HDMI 120Hz right ?

ViBEE
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,
3 hours ago, ViBEE said:

So I just connected my HDMI Cable to my monitor instead of DP, and I know that HDMI can do only 120Hz, but when I go in game(Overwatch) I have the option to choose up to 144hz ? Is that broken or Im stupid ?

3 hours ago, General Winter said:

it will render 144hz but it won't display 144hz since the hdmi can't support that refresh rate

HDMI supports 144 Hz just fine.

3 hours ago, jools said:

hdmi 2.0 may do 120hz........ BUT

fyi

That video is completely wrong.

See here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=hdmi_60hz_limit

So I just connected my HDMI Cable to my monitor instead of DP, and I know that HDMI can do only 120Hz, but when I go in game(Overwatch) I have the option to choose up to 144hz ? Is that broken or Im stupid ?

8 minutes ago, General Winter said:

it will render 144hz but it won't display 144hz since the hdmi can't support that refresh rate

I mean I can see its running at 144hz because there are those lines that are usually on some 144hz panel and when I switch to 120Hz I dont see them. But ok!

23 minutes ago, jools said:

fyi

My monitor has HDMI 1.4 but I cant really tell the difference in games between HDMI 120/144 and DP 120/144. He also mentioned that Im stuck at 60Hz in 2d mode which I think its windows(maybe not) but I can also tell the difference when changing from 60hz to 120hz from the Nvidia control panel o.O Im pretty confused tbh.

Im using HDMI atm because for some reason my monitor sometimes loses signal or gets pixelated when alt tabbing a bunch of times when in game :(

3 hours ago, ViBEE said:

3 hours ago, General Winter said:

3 hours ago, jools said:

fyi

See here: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/?section=hdmi_60hz_limit

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

oh, thats why i wasn't seeing 120 hz on my DVI (my resolution is 1440p)

also would you know any good OC of monitors, i tried and it only stays at 120hz and then it randomly goes back to 60hz, idk how to keep it at 120hz

45 minutes ago, jools said:

completely wrong and no explanation why........thanks for nothing

He posted link with the explanation ?

On 12/9/2017 at 11:01 AM, General Winter said:

HDMI can do 144hz at 1440p on HDMI 2.0. Anything below HDMI 2.0 144hz can only be obtained at 1080p.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

for some reason that link doesn't work for me, I enter hdmi in both drop downs and clik any link and it reverts back to original page . I tried to look harder ,as suggested, and just ended up with a stony facial expression. Nice, just glad its all my fault, spread the ignorance boys.

6 hours ago, jools said:

for some reason that link doesn't work for me, I enter hdmi in both drop downs and clik any link and it reverts back to original page . I tried to look harder ,as suggested, and just ended up with a stony facial expression. Nice, just glad its all my fault, spread the ignorance boys.

Wait for the page to finish loading