Apple has acquired Shazam

DrMacintosh

Sources tell us that the company is close to acquiring Shazam, the popular app that lets people identify any song, TV show, film or advert in seconds, by listening to an audio clip

One source describes the deal as in the nine figures; another puts it at around £300 million ($401 million). 

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/08/sources-apple-is-acquiring-music-recognition-app-shazam/ 

Apple is apparently in the process of acquiring Shazam. This is not all that surprising seeing as Siri has had Shazam integration for a while now. It is unknown if Apple has any plans to make this an iOS and macOS exclusive service or not after the acquisition but we will find out soon enough if this deal goes though. 

Shazams' database and IP have potential to do some good in macOS and iOS and I can't wait to see what Apple will do with this acquisition. 

Update: Apple has acquired Shazam. That is all. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I wonder, does Shazam have enough IP to prevent more contenders? I know Cortana has its own version, but Google Now and Bixby don't so maybe this could become an exclusive for the two.

Edit: It seems Google Now supports it, but it depends on how you word the question ;)

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Google Now

Google assistant can recognize songs can't it

My life

And nothing of value was lost.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Himommies said:

It should, Google does have an android widget that does an exponentially better job than Shazam.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Himommies said:

The Google watchamacallit on my phone can though it's definitely not as good as Shazam.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, Drak3 said:

And nothing of value was lost.

Shazam is actually pretty useful. I would not have a lot of songs in my iTunes library. Its not like the radio tells you the name of every song you hear before, during, and after you hear it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, Drak3 said:

android widget that does an exponentially better job than Shazam.

I seriously doubt that. 

Even for a company like Apple with money to burn, that seems like an expensive buy for something with frankly minimal value to add

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Oh snap it can, just depends on how you word it. Before posting I said "Music Identification" and it replied "I can't identify songs yet". Tried "Music recognition" and it pulled up results for Shazam. After reading your post, I tried "Can you identify this song" and it worked! Didn't know this was a feature.

Edited by Guest
Wording

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Even for a company like Apple with money to burn, that seems like an expensive buy for something with frankly minimal value to add

$401 Million out of the $137Billion dollar bank? 

I think they should buy more companies xD 

While I agree that yourself and I can't think of how this could benefit them in a significant way, there is the fact that we are not on any of Apples software development teams. 

4 minutes ago, tjcater said:

Oh snap it can, just depends on how you word it. Before posting I said "Music Identification" but it said "I can't identify songs yet". Tried "Music recognition" and it pulled up results for Shazam. After reading your post, I tried "Can you identify this song" and it worked! Didn't know it was a feature.

Meanwhile on iOS

*muffled rave music*

"Hey Siri!" 

*ding ding* 

"What song is this?"

*muffled rave music* 

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

$401 Million out of the $137Billion dollar bank? 

I think they should buy more companies xD 

While I agree that yourself and I can't think of how this could benefit them in a significant way, there is the fact that we are not on any of Apples software development teams. 

The most obvious use is to make it easier for people to find and buy songs on iTunes, but are they really gonna increases sales so much that it's worth it!?  idk... seems unlikely to me but I don't know

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Meanwhile on iOS

*muffled rave music*

"Hey Siri!" 

*ding ding* 

"What song is this?"

*muffled rave music* 

*says name of song*

"would you like to buy it on iTunes?"

Basically this.  This is coming, I know it xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The most obvious use is to make it easier for people to find and buy songs on iTunes, but are they really gonna increases sales so much that it's worth it!?

Well the HomePod is coming out soon.......There is one place it can applied. 

And who knows what parts of Shazam Apple wants to buy them for and what they will change or adapt to fit their products. 

And really, recouping $401Million with iTunes (which makes almost $25Billion per year) is reallyyyyyyyy easy. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well the HomePod is coming out soon.......There is one place it can applied. 

And who knows what parts of Shazam Apple wants to buy them for and what they will change or adapt to fit their products. 

And really recouping 401Million with iTunes (which makes almost $25Billion per year) is reallyyyyyyyy easy. 

Well I guess if every song is $1 and they get every user to buy one additional song they would otherwise not have, that would do it right there... hm...

Shazam is actually pretty useful. I would not have a lot of songs in my iTunes library. Its not like the radio tells you the name of every song you hear before, during, and after you hear it. 

I seriously doubt that. 

Shazam was decent a few years ago. But Google's Sound Search has easily surpassed it, running a catalogue  of 40 million songs (vs ~11 million), tracking search history, and doesn't require a 10 second listen to function.

And from my experience, Shazam only identifies the song correctly around 50% of the time, and isn't kept up to date nearly as well as Sound Search.

5 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Meanwhile on iOS

"Hey Siri!" 

*ding ding* 

"What song is this?"

*muffled rave music* 

In the bog standard Google App

"What's this song"

*3 seconds of song playing*

*Correct song*

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Shazam was decent a few years ago. But Google's Sound Search has easily surpassed it, running a catalogue  of 40 million songs (vs ~11 million), tracking search history, and doesn't require a 10 second listen to function.

You do realize that when Apple buys Shazam they will have access to all of iTunes which has 37million+ songs. Also Shazam works in 3 seconds as well and gets it right basically all the time........

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

In the bog standard Google App

"What's this song"

*3 seconds of song playing*

*Correct song*

bb8.png.74ebf57559ffd3232379bf1739328d65.png 

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Also Shazam works in 3 seconds as well.......

Shazam requires approximately 10 seconds to create a 'fingerprint' of the song.

You do realize that when Apple buys Shazam they will have access to all of iTunes which has 37million+ songs.

That'll still be a smaller selection. It also doesn't address the other two points.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Shazam requires approximately 10 seconds to create a 'fingerprint' of the song.

No it doesn't, dude, Siri uses Shazam and it works in 3 seconds. I just did it. 

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

That'll still be a smaller selection.

Well considering Google Play only has 30million songs It does not matter that Google can identify an extra 10Million songs that you cannot buy. 

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

It also doesn't address the other two points.

These two points? 

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And from my experience, Shazam only identifies the song correctly around 50% of the time, and isn't kept up to date nearly as well as Sound Search.

From my experience Shazam works every time and is pretty up to date on adding new songs. 

These two points?

No, the prior points.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Siri uses Shazam and it works in 3 seconds. I just did it. 

I'm calling grade A bullshit on that.

3 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well considering Google Play only has 30million songs It does not matter that Google can identify an extra 10Million songs that you cannot buy.

Every song that brings up a result through Google can be bought. Current standing is 40 million. Prior was 35 million.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Current standing is 40 million. Prior was 35 million.

Well all I did was do a simple search and reported the top results being 37mil and 30mil respectively. 

I'm calling grade A bullshit on that.

And well idc, its not up to me to defend reality. 

Which means I'd lose the Spotify integration of Shazam once Apple acquires it. :(

But what's good with the current Siri integration with Shazam is that I can add a song to my Shazamed list within Siri.

IMG_1198.thumb.PNG.36b2b25babeeb3f441a109dc103f43d7.PNG

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

[...] Shazam and it works in 3 seconds. I just did it.

I think it varies on the song and how well it can hear.  If you're playing a song on your phone for example with no room noise, it goes straight from the speaker into the mic and I could swear I've seen it get it in under 3 seconds before.  That said, in a loud room or with certain songs that are hard to differentiate from others, I can definitely see it taking longer... I've seen it happen.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think it varies on the song and how well it can hear.  If you're playing a song on your phone for example with no room noise, it goes straight from the speaker into the mic and I could swear I've seen it get it in under 3 seconds before.  That said, in a loud room or with certain songs that are hard to differentiate from others, I can definitely see it taking longer... I've seen it happen.

I tried Shazam many times and in a loud environment like a bar or club, Shazam can be hit or miss unlike somewhere quieter like a coffee shop or a bistro.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside