Microsoft Issues Emergency Windows Security Update

robin5693

Think Macs are the only ones that have crazily easy vulnerabilities that can be exploited? Guess again! Microsoft Defender was found to have a memory corruption bug that can be exploited by attackers.

Microsoft said an attacker could place a specially crafted malicious file in a location that is scanned by the Malware Protection Engine to exploit the memory corruption flaw which eventually leads to remote code execution.

Source 1: https://thehackernews.com/2017/12/windows-update-malware-protection.html

Source 2: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-11937

2 minutes ago, robin5693 said:

Think Macs are the only ones that have crazily easy vulnerabilities that can be exploited? Guess again! Microsoft Defender was found to have a memory corruption bug that can be exploited by attackers.

Source 1: https://thehackernews.com/2017/12/windows-update-malware-protection.html

Source 2: https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-11937

LMFAO glad I disabled that shit

Great... I read a thread a couple weeks ago that said a hacker had taken full control over his laptop. My guess is it might have had something to do with it? 

Edit: For reference here is that thread

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

1 minute ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

Great... I read a thread a couple weeks ago that said a hacker had taken full control over his laptop. My guess is it might have had something to do with it? 

This kind of puts it in perspective how long it takes for them to usually roll out updates - somewhat scary.

well mine is already fixed.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, robin5693 said:

Think Macs are the only ones that have crazily easy vulnerabilities that can be exploited?

I don't think anyone thinks that actually... in fact, true or not, I think it's pretty widely thought that Windows is the most vulnerable thing :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

35 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Edit: Argh american dates

Best dates. 

Bow to the Imperial System! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

3 hours ago, robin5693 said:

Microsoft said an attacker could place a specially crafted malicious file in a location that is scanned by the Malware Protection Engine to exploit the memory corruption flaw which eventually leads to remote code execution.

But I use Bitdefender, am I still vulnerable? Also, there's no updates available for me at the moment I'm posting this.

image.png.2b4f0d6e4d558ad46a4853700069a24d.png

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

45 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

But I use Bitdefender, am I still vulnerable? Also, there's no updates available for me at the moment I'm posting this.

Better to use Windows Defender interface to check for updates, it'll show the actual version you have

31 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Better to use Windows Defender interface to check for updates, it'll show the actual version you have

image.png.cddff1f67720621d207395e7ce76d7e5.png

????

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Best dates. 

Bow to the Imperial System! 

Metric time btw....

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

image.png.cddff1f67720621d207395e7ce76d7e5.png

????

As long as the engine version is 1.1.14405.2 and later, you're fine

I am glad that my habit of disabling the AV actually helped me :D

Hm haven't check for updates, not at home. Have MBAM and ESET along though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

23 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

So the anti-virus can be a virus. Am I reading that right?

The entire OS is lol

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W