How did Linus become Linus?

DarshanDash
9 hours ago, Cinnabar Sonar said:

He was born, and his parents named him Linus.

Edit: Dammit, @JoostinOnline beat me to it!  :P

I kind of hope he sees my summary of his conception. I also hope he doesn't ban me for it. xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

12 hours ago, kirashi said:

Not to bash anyone's school decisions, but I too am finding in the world of technology degrees are kind of useless, not because of the cost or the way they're taught, but because tech changes faster than they can create courses to teach it. Sure, a lot of jobs still want to see degrees, but all the IT, sysadmin, and technical jobs where I live ask for minimum 2-3 years experience working in the field too, which is a catch22 situation since no one will give you a job so you can get the experience they ask for.

At the end of the day though, it's about the people you know, and the connections you make. One of my friends (er, maybe not anymore since the summer) got his 4 year BA majoring in Computer Science, specifically taking lots of Network and Security certifications, and he had a hard time finding a job that paid well, since all the higher paying jobs wanted a shitload of experience. The best part? I know as much as he does about general computing and troubleshooting, and I have zero post secondary education.

Now, when it comes to configuring proprietary CISCO hardware or Exchange / AD servers, he's miles ahead, but I was surprised to learn that much of what they were taught in university was stuff you could Google while on the job, assuming your learning style is hands-on. I've found that no matter how much you know about IT, there's always going to be some poorly designed proprietary system in every company that confuses end users and makes IT helpdesk staff want to stab the developers of said system for failing to consult with the UI/UX design department, probably because manglement decided there wasn't enough budget to do it properly the first time, and there's no amount of schooling that will prepare you for that. Ever.

Unless you're https://www.reddit.com/user/tuxedo_jack , in which case you carry a flask with you at all times and use it to "fix computers" when the boss isn't looking.

I wouldn't really want to be a sysadmin though, that's not what I'm getting a degree for. After getting my engineering degree (hopefully by march) I'll be shooting for software engineering jobs where I'll be asked to solve new problems in specialized fields. I don't think I'll get one right away, but that is the final goal. You can't really do that well without the knowledge you gain in a university course. Configuring hardware is easy to learn on the field or by reading manuals, computer science and engineering are a different matter. Don't confuse computer science with software engineering though, they end up having different applications and hiring rates in the real world - engineers generally always bring useful practical skills to the company, computer scientists are more geared towards research.

And yes, large software development is hell - but if there is a competent engineer (preferably more than one) running the operation it can be tolerable or, at the very least, functional. Some things you can't learn in University, but University makes sure you don't need to ALSO learn the theory while you learn the practice.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I wouldn't really want to be a sysadmin though, that's not what I'm getting a degree for. After getting my engineering degree (hopefully by march) I'll be shooting for software engineering jobs where I'll be asked to solve new problems in specialized fields. I don't think I'll get one right away, but that is the final goal. You can't really do that well without the knowledge you gain in a university course. Configuring hardware is easy to learn on the field or by reading manuals, computer science and engineering are a different matter. Don't confuse computer science with software engineering though, they end up having different applications and hiring rates in the real world - engineers generally always bring useful practical skills to the company, computer scientists are more geared towards research.

And yes, large software development is hell - but if there is a competent engineer (preferably more than one) running the operation it can be tolerable or, at the very least, functional. Some things you can't learn in University, but University makes sure you don't need to ALSO learn the theory while you learn the practice.

Then absolutely hit up school as you are, since software engineering is an entirely different ball game in the world of tech. I actually envy programmers, despite criticizing design and functionality decisions, since I have no desire to learn C or any language that has layers of abstraction - it's just not for me. But if you're aiming for specialized work in a certain field where you need engineering under your belt, have at it!

I realize now I should have made it more clear I was talking about Computer Science positions that focus more on configuration, deployment, and general troubleshooting, and not engineering positions where software development is involved. Both are always changing, but the software engineering role definitely seems a lot more intense and requires more dedication to theory rather than checking to see if it's plugged in or not. :P What field are you aiming for right now?

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

16 hours ago, kirashi said:

What field are you aiming for right now?

Ideally something to do with computer graphics or point cloud processing since that's what I'm specializing in - but I'll take anything that looks interesting.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/11/2017 at 7:48 AM, kirashi said:

Not to bash anyone's school decisions, but I too am finding in the world of technology degrees are kind of useless, not because of the cost or the way they're taught, but because tech changes faster than they can create courses to teach it.

I can promise you the majority of the people making those "fast changes" happen got formal education at least till the college degree level, if not higher (as just one example, she's not called Dr. Su for no reason :P).