - TTLS. 

Which one would you use, the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 or the AirTies 2310?

34 minutes ago, AMDGrill said:

So, imagine this scenario, you're in college, you brought your laptop with you to game, except, there's one problem, you're limited to the internet connection that your university is providing you.

On such network, speeds are limited to 5mbps per persona. If this was the case, would you use your laptop's built in Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 to connect to the said network or an external USB adapter, an AirtTies 2310, that can support higher dB output?

The building is fairly old and even tho the Wireless-AC 8265 is faster in theory(>800mbps) whilst the 2310 can only support up to 150mbps, I think the higher dB output on the external adapter will yield better connection quality?
Network is a derivate of eduroam, I believe it is international. The protocols are EAP/PAP - TTLS. 

Which one would you use, the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 or the AirTies 2310?

5mbps should be fine for gaming

just sucks for downloading games

my bandwidth logs show roughly 150mbytes per hour

150*8=1200mbits/3600(#secs in hour) .3mbps avg

6 hours ago, RandomGuy13 said:

If they limit you to 5mbps they are using software QoS that caps your speed. This QoS is separate from the WiFi connection, they will do the same for ethernet QoS it's the same system. So any WiFi controller will perform the same regardless of their dB output or anything else, assuming they can achieve the 5mb/s capped rate.

One thing you could possibly do is to is connect two WiFi cards to the same SSID and use some funky software to team the connections together, but I don't know of any software that could do that. This is assuming that the QoS speed cap is applied per device rather than per user. 

eduroam uses 802.1x so it can use AAA to do bandwith control per user, not per device so this won't work. Some places I've been with eduroam even cap the amount of data you can down/upload per week. On my university for example there was a cap on the upload, most students found out in the first week when using an torrent client and having the upload unlimited. After a few hours they would get an email saying their internet was now throtteled :P.

6 hours ago, AMDGrill said:

Don't think the USB adapter will make much of a difference, but best thing is to test it. Maybe in some places where the connection isn't that good that it could make a difference. Personally I would just wire up my laptop while in my room for gaming. This will normally at least reduce your ping a bit.

Sadly the reouters they use do not support Ethernet connections, crazy, right?