Recommended Fan Curve

MikaelRs

Hello, I recently bought 3 new Corsair ML140 fans because my old ones where Sleeve bearings which I had unknowing of the issues Sleeve bearing fans have with being mounted horizontally, had been mounted horizontally.

These new fans are 140mm and have magnetic bearings.

They go from 400RPM to 2000RPM at 16-37dB and 20-97CFM.

I have only been able to plug two of them in but I'm going to buy a fan splitter later.

My idle temp is at 35C, Load is 70C on CPU.

Idle 40C, Load 60-70C on GPU.

I have 2 more fans, both are the included Fractal Design Fans which I have mounted to front, one is turned on all the time and the other one is plugged in to the GPU which only starts the fans at above 60C, I'm going to ignore those though as they are DC and I think only 1000RPM.

The software I'm using is SpeedFan as it is easy to set up and doesn't have bloat.

So I'm asking for a good fan curve based on this.

Advice is also helpful as I'm open to trying it myself.

What motherboard are you using? Any reason you're not using the motherboard's default settings?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What motherboard are you using? Any reason you're not using the motherboard's default settings?

Oh whoops I thought it said below.

ASUS Maximus IX Hero

i7 7700k with Hyper 212 Evo

ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti 

Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

I'm not using defaults since my fan is 2000RPM and the BIOS still puts them at 100% at 65C

39 minutes ago, MikaelRs said:

Oh whoops I thought it said below.

ASUS Maximus IX Hero

i7 7700k with Hyper 212 Evo

ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti 

Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed

I'm not using defaults since my fan is 2000RPM and the BIOS still puts them at 100% at 65C

On another note, I just booted my PC up to set my fan speeds and for some reason, SpeedFan is showing completely different temps than both HWMonitor and RealTemp, which makes my fan curves useless.

4 hours ago, MikaelRs said:

On another note, I just booted my PC up to set my fan speeds and for some reason, SpeedFan is showing completely different temps than both HWMonitor and RealTemp, which makes my fan curves useless.

Then adjust curves accordingly if you insist on using SpeedFan. You can change how mobo controls fans from BIOS (PWM vs DC). That will fix any full speed issues.

As for curve, that's 100% personal preference thing. My way is to determine at which speed fan makes too much noise and set top speed to just under that. Then set low point to where fan still runs (DC) or at 0rpm (PWM). And have linear curve between them. Test and adjust if needed.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Then adjust curves accordingly if you insist on using SpeedFan. You can change how mobo controls fans from BIOS (PWM vs DC). That will fix any full speed issues.

As for curve, that's 100% personal preference thing. My way is to determine at which speed fan makes too much noise and set top speed to just under that. Then set low point to where fan still runs (DC) or at 0rpm (PWM). And have linear curve between them. Test and adjust if needed.

It was set to PWM already, if you read through the comment I just posted my fan curves have been rendered useless because SpeedFan is displaying my temperatures wrong, it says 20C on the cores and package 35C even when under load, HWMonitor says 70C. This makes it so my fan curves are based on a false temperature, making it so they're still running at 30% when launching a game.

4 hours ago, MikaelRs said:

It was set to PWM already, if you read through the comment I just posted my fan curves have been rendered useless because SpeedFan is displaying my temperatures wrong, it says 20C on the cores and package 35C even when under load, HWMonitor says 70C. This makes it so my fan curves are based on a false temperature, making it so they're still running at 30% when launching a game.

SpeedFan dev is having a hard time with new chipsets. You can try with Asus own software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

SpeedFan dev is having a hard time with new chipsets. You can try with Asus own software.

Ok, AI Suite is bulky, bloaty and has a confusing layout though, it also crashes my PC on login

46 minutes ago, MikaelRs said:

Ok, AI Suite is bulky, bloaty and has a confusing layout though, it also crashes my PC on login

What about BIOS?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

19 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

What about BIOS?

It goes 0C-65C and it has to be atleast 100% at 65, which makes it useless.

On 12/9/2017 at 10:57 AM, MikaelRs said:

It goes 0C-65C and it has to be atleast 100% at 65, which makes it useless.

Which fan headers are you using and what are your settings? Have you tried just using the motherboard settings without SpeedFan?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.