Japanese firm to use Drone to force overtime staff to go home

Go to solution Solved by kasugatei,

They start to play Auld Lang Syne ~5-10min before closing time so the customers know that it is time to finish shopping. They also play it 5-10min before trade show closing time as well.
Lots of things are connected with music in Japan. Eg. in the morning before work they usually play "radio taiso" - morning workout music. They also play melodies at 17:00 on PA systems every day all over the residential areas so the kids know that it is time to get back home. At some large companies they play "school bell" during the lunch break.

Regarding the overwork, AFAIK even kids at schools during their summer, winter etc. break don't actually have any break. They get shit ton of homework to do during the "break" and usually they do that homework at school. So, break my ass. I would say that is one of the factors which promotes overwork culture. Also, lots of people are single and simply do not want to get married so all they have is their work. Some men don't want to marry just because they don't want to give most of their money to their wives. Eg. my  Japanese friend's colleague has salary between $5000-$10000 at Japanese company and his wife allows him to have $300 (three hundred) per month for all of his personal needs. 

Finally, there is one other thing which is obvious if you have any real connection with Japanese culture is that everything that counts is being physically present. You know stories about sleeping during the meetings? It is fine because you are physically there. In some more traditional companies there is something that is not understandable for the westerners. It is that even if you work in a company for eg. 3 years and you do 10 times more than average worker there, the guy who worked there at the same position for 7 years playing solitaire for the whole time and doing almost nothing will have better salary than the better performing person and that person will be promoted sooner than better performing person just because the former person was physically more present than the other person. I have been told by some people that their Japanese supervisors were complaining because those people did not want to do non necessary overtime although they were more productive than the guys who would stay 3-4h more doing basically nothing. 

You there! Time to Go Home

5614380.jpg

PS:Not this drone^^

Okay , it's a cheesy idea , but kinda cool to see stuff like this happening , A Japanese firm is proposing an idea to kick out over working employees on time for their own good by literally annoying them out of the door with an autonomous drone , The drone will fly through offices after hours playing Auld Lang Syne, which is commonly used to announce that stores are closing.To alert & annoy them to leave their post & go home, when it detects an over staying employee, it hovers over their head & keep playing the tune until they move away from their post. according to the firm employees tend to get lost in their office job & forget when the time to leave or sometimes deliberately overstay to do as much work as they can possible.

The camera-equipped drone will take flights through the office space playing the famous Scottish tune "You can't really work when you think it's coming over any time now' and hear Auld Lang Syne along with the buzz,"

T-Frend can take a pre-programmed flight across the office autonomously, using its sensors to navigate around walls and other obstacles while staying at a certain height to avoid papers flying up from its propellers. As well as an end-of-work alarm, T-Rend also functions as a security drone, filming surveillance footage and storing the data on an SD card. The drone’s developers are also considering outfitting it with facial recognition technology to help spot burglars and other intruders after-hours

overworked-employee.jpg

The drone is primarily a security guard that uses a video recorder to sweep the building when most of the company’s employees have gone home

Japan has some of the longest working hours in the developed world , The problem of long hours has even led to the coining of a new word: "karoshi" or dying from overwork.

i kinda just imagine it being like a really big annoying mosquito , The idea of sending a drone to do this instead of sending another personnel to clear out the person from their post is also interesting , they have tried this method but it cause more problems within the job environment apparently & frictions between employees became too often heated , since there's no physical entity you can argue with when it's a drone & you cannot take it personally because that would be stupid this kinda gets the job done & it's a win-win.

5a2969a4fc7e93a97a8b4567.jpg

The T-Frend drone is a collaboration between Tasei, drone system developer Blue Innovation and the telecommunications operator NTT East. T-Frend’s developers are looking into using facial recognition technology so that late workers can be identified.  The Drone hovers around the heads of workers clocking in overtime & It plays Auld Lang Syne, an 18th century Scottish ballad better known in Japan for telling shop customers it’s closing time.

Japan has some of the longest working hours in the world, and some young Japanese workers are literally working themselves to death

Nearly a quarter of Japanese companies have employees working more than 80 hours overtime a month, often unpaid, a recent survey found. And 12% have employees breaking the 100 hours a month mark. Those numbers are important , as 80 hours overtime a month is regarded as the threshold above which you have an increased chance of dying.(take notes Linus :ph34r:)

young-concentrated-woman-sitting-in-her-

Working long hours in Japan is viewed as dedication and loyalty from the employee to the employer, a culture that the Japanese government has been trying to change. Every year in Japan, many workers die due to strokes, heart attacks and suicides, Workers are entitled to 20 days leave a year but currently about 35% don't take any of it.

Overstaying at work especially among people who are new at a company, is seen as the cause of many of the health problems such as heart attacks , strokes & increased tendency to commit suicide.

Examples :

On Christmas Day in 2015, 24-year-old Matsuri Takahashi, an employee at the Japanese advertising agency Dentsu, jumped to her death. It emerged she had barely slept after working more than 100 hours of overtime a month in the period leading up to her death.

In October, 31-year-old journalist Miwa Sado’s death in 2013 was ruled as ‘karoshi’ after it turned out she had logged 159 hours of overtime in one month at the NHK news agency

30983786-Portrait-of-overworked-business

Critics say the government is prioritizing business and economic interests at the expense of the welfare of workers. T-Frend drone is expected to be launched in April next year, sadly it's a monthly subscription based service but it would be carried out remotely off site , The service starts with a target price of around 500,000 yen (around usd $4,400) a month . So what do you think about this? leave a comment down below.

Sources :

https://www.davidicke.com/index.php/article/443533/japanese-firms-deploy-singing-drones-combat-overwork-culture

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-42275874

https://dronedj.com/2017/12/08/go-home-drone-tells-japanese-workers-to-well-go-home/

https://www.rt.com/news/412384-japan-singing-drones-overtime/

http://taisei-bm.co.jp/beyond/t-frend/

Details separate people.

Dammit these Japanese. Go home and have babies. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

6 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

*snip*

This is a good idea. especially the security part. The only potential problems I see are the papers flying. I saw that itll fly at a height as not to disturb them, but its not the the roof is 10 feet up, Also, battery??? its not going to be flying the while night for sure :P

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

LMAO

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

One may be inclined to think Japanese business culture is the logical extreme that US business culture wants to achieve.

That story comes out next week ;)

"US firm to use drone to force staff to work additional overtime"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Interesting attempted solution to a complicated problem. I have "worked" in Japan a long time ago as part of my university studies. It wasn't officially work in that I wasn't paid a salary. Maybe to get around some employment regulations, but I was given a living allowance during my months there. Anyway, I wasn't bound to the office politics of regular staff, and that culture was visible then. Everyone was there when I got in. Everyone was there when I left. I'm not even sure some of them have homes to go to...

I'd argue there is a slight difference here, they have to be seen to appear to work hard. It doesn't necessarily follow they have to be productive, although they could be. The job culture over there is less mobile than we're used to in the west and moving jobs is less common, and that may be a contributing factor.

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

There's a shortage of catgirl waifus. In the interests of equality, catboys are an option too.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

What’s forcing them to work such long hours though? Are they just going for bigger paychecks or is it like a pride thing? Looking for promotions?

That's an F in the profile pic

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

What’s forcing them to work such long hours though? Are they just going for bigger paychecks or is it like a pride thing? Looking for promotions?

Nothing, just loyalty , "Working long hours in Japan is viewed as dedication and loyalty from the employee to the employer"

Details separate people.

2 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I would say its in their culture but that's just my guess. I was there and I can't imagine working in there. They are always smiling and appear to be full of energy.

I am having trouble to not fall asleep after 1h...

meanwhile im here wishing my 8 hours job could become a 6 hour one

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

You know your work culture is fucked up if you're expected to work yourself to death and that you're fine with it.

Elsewhere it's going the opposite direction: working less and less. And if I recall the productivity is the same or higher. In other words: work better, not longer.

*swat*

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

30 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

You know your work culture is fucked up if you're expected to work yourself to death and that you're fine with it.

Elsewhere it's going the opposite direction: working less and less. And if I recall the productivity is the same or higher. In other words: work better, not longer.

Cultural bias dies hard. For instance many countries saw France as lazy when the working time for blue collars went down to 35 hours from something like 39 or so. They said it would never work, etc. In the end, productivity went up and the same work was done anyway.

Still, even though it has been proven to work there and in other countries afterwards, you'll always see german, swiss, american, chinese or japanese (and so many other cultures) say it doesn't show dedication and that it is a bad thing.

Overall happiness in the workplace is disregarded in most companies and itll take a few generations to change

I'm no expert on Japanese culture, but I was always told it was a cultural issue that caused this type of behaviour,  if so wouldn't an attempt to change the whole culture be better than ostracizing individuals for not wanting to be ostracized by their country?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Can't support that new family member without more hours worked.

Well a drone flying to kick people out when they work overtime?

I might just as well ignore the sounds its producing and continue working which may not be a popular opinion here

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

If it was at least Paid overtime, wouldn't be so bad. But many of them keep working long after hours, without pay.
It's as if they were afraid of going back home. No wonder Japan has a declining birth rate issue, everyone work too damn much so they are too tired to fuck.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I really like this idea, although I wonder what their definition of "overworked" is.

I work around 160 hours a month, my employers refuse to pay for more hours even if I work more.

I'm asking the question because 80 hours overtime doesn't mean shit if I don't know what the amount of hours before overtime kicks in is.

Story time!  (to lazy for a proper transition)

My mom worked for UCSF (University of California, San Francisco) as a neurological nurse, she many times had to work overtime, without pay.

Also, if she wanted to properly take care of her patents, she had to take more time to properly take care of them.

She ended up getting tendinitis in both of her arms, largely due to overwork, but also due to the lack of ergonomic setups where she had to do her charting.

In under two years, she suffered debilitating bodily injuries due to a poor work environment, so a story to everyone that might be reading this, your health is by far the most important thing you have, remember that always, and don't do anything that might jeopardize it.

1 hour ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

I really like this idea, although I wonder what their definition of "overworked" is.

I work around 160 hours a month, my employers refuse to pay for more hours even if I work more.

I'm asking the question because 80 hours overtime doesn't mean shit if I don't know what the amount of hours before overtime kicks in is.

Story time!  (to lazy for a proper transition)

My mom worked for UCSF (University of California, San Francisco) as a neurological nurse, she many times had to work overtime, without pay.

Also, if she wanted to properly take care of her patents, she had to take more time to properly take care of them.

She ended up getting tendinitis in both of her arms, largely due to overwork, but also due to the lack of ergonomic setups where she had to do her charting.

In under two years, she suffered debilitating bodily injuries due to a poor work environment, so a story to everyone that might be reading this, your health is by far the most important thing you have, remember that always, and don't do anything that might jeopardize it.

Well, in one instance a woman worked those 160 you do a month extra. That means she might have worked something like 160 regular plus 160 overtime. It depends on your work I guess but let's assume 8 hours a day which works out to 40 hours a week if we're assuming you get weekends off and there's roughly 4 weeks in a month. So she'd be working 16 hours a day to achieve that, more or less. She'd be doing that for the entire month five days a week. Of course the work days and weeks might be shorter or longer - I don't know. It's still crazy to think someone works 250, 300 or in this case 320 hours (which is still an assumption on my part) considering it seems a lot of it is unpaid. So you have nothing to show for your dedication other than death in this case.

It seems in Japan that the loyalty thing is a very one-way street. Sure you might get job security and perhaps some promotions but I do believe the value generated from logging 80+ hours overtime a month is skewed heavily in favor of the company.

As for your mother: the healthcare field sadly has a perpetual lack of staff. I think that might be a global issue. No employee should have to pull double shifts regularly or regularly be working overtime. Not to mention the strain it puts on your body from the work itself. I know the cost. I have a mother myself with a broken body including three different kinds of rheumatic diseases.

11 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Well, in one instance a woman worked those 160 you do a month extra. That means she might have worked something like 160 regular plus 160 overtime. It depends on your work I guess but let's assume 8 hours a day which works out to 40 hours a week if we're assuming you get weekends off and there's roughly 4 weeks in a month. So she'd be working 16 hours a day to achieve that, more or less. She'd be doing that for the entire month five days a week. Of course the work days and weeks might be shorter or longer - I don't know. It's still crazy to think someone works 250, 300 or in this case 320 hours (which is still an assumption on my part) considering it seems a lot of it is unpaid. So you have nothing to show for your dedication other than death in this case.

That would be the assumption, but we still don't know when the overtime kicks in.  Unless there is something that I don't know.

13 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It seems in Japan that the loyalty thing is a very one-way street. Sure you might get job security and perhaps some promotions but I do believe the value generated from logging 80+ hours overtime a month is skewed heavily in favor of the company.

I'll be frank, loyalty to ones employers or a company is almost always self destructive.

15 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

As for your mother: the healthcare field sadly has a perpetual lack of staff. I think that might be a global issue.

I'm very well aware.  My mom has many horror stories of overworked nurses making mistakes that ended up costing patents their lives.

Although no one would ever admit that was what's going on.  Hooray for cover ups!

15 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I think that might be a global issue. No employee should have to pull double shifts regularly or regularly be working overtime. Not to mention the strain it puts on your body from the work itself.

Especially in a job as demanding as a nurse.  Where people's lives literally depended on them.

16 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I know the cost. I have a mother myself with a broken body including three different kinds of rheumatic diseases.

Sorry to hear that, my mom ended up getting better, but we both agreed that it wasn't worth her not being able to play guitar ever again.  So she quit.