Limitations of the ps4?

CuriousBro

I'm looking at getting a new monitor and was originally figuring a 144hz monitor was a good idea, but I learned that a ps4 won't display above 60hz. BUT response time matters. I was wondering if I buy a monitor with a 4ms response time and it comes in 144hz, will the mismatch cancel out the response time? Specifically, my potential monitor is the VIOTEK GN32C 32" 144hz. I had another post, but it was about hertz. or the Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor (360 Degree Design) if I'm willing to spend the money.

Given that hertz essentially doesn't matter, will the 4ms response time reduce blur and ghosting on consoles? And yes I'm in love with a 32in screen.

Motherboard: Asus Tuf X570-Plus | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Eight-Core Processor | GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10gb  | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 | Case: ATX Mid Tower Case | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB & 1TB M.2 | Display: Samsung C27HG70 27" 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms | Operating System: Windows 10

7 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

I'm looking at getting a new monitor and was originally figuring a 144hz monitor was a good idea, but I learned that a ps4 won't display above 60hz. BUT response time matters. I was wondering if I buy a monitor with a 4ms response time and it comes in 144hz, will the mismatch cancel out the response time? Specifically, my potential monitor is the VIOTEK GN32C 32" 144hz. I had another post, but it was about hertz.

Given that hertz essentially doesn't matter, will the 4ms response time reduce blur and ghosting on consoles? And yes I'm in love with a 32in screen.

The response time and refresh rate aren't dependent on each other.

15 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

I'm looking at getting a new monitor and was originally figuring a 144hz monitor was a good idea, but I learned that a ps4 won't display above 60hz. BUT response time matters. I was wondering if I buy a monitor with a 4ms response time and it comes in 144hz, will the mismatch cancel out the response time? Specifically, my potential monitor is the VIOTEK GN32C 32" 144hz. I had another post, but it was about hertz. or the Samsung C32H711 32-Inch WQHD QLED Curved Monitor (360 Degree Design) if I'm willing to spend the money.

Just make sure that you can choose 1440p in PS4 if you're gonna buy QHD monitor. I don't know about PS, but in Xbox (at least right now) you can't select QHD so I have to play in 1080p.

1 minute ago, nishe1 said:

Just make sure that you can choose 1440p in PS4 if you're gonna buy QHD monitor. I don't know about PS, but in Xbox (at least right know) you can't select QHD so I have to play in 1080p.

yeah neither of them support QHD last i checked. only 1080p or 4K. they are meant for TV and nobody makes a QHD TV.

and also... response time doesn't matter for shit on a console..................... there's input lag in a million more places than on a PC. between the controller and other image processing stuff the consoles do (to upscale and stuff), you can't take advantage of your expensive screen.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah neither of them support QHD last i checked. only 1080p or 4K. they are meant for TV and nobody makes a QHD TV.

and also... response time doesn't matter for shit on a console..................... there's input lag in a million more places than on a PC. between the controller and other image processing stuff the consoles do (to upscale and stuff), you can't take advantage of your expensive screen.

I've read a few days ago that QHD will be supported by Xbox One X very soon. But I don't know about One S, which I have. :/

Is there any monitor type that would reduce blur? Does anything matter. There is this video. Either this guy is lying or the SquintyG33Rs is being mellow dramatic.

Motherboard: Asus Tuf X570-Plus | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x Eight-Core Processor | GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10gb  | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL14 | Case: ATX Mid Tower Case | Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB & 1TB M.2 | Display: Samsung C27HG70 27" 2560x1440 144Hz 1ms | Operating System: Windows 10

9 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

Response time has nothing to do with input lag, it affects motion blur, not lag.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Response time has nothing to do with input lag, it affects motion blur, not lag.

yeah

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

On 12/8/2017 at 2:01 AM, SquintyG33Rs said:

Does that mean the screen will not display video output by the ps4? If so, what formats will?

I'm now looking at the AOC Q2778VQE 27-Inch Class LED-Lit Monitor, Quad 2560x1440 Resolution, 1ms, 20M:1 DCR, 350cd/m2 Brightness, VGA / DVI /HDMI /DP, VESA, Extra Narrow Bezel...................... But I don't know if it's compatible with the ps4.

9 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

Does that mean the screen will not display video output by the ps4? If so, what formats will?

I'm now looking at the AOC Q2778VQE 27-Inch Class LED-Lit Monitor, Quad 2560x1440 Resolution, 1ms, 20M:1 DCR, 350cd/m2 Brightness, VGA / DVI /HDMI /DP, VESA, Extra Narrow Bezel...................... But I don't know if it's compatible with the ps4.

It will still work, it will just be a 1080p image upscaled to 1440p, which won't look quite as sharp as it would on an actual 1080p screen. If you're getting a monitor specifically for the PS4 there's no point in getting a 1440p monitor.

12 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

It will still work, it will just be a 1080p image upscaled to 1440p, which won't look quite as sharp as it would on an actual 1080p screen. If you're getting a monitor specifically for the PS4 there's no point in getting a 1440p monitor.

I'm in a little bit of a pickle on that. I want to get the ps4 pro... Which can go up to 4k.

4 minutes ago, CuriousBro said:

I'm in a little bit of a pickle on that. I want to get the ps4 pro... Which can go up to 4k.

It doesn't support 1440p though, so if you're not going to get a 4K monitor then go for 1080p. There's no point in a 1440p monitor for PS4, pro or not.

2 hours ago, CuriousBro said:

it will. the screens and or console will always adapt to a common ground that's not something you have to worry about. but it just won't get any benefits from paying so much more for a better screen

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

At this point, should I make a new thread? What I'm looking for has changed dramatically.

This looks like it fits the bill.  BenQ ZOWIE 27 inch Full HD Gaming Monitor - 1080p 1ms Response Time for Competitive eSports Gaming (RL2755)

Edit: I want to thank everyone for helping. I almost wasted money on this little venture.