Ryzen on 12nm might get a 50% core increase

cj09beira
Go to solution Solved by Nowak,

Fake news, this was posted on r/AyyMD (an AMD circlejerk sub) a month ago and the media just now fell for it.

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yeah right....5.1 boost is going to require serious power. 5GHz on any unlocked chip is never that easy. Requires some proper tuning to get it right.

Yeah.. my 1600 which is rated for 65W, OC'd to 3.8 on all cores at 1.27/1.28 pulls about 95W(according to HWMonitor anyway, so not totally accurate)

A 12 core like that 2800x, running at 5.1Ghz.. i wouldn't like to see the power draw on that lmao. Though it'd only be on one core presumably.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Just now, RKRiley said:

Yeah.. my 1600 which is rated for 65W, OC'd to 3.8 on all cores at 1.27/1.28 pulls about 95W(according to HWMonitor anyway, so not totally accurate)

A 12 core running at 5Ghz.. i wouldn't like to see the power draw on that lmao.

those are only single core boosts, so it will probably end up getting to around 4.5 ghz all core clocks (overclocked)

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

those are only single core boosts, so it will probably end up getting to around 4.5 ghz all core clocks (overclocked)

That'd still be one hell of a power draw though at 4.5.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Every chip I can think of can be "overclocked" to hit the 1-core speed on all cores at once

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

35 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

The top of the line Ryzen 7 1800X has the same core count as the FX-8150 they released in 2011.

Well, yes and no.  The FX-8150 did have 8 physical cores, but shared the FPU (along with some other components) between each pair of cores.  It's better than SMT/HT, but not as effective as 8 fully independent cores.  And the 8 core Ryzen has SMT on top of the 8 physical cores.

9 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Well, yes and no.  The FX-8150 did have 8 physical cores, but shared the FPU (along with some other components) between each pair of cores.  It's better than SMT/HT, but not as effective as 8 fully independent cores.  And the 8 core Ryzen has SMT on top of the 8 physical cores.

Yeah the 8 new cores are better, but they're still 8 cores. The point is, AMD focused on making the cores a heck of a lot better, rather than adding more cores.

From what I've seen, these rumors are for zen 2, not zen+.

Zen 2 will be on 7nm. GF claims the node offers roughly 40% extra performance over their existing tech. 

Assuming ryzen 2 flagship products are clocked near the max like ryzen, the clock speed boost account for roughly 25% extra process performance. That's totally doable as long as AMD doesn't spend too many extra transistors on their zen 2 arch. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

57 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

no? 5GHz is easy as hell from my experience and from what i have seen people saying about 6th and 7th gen. put the multiplier at 50x and the voltage somewhere around 1.4V and done. power draw goes up but it dosent get insane. 12 cores at 5GHz probably would draw quite a lot, an 1800x is like 150W so 250W TDP or so?

Multiplier and CPU volts? Man overclocking and hitting 5.0 is way too n00b friendly these days.

Gotta configure CPU input volts and motherboard VRM too. A cooler that can handle the heat would be a great idea too.

Also we're running vastly different processors. 5820K vs 4790K. Of course it's easy for you.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

an 1800x is like 150W so 250W TDP or so?

Where did you get 150W from?

It's running at 112W in Prime95. It's 95W when doing Blender (if I didn't know any better I'd say AMD has derived their TDP from Blender) and 56W when playing Metro Last Light.

The only workload I've seen make it surpass the 110W~ mark is Luxrender which apparently hammers it significantly more than anything else which comes out at 141W. Unless you include total system power in that figure of course.

That news is BS , just like fake photos made by kids with 10ghz cpu's

the only thing i realistically expect from AMD's ryzen 2 is 5-10% IPC gains in most loads at clock for clock vs ryzen 1, 4-500mhz extra for all models at same TDP on 12nm, and if possible higher ddr4 support out of the box and better RAM compatibilty/stability,  if amd cant do this then their new models are useless just like intels refresh refresh refresh..... 

12 cores for desktop would be pointless without IPC and mhz gains, good for productivity useless for anything else.

19 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Multiplier and CPU volts? Man overclocking and hitting 5.0 is way too n00b friendly these days.

Gotta configure CPU input volts and motherboard VRM too. A cooler that can handle the heat would be a great idea too.

Also we're running vastly different processors. 5820K vs 4790K. Of course it's easy for you.

#gatekeeping

More than 8 cores would be pointless at the same price range, those who need all these cores buy expensive i9s and threadrippers.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Where did you get 150W from?

It's running at 112W in Prime95. It's 95W when doing Blender (if I didn't know any better I'd say AMD has derived their TDP from Blender) and 56W when playing Metro Last Light.

The only workload I've seen make it surpass the 110W~ mark is Luxrender which apparently hammers it significantly more than anything else which comes out at 141W. Unless you include total system power in that figure of course.

idk i just looked arond quickly at some numbers, thats closer to 200W then

18 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

well its a late batch chip but yes, almost all I7s 6th gen and up will do 5GHz im pretty sure

19 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

no need to on the Intel side at least but i havent ever overclocked an AMD chip so maybe, and cooler wise you should have a decent cooler if you want to overclock anyway

20 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

sure, you have a two more cores to deal with but its not especially hard on X99 either im pretty sure(to reach 5GHz will be, because of the core amount) and Coffe lake is the same AFAIK, just put it at 50 mulitiplier and add a bit of voltage

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The Slide is a fake. Though well done. More credible information puts the announcement in February.

There isn't going to be more cores in the 2000 series, as AMD's design chief has said it's a port of the design + some tweaks. 

However, the clocks may be nearly correct.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Every chip I can think of can be "overclocked" to hit the 1-core speed on all cores at once

threadripper has 4.2ghz xfr, and its very rare to find one that can boost all cores to that frequency

1 hour ago, Matu20 said:

Sounds too good to be true = most likely clickbait.

its not clickbait, but it might be untrue 

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

From what I've seen, these rumors are for zen 2, not zen+.

Zen 2 will be on 7nm. GF claims the node offers roughly 40% extra performance over their existing tech. 

Assuming ryzen 2 flagship products are clocked near the max like ryzen, the clock speed boost account for roughly 25% extra process performance. That's totally doable as long as AMD doesn't spend too many extra transistors on their zen 2 arch. 

this is about a slide that is not talking about zen 2 (7nm), it says launch in february 2018, that isnt the launch window of zen 2 :P 

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The Slide is a fake. Though well done. More credible information puts the announcement in February.

There isn't going to be more cores in the 2000 series, as AMD's design chief has said it's a port of the design + some tweaks. 

However, the clocks may be nearly correct.

although the slide pointed to february 1st he said february 28th, which is weird,

as long as i can get a 4.4-4.5 ghz overclock i am happy :)

Hopefully AMD can fix the IMC so that I won't have to play around with memory timings, no offense to @MageTank or @done12many2.

Also, if they pull off 5.2GHz on eight cores, I'll floor my i5 to the lowest multiplier (10, I think) and play through Battlefield 1's campaign at a leisurely 2Hz. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

17 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

threadripper has 4.2ghz xfr, and its very rare to find one that can boost all cores to that frequency

its not clickbait, but it might be untrue 

this is about a slide that is not talking about zen 2 (7nm), it says launch in february 2018, that isnt the launch window of zen 2 :P 

although the slide pointed to february 1st he said february 28th, which is weird,

as long as i can get a 4.4-4.5 ghz overclock i am happy :)

The first Zen design was done on the "high density" libraries. Rumor is that the 12nm, since it is "client" only, is on higher performance libraries. They won't gain as much from the area shrink (it's the same process, but tighter transistors), but Zen is already so relatively tiny that doesn't matter as much. They should end up with a similarly sized die that clocks well into the 4 Ghz range at the same power usage.

However, they've been incredibly tight-lipped about performance, which probably means it's going to be a solid jump. They want Ryzen to sell well through Christmas. Watch a bunch of performance leaks come out the first week of January.

The one caveat is DX11 performance and high-end Nvidia cards. Zen is going to saturate the 1080 Ti somewhere around 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz. Even if they hit 5 Ghz somehow, don't expect much of any uplift, minus a slightly higher minimum. DX11 is optimized for the Intel "Core" uArch and there is little AMD can do about that.

15 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The one caveat is DX11 performance and high-end Nvidia cards. Zen is going to saturate the 1080 Ti somewhere around 4.4 to 4.5 Ghz. Even if they hit 5 Ghz somehow, don't expect much of any uplift, minus a slightly higher minimum. DX11 is optimized for the Intel "Core" uArch and there is little AMD can do about that.

You probably mean nvidia drivers are optimized for Sandy Bridge derivatives of Intel processors

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

I'm thinking 50% more cores for the APUs and ThreadRipper 2, but not mainstream. It just doesn't make a great deal of sense with every foundry slowing down on the road to "7nm" (i.e. 10nm).

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

ryzen 2800x  with 12 cores 4.6ghz base clock and 5.1 boost with a price of 449

:o !

i7 8700 buyers remorse this soon? xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

:o !

i7 8700 buyers remorse this soon? xD

will see, fingers crossed 

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well its a late batch chip but yes, almost all I7s 6th gen and up will do 5GHz im pretty sure

With some tuning yes. Especially for stability. Anybody can do a quick and dirty OC with multi and core volts. Late batch does help to some degree.

no need to on the Intel side at least but i havent ever overclocked an AMD chip so maybe, and cooler wise you should have a decent cooler if you want to overclock anyway

CPU Input volts is a must for stability. Especially when the clock is high. If you're running standard CPU Input volts then you'll have to increase VCore to get stability. Most of the time stability issues can be fixed by more or less leaving CPU VCore as it is and start to push the CPU Input volt slightly.

But sure, "no need" as you say.

sure, you have a two more cores to deal with but its not especially hard on X99 either im pretty sure(to reach 5GHz will be, because of the core amount) and Coffe lake is the same AFAIK, just put it at 50 mulitiplier and add a bit of voltage

Having a "low core amount" won't help much. It's pretty much recommended to stay below 1.35V with X99 since the amount of heat it pushes overclocked is the big issue.

And of course you'll not get 5.0 with 1.35V not on the average Joe chip anyway (We all know who the exception to the rule is) Generally chips where needing 1.45V+ for 5.0 to run something without crashing/hanging/freezing. And at that voltage to temps aren't something to laugh about such as hitting the 90s on high end water.

-----

Back to Ryzen: Maybe AMD finally want a 5GHz processor that actually performs. Can't really blame them. But then again, clocking cores faster doesn't necessarily mean that IPC is up (by much). The higher core count parts ship with a higher clock? That's not how it works (usually). The more cores you have to do work, the slower that you can run them. Lets you scale back the TDP and save a bit while being able to reap the added performance.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yeah right....5.1 boost is going to require serious power. 5GHz on any unlocked chip is never that easy. Requires some proper tuning to get it right.

on the 8700k a 5ghz oc is pretty easy

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3