WiFi dongle not picking up on 5Ghz internet anymore

Vampurrr

I recently ported over to a new ISP, and everything is up and running. I can use the 5GHz connection on my phone and it works perfectly.
Previously I had used the 5Ghz connection from my previous ISP on my PC and had no problem - however, my new ISPs one does not show up on my PC, only the 2.4Ghz.
It showed up once before, but now I haven't seen the connection again.

I can see other 5GHz connections around me and connect with them as well, just not mine.

This is my WiFi adapter.

I've tried resetting my WiFi adapter through cmd, updating the firmware/drivers, and nothing has worked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Can I just clarify that by "new isp" you mean they sent you a new router as well?

If this is the case, have you considered using your old router with the new ISP (for dsl or if you have a separate modem, this should be no problem).

Right now I'm thinking that if you have a new wifi router for your new isp, the performance may simply be terrible. 5GHz band has lower range than 2.4GHz band, in exchange for higher potential performance. The way to confirm this would be to move the router closer to your machine to see if the network shows up again.

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Can I just clarify that by "new isp" you mean they sent you a new router as well?

If this is the case, have you considered using your old router with the new ISP (for dsl or if you have a separate modem, this should be no problem).

Right now I'm thinking that if you have a new wifi router for your new isp, the performance may simply be terrible. 5GHz band has lower range than 2.4GHz band, in exchange for higher potential performance. The way to confirm this would be to move the router closer to your machine to see if the network shows up again.

Yes, they did.
The odd thing is that our phones and Chromecast connect to it just fine. The signal strength and speed is great, it's just my PC that doesn't pick up on it.
We even turned off a few devices using the 5G and went to standard, but our PC adapter still isn't picking up on it.

Unfortunately, in our house, it's basically impossible to move our PCs or modem any closer. We only have one port, and our PCs weigh heaps, with nowhere to really put them other than in our computer room.

I just don't understand why the 5G works even when I'm outside on my phone, but not on my PC inside.

2 minutes ago, Qutiechu said:

Yes, they did.
The odd thing is that our phones and Chromecast connect to it just fine. The signal strength and speed is great, it's just my PC that doesn't pick up on it.
We even turned off a few devices using the 5G and went to standard, but our PC adapter still isn't picking up on it.

Unfortunately, in our house, it's basically impossible to move our PCs or modem any closer. We only have one port, and our PCs weigh heaps, with nowhere to really put them other than in our computer room.

I just don't understand why the 5G works even when I'm outside on my phone, but not on my PC inside.

Does your phone still get good 5GHz signal if you place it near where the antennae is for your pc? Does the strength go down?

Modern wifi radios built into phones and tablets are substantially better than any you can buy for a modern pc, because the antennae it's paired with is designed to work within the casing to shield it from any other interference. The EMI from your pc itself could be enough to throw your Edimax antennae out enough to make it fail to pick up a 5GHz signal, if it's already weaker than previous.

Try changing the 5GHz channel settings on your router to a lower value (lower frequencies penetrate walls etc better), and see if you have better luck picking it up.

1 minute ago, Tabs said:

Does your phone still get good 5GHz signal if you place it near where the antennae is for your pc? Does the strength go down?

Modern wifi radios built into phones and tablets are substantially better than any you can buy for a modern pc, because the antennae it's paired with is designed to work within the casing to shield it from any other interference. The EMI from your pc itself could be enough to throw your Edimax antennae out enough to make it fail to pick up a 5GHz signal, if it's already weaker than previous.

Try changing the 5GHz channel settings on your router to a lower value (lower frequencies penetrate walls etc better), and see if you have better luck picking it up.

Yup, I get perfect signal right near my PC. It doesn't go down at all.

From what I can see with other devices, the signal actually seems stronger than my previous modem, with us being able to go into our backyard, and up our driveway before the signal drops substantially.

I'll give that a go, thanks :)

9 minutes ago, Qutiechu said:

Yup, I get perfect signal right near my PC. It doesn't go down at all.

From what I can see with other devices, the signal actually seems stronger than my previous modem, with us being able to go into our backyard, and up our driveway before the signal drops substantially.

I'll give that a go, thanks :)

In that case, I'd say it's an issue with the 5GHz settings on the router - or more accurately, that the router supports a configuration that your desktop adapter doesn't. It's rare, but does happen, especially if your desktop radio is a "draft" adapter.

Try different channel and performance settings and see what ones work. If the router defaults to a high performance mode, you may wish to change it into compatibility or standard mode.

Unfortunately, I don't know what router you have so you'll have to just experiment with it.

On 12/10/2017 at 2:44 AM, Tabs said:

In that case, I'd say it's an issue with the 5GHz settings on the router - or more accurately, that the router supports a configuration that your desktop adapter doesn't. It's rare, but does happen, especially if your desktop radio is a "draft" adapter.

Try different channel and performance settings and see what ones work. If the router defaults to a high performance mode, you may wish to change it into compatibility or standard mode.

Unfortunately, I don't know what router you have so you'll have to just experiment with it.

So this is weird.
We swapped back to our old modem, and it's still not picking up on our 5G connection.
Mobile phone, Switch and Chromecast still do.
Both our dongles are doing it too, and it started at the same time. I'm honestly lost.

4 hours ago, Qutiechu said:

So this is weird.
We swapped back to our old modem, and it's still not picking up on our 5G connection.
Mobile phone, Switch and Chromecast still do.
Both our dongles are doing it too, and it started at the same time. I'm honestly lost.

I would suggest testing the adapter in another pc if you can, since that will help rule out a software issue. If it doesn't work properly in another pc either, your adapter may have failed, and it's just coincidental that it occurred when you swapped to a new ISP.