Refresh Rate Confusion

Mercuryaces

Hey guys, I recently built a pc, and got a 144hz monitor to go with it, I'm not sure I'm utilizing it right though.

When I open my monitor settings, (through the monitor itself, not the pc) I see it says, "video output 120hz" but it also says, "DVI input 60hz"

Is this right? does the input need to match the output to actually get that high refresh rate? Sorry, I'm new to refresh rate, coming from a console on a vizio TV...

Common DVI doesn't do 1080p144hz you need dual link DVI

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Common DVI doesn't do 1080p144hz you need dual link DVI

Does the same go for HDMI? I had it connected via HDMI as well and the same info was showing. I find it odd that my monitor wouldn't come with the cables to actually utilize it's advertised 144hz.

Just now, Mercuryaces said:

Not surprising at all my LG 29UM69-G came with the HDMI cable as well but with it I'm locked to 2560x1080p60hz, when I got myself the Display Port cable I managed to overclock it all the way up 2560x1080p100hz.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Mercuryaces said:

Is this right? does the input need to match the output to actually get that high refresh rate? Sorry, I'm new to refresh rate, coming from a console on a vizio TV...

Yes the input needs to match it to get that refresh rate. Like Princess Cadence said DVI cannot handle that data stream. HDMI 2.0 can handle the data but I need to know your graphics card to know if it has the right port. You could try DisplayPort. It can handle it. Also, is the monitor freesync or Gysync or neither?

Just now, Judd said:

Yes the input needs to match it to get that refresh rate. Like Princess Cadence said DVI cannot handle that data stream. HDMI 2.0 can handle the data but I need to know your graphics card to know if it has the right port. You could try DisplayPort. It can handle it. Also, is the monitor freesync or Gysync or neither?

Monitor

GPU

36 minutes ago, Mercuryaces said:

Monitor

GPU

If you used the included DVI cable, it should support 144Hz. Maybe you just hadn't switched it to 144Hz in Windows?

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

If you used the included DVI cable, it should support 144Hz. Maybe you just hadn't switched it to 144Hz in Windows?

How do I manually change the refresh rate?

1 hour ago, Mercuryaces said:

How do I manually change the refresh rate?

You simply right-click on your desktop, go to screen settings, select your 144Hz monitor and scroll down to "adapter properties". You can change its refresh rate in the monitor tab.

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

3 hours ago, Jonas_2909 said:

You simply right-click on your desktop, go to screen settings, select your 144Hz monitor and scroll down to "adapter properties". You can change its refresh rate in the monitor tab.

Thanks much! All is working at 144hz now!