Idle and under light load temps

wojwen

I've got i7-8700K at stock and recently I've been monitoring my temperatures (it's the first time I have a powerful CPU so I want to make sure everything is alright). I have Noctua nh-d15s and my temps with no load are around 35C, and with light load like watching youtube and browsing internet or steam they are around 45C but with spikes (when I load a video on yt) to 55C. Is this fine or should I do something?

That's completely fine, most modern CPU's can reach 70C and even low 80's without any problems. (ofc its recommend to be lower, also Intel's newer CPU have spikes up to an extra 5C-10C)

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

12 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

That's completely fine, most modern CPU's can reach 70C and even low 80's without any problems

I'm not afraid that the temps will damage something, just wanted to know if they are normal at this kind of load.

7 minutes ago, wojwen said:

I'm not afraid that the temps will damage something, just wanted to know if the are normal at this kind of load.

Yes that's normal.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

23 minutes ago, wojwen said:

I've got i7-8700K at stock and recently I've been monitoring my temperatures (it's the first time I have a powerful CPU so I want to make sure everything is alright). I have Noctua nh-d15s and my temps with no load are around 35C, and with light load like watching youtube and browsing internet or steam they are around 45C but with spikes (when I load a video on yt) to 55C. Is this fine or should I do something?

Completely normal my friend! I have the i5 8600k and it will do the exact same thing! I had forgotten that Intel chips do this and so for my latest build, I had done some research in panic and even had contacted Intel to confirm what I had then learned about IHS and die interaction. Basically when putting on brief little spikes of load (as with watching YouTube, typing in Microsoft Word, etc, you cause electricity to rapidly shoot through the chip (obviously completely safe amounts as is the design of modern CPUs...) and therefore heating up the chip. As you are not under constant load, this heat is rapidly transferred to the IHS, then to your thermal compound, and then to your cooler (whatever that may be, H100i, stock cooler, etc). 

Long story short, your CPU is doing everything EXACTLY as it was designed. :)

22 minutes ago, wojwen said:

I'm not afraid that the temps will damage something, just wanted to know if they are normal at this kind of load.

O yea that's very good temps (I'm running a 8700k as well but using a cooler that I won't be using temporarily so I'm getting a bit hotter temps). The spikes are due to Intel's shit TiM (Thermal Interface Material) between the CPU die and the IHS (integrated heat spreader). (It is completely fine) 

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset