!HELP! My CPU boots but only without the CPU fan on!

Tyler94
Go to solution Solved by Tyler94,

Messed with the socket and did a little cleaning works fine after giving it a little wiggle.

My computer will boot but only without the cpu fan on. ryzen 1600, stock cooler, msi B350 tomahawk.

3 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

Check that you have it plugged into the correct fan header marked CPU.

Also make sure its properly seated.

how do i make sure it is seated properly

So if its the stock fan, make sure you have thermal paste spread out evenly (unless your using the strip that comes with the heatsink). Then when you install the Cpu cooler screw in the 4 contact posts in a X pattern so do like top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left kind of order. Then ensure the fan cord is plugged into the fan header on the motherboard, if you look closely it will be marked, or just look at the box or manual to find it if you can't tell.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Clear CMOS by removing battery. Also you can try updating BIOS if this is some sort of bug. How it doesn't boot? Nothing happens or you get some error or what?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Clear CMOS by removing battery. Also you can try updating BIOS if this is some sort of bug. How it doesn't boot? Nothing happens or you get some error or what?

Nothing happens. If i boot without cooler on, it boots. So after it boots i just put cooler on while its running and it works fine, but next time i go to boot everything turns on but it doesnt boot.

I will have to suggest a different cooler if for no other reason than to rule it out. 

Dont forget to reapply thermal paste and update the BIOS as someone suggested. 

If that doesn't fix it you most likely have a borked board or CPU. 

This assumes you know how to "build a pc" correctly and that your ram is also fine (memtest ftw) 

1 hour ago, Storytellar said:

I will have to suggest a different cooler if for no other reason than to rule it out. 

Dont forget to reapply thermal paste and update the BIOS as someone suggested. 

If that doesn't fix it you most likely have a borked board or CPU. 

This assumes you know how to "build a pc" correctly and that your ram is also fine (memtest ftw) 

I think i am going to try a hyper 212 evo, thanks for the help

5 hours ago, Tyler94 said:

I think i am going to try a hyper 212 evo, thanks for the help

You only need to try with another fan. It's obviously header issue, not whole cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You only need to try with another fan. It's obviously header issue, not whole cooler.

True but are Ryzen stock coolers standard formfactor? 

18 minutes ago, Storytellar said:

True but are Ryzen stock coolers standard formfactor? 

Fan connectors are. Thats only thing that matters. If they weren't, one would need very specific aftermarket coolers to get them work. And very limited fans. So any fan with 3/4 headers fits and can be used to test. If it doesn't boot with random fan installed --> RMA.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Fan connectors are. Thats only thing that matters

Lol obviously 

. If they weren't, one would need very specific aftermarket coolers to get them work. And very limited fans. So any fan with 3/4 headers fits and can be used to test. If it doesn't boot with random fan installed --> RMA.

But the point was that he might not be able to attach any random fan to the stock ryzen cooler. You missunderstood my point and question. 

I could have been clearer, it is of course correct that the fan is the suspected issue, the cooler is just a piece of metal. 

Having more experience with intel i simply dont know if the ryzen stock coolers fan is of a normal formfactor or if any same size fan can replace it. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

3 minutes ago, Storytellar said:

But the point was that he might not be able to attach any random fan to the stock ryzen cooler. You missunderstood my point and question.

Since we are troubleshooting issue where PC isn't booting with CPU_FAN header connected, I didn't think it would matter if you can or can't change fan for cooler. If another fan would just work, then RMA cooler. If another fan doesn't work, RMA board. No need to buy anything extra to perform basic troubleshooting. That was my point. Case must have at least 1 fan to test in that header.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Since we are troubleshooting issue where PC isn't booting with CPU_FAN header connected, I didn't think it would matter if you can or can't change fan for cooler. If another fan would just work, then RMA cooler. If another fan doesn't work, RMA board. No need to buy anything extra to perform basic troubleshooting. That was my point. Case must have at least 1 fan to test in that header.

Fair point.

My thought was that if the guy didnt have stuff around to do that he might as well aftermarket. 

And by now he will need thernal goop anyways I bet ;)

2 hours ago, Storytellar said:

Fair point.

My thought was that if the guy didnt have stuff around to do that he might as well aftermarket. 

And by now he will need thernal goop anyways I bet ;)

Would it be a header issue? Because i cant just start it without it plugged in, it has to be completely removed to get it to boot

1 hour ago, Tyler94 said:

Would it be a header issue? Because i cant just start it without it plugged in, it has to be completely removed to get it to boot

That is what we want you to test by plugging in a different fan, for example one of your case fans, into the CPU_FAN header and trying to boot. 

If it boots with the case fan you got lucky and it is the cooler fan causing it. 

2 hours ago, Storytellar said:

That is what we want you to test by plugging in a different fan, for example one of your case fans, into the CPU_FAN header and trying to boot. 

If it boots with the case fan you got lucky and it is the cooler fan causing it. 

I can boot withe the cpu fan is plugged in but it has to be unscrewed from the bracket to do that so im thinking there is something with the cooler and im just gonna try an aftermarket one, Thanks for the help guys!

18 hours ago, Tyler94 said:

I can boot withe the cpu fan is plugged in but it has to be unscrewed from the bracket to do that so im thinking there is something with the cooler and im just gonna try an aftermarket one, Thanks for the help guys!

Unscrewed? Its just header/wire we are talking about.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

If you have to remove the entire cooler for it to boot, it sounds like something isn't mounted or installed correctly. Have you tired removing the CPU and reinstalling it to assure it has a proper seating then reapplying the the cooler?

I am whatever I am. 

5 hours ago, N3rot0xin said:

If you have to remove the entire cooler for it to boot, it sounds like something isn't mounted or installed correctly. Have you tired removing the CPU and reinstalling it to assure it has a proper seating then reapplying the the cooler?

I have done so 3 times, boots every time without cooler, but once it is screwed into the bracket (using the x method) it no longer boots.

2 hours ago, Tyler94 said:

I have done so 3 times, boots every time without cooler, but once it is screwed into the bracket (using the x method) it no longer boots.

Not to be a debbie-downer but i think you have a borked cpu socket. When you tighten down on the socket and it stops booting, the pcb could be cracked or warped around the socket and/or cooler mounting plate/bracket. 

I am whatever I am. 

40 minutes ago, N3rot0xin said:

Not to be a debbie-downer but i think you have a borked cpu socket. When you tighten down on the socket and it stops booting, the pcb could be cracked or warped around the socket and/or cooler mounting plate/bracket. 

should i contact Msi then? Would pictures allow you to tell?

14 hours ago, Tyler94 said:

should i contact Msi then? Would pictures allow you to tell?

Do both. Contact MSI and get some pics.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv