Ryzen on 12nm might get a 50% core increase

cj09beira
Go to solution Solved by Nowak,

Fake news, this was posted on r/AyyMD (an AMD circlejerk sub) a month ago and the media just now fell for it.

So a few days ago, kitguru in one of there videos had a slide up for a few seconds, showing ryzen+'s skus, they claim that the slides are real, but take it with huge grain of salt.

(i didn't include a quote from what he says as he only glances at it, which might say something to his confidence on the slide)

here is the video (at the correct time stamp):

UPDATE: Now with a slide that is better for our eyes 

Wa06sIp.jpg

as we can see we have:  (assume boosts are single core)

ryzen 2700   with 12 cores 4ghz    base clock and 4.5 boost with a price of 329 (it actually said 12 cores :P )

ryzen 2800   with 12 cores 4.4ghz base clock and 4.9 boost with a price of 399

ryzen 2800x  with 12 cores 4.6ghz base clock and 5.1 boost with a price of 449

it also talks about a launch on February 1st

now about the authenticity of the slide,

first the clocks:

•        global foundries's 14nm is around 5-10% slower than tsmc's 16nm, and global foundries does claim a 10% increase over competing 16/12nm products, which should put goflo's 12nm at 15-20% better clocks than what we have now with 14nm.
  • a 20% clock increase would put today's xfr at 4.9Ghz (4.1*1.2)

50% more cores:

•        ever since we heard of 14nm+ and ryzen+, the increase in only clocks seemed a bit off for a company that did say no more incremental upgrades, so it seems within reason to have 12 cores on am4, i just thought it would come with ryzen on 7nm.
  • Amd has already confirmed that the next gen of Epyc would support 48 cores, we though they were talking about 7nm, maybe not

my personal opinion:

My expectations of ryzen+ were simply a 10% clock increase with maybe 1-5% ipc gain just from small optimizations and fixes, with the same amounts of cores, so around 4.5ghz max clocks, which was enough to postpone my purchase to february.

deep down it always seemed odd that the perf increase was going to be small, especially with ryzen on 7nm being in 2019.

also people were asking why amd was going to spend the money porting all their designs to the new node, only to get around 10% higher clocks, if its more closer to 20% it makes far more sense.

the 4.9-5.1 boosts still seem far fetched, i guess we will have to wait and see. 

This does sound too good to be true, although it seems logical from what little information we have.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Jade said:

I'd be cool with more ipc gain rather than more cores. I didn't like the Bulldozer strat. Fewer fast cores > many mediocre cores.

well the increased clocks will reduce that problem alot, i dont expect significant ipc gains until ryzen on 7nm

50% core number means nothing to me +50% core clock then I'm interested

Frankly unless you are constantly encoding video or something along those lines I don't see the point currently

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4.5 was my dream scenario, i just don't see 5.1 SHIPPED to be true.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

50% core number means nothing to me +50% core clock then I'm interested

Frankly unless you are constantly encoding video or something along those lines I don't see the point currently

people should read the whole article first :|

11 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

ryzen 2700   with 10 cores 4ghz    base clock and 4.5 boost with a price of 329

ryzen 2800   with 12 cores 4.4ghz base clock and 4.9 boost with a price of 399

ryzen 2800x  with 12 cores 4.6ghz base clock and 5.1 boost with a price of 449

Yeah right....5.1 boost is going to require serious power. 5GHz on any unlocked chip is never that easy. Requires some proper tuning to get it right.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

people should read the whole article first :|

The only part I believe is the core count increase, because that has been their strategy from the get go

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

The only part I believe is the core count increase, because that has been their strategy from the get go

i think it was more like the current node cant do more than 4ghz, than lets only have more cores,

a core clock increase this good also points to a very close collaboration between the two companies (same with tsmc's 12nm)

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

i think it was more like the current node cant do more than 4ghz, than lets only have more cores,

a core clock increase this good also points to a very close collaboration between the two companies (same with tsmc's 12nm)

It's not the node its more so the design itself, changing the node may help but the design is limiting in terms of clock frequency and memory frequency from what I've seen, however if they target servers more heavily its a non-issue from a business perspective however it doesn't interest me as a consumer.

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

It's not the node its more so the design itself, changing the node may help but the design is limiting in terms of clock frequency and memory frequency from what I've seen, however if they target servers more heavily its a non-issue from a business perspective however it doesn't interest me as a consumer.

all points to being a node problem, not a design problem, as even the gpus didn't clock much higher than the 28nm counterparts, and in the nodes documents available they talk of only 3ghz+

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

all points to being a node problem, not a design problem, as even the gpus didn't clock much higher than the 28nm counterparts, and in the nodes documents available they talk of only 3ghz+

They weren't using 28nm though so they should be able to increase it beyond what they currently have it clocked to......actually maybe not I keep forgetting to factor in that an AMD chip at 16nm isn't actually a 16nm design if using the same standards of ibm or intel

I guess we'll see soon enough (though I still have my doubts)

we dont NEED this amount of cores, like REALLY, but damn i cant say that i think a $400 12 core at potentially 5GHz is a bad chip

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Jade said:

I'd be cool with more ipc gain rather than more cores. I didn't like the Bulldozer strat. Fewer fast cores > many mediocre cores.

IPC is fine with Ryzen, it's just the clock speed that needs improving.

I call bullshit. Sounds like someone making shit up for advertising revenue.

I'll gladly be proved wrong in 3 months time but there is pretty much no chance of this being real.

58 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

AMD's strategy with Ryzen is not focusing on more cores. The top of the line Ryzen 7 1800X has the same core count as the FX-8150 they released in 2011.

A 50% jump in core count, plus a 27.5% boost to clockspeed (4 -> 5.1 GHz) and a 5% IPC bump works out to pretty much exactly 2x in multi-threaded performance.  If they can achieve that and while dropping price by 10% at the same time, that would be amazing.  My main concern would remain thermals though; you can't just throw 50% more cores on a package and boost clocks from 4 to 5 GHz without either cooking it, or making some serious improvements to efficiency, and to think they could pull off the other improvements and a vast efficiency improvement too at the same time would be impressive to the point of unbelievable.

Looks great, and I hope they manage this, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Sakkura said:

AMD's strategy with Ryzen is not focusing on more cores. The top of the line Ryzen 7 1800X has the same core count as the FX-8150 they released in 2011.

I meant in general not specifically for ryzen, the only time I can think of where they lagged intel in core count on the consumer side was when intel released there first consumer dual core, either way I'm not a fan of rumors and am often very dismissive towards them unless an official statement addresses them.

33 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

Yeah right....5.1 boost is going to require serious power. 5GHz on any unlocked chip is never that easy. Requires some proper tuning to get it right.

no? 5GHz is easy as hell from my experience and from what i have seen people saying about 6th and 7th gen. put the multiplier at 50x and the voltage somewhere around 1.4V and done. power draw goes up but it dosent get insane. 12 cores at 5GHz probably would draw quite a lot, an 1800x is like 150W so 250W TDP or so?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

you can't just throw 50% more cores on a package and boost clocks from 4 to 5 GHz without either cooking it, or making some serious improvements to efficiency, and to think they could pull off the other improvements and a vast efficiency improvement too at the same time would be impressive to the point of unbelievable.

It's entirely possible that 4c/8t, 6c/12t, and 8c/16t SKUs remain.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My main concern would remain thermals though; you can't just throw 50% more cores on a package and boost clocks from 4 to 5 GHz without either cooking it, or making some serious improvements to efficiency, and to think they could pull off the other improvements and a vast efficiency improvement too at the same time would be impressive to the point of unbelievable.

Looks great, and I hope they manage this, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Adding cores does not make cooling that much harder, because added die area aids heat dissipation. Upping the clocks tends to be a bigger killer. Still, a good clock bump alongside a big jump in core count simultaneously is definitely going to be very, very difficult to pull off.

I'd personally be ecstatic if they achieve even half that increase in core count while actually getting to around 5 GHz.

Just now, AresKrieger said:

I meant in general not specifically for ryzen, the only time I can think of where they lagged intel in core count on the consumer side was when intel released there first consumer dual core, either way I'm not a fan of rumors and am often very dismissive towards them unless an official statement addresses them.

Heh, it's been a while since they added cores though. Just Intel decided quad cores were going to be the mainstream thing forever.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Heh, it's been a while since they added cores though. Just Intel decided quad cores were going to be the mainstream thing forever.

Tbf without the rise of streaming it is likely more cores would still be fairly irrelevant to consumers, but I agree it was intel that lagged in that area rather than amd leaping

6 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

Adding cores does not make cooling that much harder, because added die area aids heat dissipation. [...]

Sure there's more area to pull heat from but there's still more heat :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.