PC Fans

spree

Hi there!

I was just wondering how much of a differance in both sound and temperature upgrading from "Fractal Design Silent Series R3 120mm" to "Noctua NF-P14s redux-900 140mm"

Is it even worth upgrading? 

-Thanks!

Depends on how sensitive you are to sound, there will be a difference... how much is hard to say.

You will gain the reliability of Noctua, and the larger surface area possibly will help cool PCB components.

It really depends on how your system is setup, with out seeing whats in question it's hard to guess.

I have a cue light I can use to show you when I’m joking, if you like.

2 minutes ago, TARS said:

Depends on how sensitive you are to sound, there will be a difference... how much is hard to say.

You will gain the reliability of Noctua, and the larger surface area possibly will help cool PCB components.

It really depends on how your system is setup, with out seeing whats in question it's hard to guess.

But you would say it's worth upgrading? It's also an upgrade from 120mm to 140mm, that should also make a differance right? It's 4 new fans btw.

My case is the Phanteks P400S, I dont know what else I can do to show my PC.

I personally would do it.

57 minutes ago, TARS said:

I personally would do it.

And also there wont be any compatability issues, right? Nothing weird just switching out them? Both are 3 pins. 

The only thing that could be a factor is if they were PWM fans, sometimes the header doesn't supply enough voltage to run them at a slower speed.

Noctua fans come with a plethora of adapters, so I don't foresee any compatibility issues.

3 minutes ago, TARS said:

The only thing that could be a factor is if they were PWM fans, sometimes the header doesn't supply enough voltage to run them at a slower speed.

Noctua fans come with a plethora of adapters, so I don't foresee any compatibility issues.

Are you talking about the old fans beeing PWM or the new (noctua) because does it matter what the old ones were? Sorry I have never swapped out fans before, and I am a noob :3 

4-pins = DC with Pulse Width Modulation.... a PWM fan controller provides bursts of power to regulate the fan speed.
3-pin = DC with RPM monitor..... a fan controller can control fan speed by reducing voltage.

PWM use less power, provide better control, lower possible RPMs but are more complicated and less common.

Read more here

4 minutes ago, TARS said:

4-pins = DC with Pulse Width Modulation.... a PWM fan controller provides bursts of power to regulate the fan speed.
3-pin = DC with RPM monitor..... a fan controller can control fan speed by reducing voltage.

PWM use less power, provide better control, lower possible RPMs but are more complicated and less common.

Read more here

I have a speed fan setting on my monitor already, so I can set the RPM on my current fans. 

Shouldn't be any compatability issues. 

3 minutes ago, spree said:

I have a speed fan setting on my monitor already, so I can set the RPM on my current fans. 

Shouldn't be any compatability issues. 

A motherboard fan controller can have issues at lower voltage with a PWM fan is what I am saying.

Typically you won't see this much if the fans are running at a reasonable speed, at a lower speed the fan may just twitch.

A motherboard fan controller can have issues at lower voltage with a PWM fan is what I am saying.

Typically you won't see this much if the fans are running at a reasonable speed, at a lower speed the fan may just twitch.

Okay I am not getting smarter by this conversation haha :P

Let's just end it with - can I just swap them out and they will spin, without any problems? Not concerning fan speed or lowering RPM or anything.