How did Linus become Linus?

DarshanDash

Hi everyone,

As the title says what field did linus do when he was in college/university ? The reason why im asking is because he seems so experienced in almost anything thats related to computers like literally look at him elaborating and yapping on about the processers , video card and rams clock speed , specification its like he knows the detailed informations of all computer components.

Which leads me to another subject he opened Linus Media/Linus Groups/LTT(Im struggling to find out how he formed this huge company).

In all other words Linus is sort of like a role model and father figure to me (IT father figure) i basically learnt about everything regarding computers from him as far as i can remember because he elaborates everything in a way you definitely would understand even if you were a noob.(So did Luke and Techquickie)

My questions seems a lot and jumping off a lot im sorry lol..But seriously i wanna learn from him and how he started this company and how he got into computers.Im struggling to figure a career path myself but im for sure saken into the IT industry.

He didn't go to uni. He actually spoke about this a bit in the most recent WAN show when discussing NCIX's closure, i'll try and find it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

He didn't go to uni. He actually spoke about this a bit in the most recent WAN show when discussing NCIX's closure, i'll try and find it.

Wow i'd like to try that path lol...(No joke) he seems like he knows what his doing and i respect that 

Mentions his education from there, and also conveniently goes straight into how he got the youtube channel and LTT xD 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

You may like this video too:

You need to have an incredibly strong passion to do what he does, and you need to be resilient to failure (You can't let that bring you down).

I edit my posts a lot.

Cause his parents named him LINUS although i have no idea what that means.

Afaik is that LINUS was working with NCIX before he finally make his own youtube channel and LMG when he no longer work with them.

And he did the right choice.

I mean look at him now.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

15 minutes ago, DarshanDash said:

Wow i'd like to try that path lol...(No joke) he seems like he knows what his doing and i respect that 

It's not like you actually need to go to college to learn things. Experience on the field is the king in many cases. Of course, if you want to be a biologist you cannot do that in any other way.

4 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Cause his parents named him LINUS although i have no idea what that means.

Afaik is that LINUS was working with NCIX before he finally make his own youtube channel and LMG when he no longer work with them.

And he did the right choice.

I mean look at him now.

Honestly at first when i first found out about Linus i literally thought someone spelled his name by mistake for Linus instead of Linux i then i had realised it after a few times.

Im gonna watch the videos you guys showed me and to be honest frankly honest i have passion for IT but going deep into the tiny bits like him seems really tough nevertheless he inspires me and motivates me as a influencer.

So wherever you are Linus thank you for teaching me computers and giving me great advice.

The tech world isn't something you learn in school.

In school you're taught by someone who read it in a book.

Learning first hand, which I'm sure Linus has, is the best way.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

I think Linus wasn't born a Linus... he was an average Joe... no knowledge about technology at all...

Then the particle collider at Starlabs had a malfunction... the Flash was born... and the same day an Average Joe got, due the force of the dark matter, transformed into Linus.

That's the whole secret.

*nods knowingly*

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

45 minutes ago, DarshanDash said:

college/university

Lelz, Linus just happened to wander into an ncix one day and demand the use of their testing hardware 

the rest is history

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

42 minutes ago, DarshanDash said:

Honestly he's more of an example in how to run a business than in being a tech professional - he knows enough to read a press briefing about a product and digest it for the audience, but his skills don't go too far beyond being able to assemble a computer and set up a network. You won't make any money with that sort of skill unless you can turn it into a massively successful youtube channel. I can assure you many members on this very forum could do the technical side of what linus does easily (myself included). Running an entertainment company is a very different beast.

24 minutes ago, ttam said:

The tech world isn't something you learn in school.

In school you're taught by someone who read it in a book.

Learning first hand, which I'm sure Linus has, is the best way.

You're confusing the "tech world" with "consumer electronics". In university, professors didn't just "read it in a book" unless your university is really bad - and they won't be teaching you which graphics card is the best bang for the buck because, in a working environment, that knowledge is irrelevant and will be outdated in a matter of months. Keeping up with gpus is something you do as a hobby, not a marketable skill. An engineering course will teach you things you can't learn first hand on the field without adequate preparation, and offer some practical exercise.

38 minutes ago, DarshanDash said:

I have passion for IT but going deep into the tiny bits like him seems really tough

What you see in his videos is really just scratching the surface. If you are really interested in the field I suggest you get a degree in software/electronics engineering or computer science.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

i agree with the last guy, there are channels on youtube from guys with much more IT knowledge than Linus, but fewer viewers. Linus is good at business and more important than that is a good communicator. Another dude could explain in a video what hyperthreading is, but probably no one could communicate it so simply. 

20 minutes ago, Sauron said:

You're confusing the "tech world" with "consumer electronics". In university, professors didn't just "read it in a book" unless your university is really bad - and they won't be teaching you which graphics card is the best bang for the buck because, in a working environment, that knowledge is irrelevant and will be outdated in a matter of months. Keeping up with gpus is something you do as a hobby, not a marketable skill. An engineering course will teach you things you can't learn first hand on the field without adequate preparation, and offer some practical exercise.

Nope, very wrong.

-Source: Went to the prestigious university, took the engineering courses.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

1 hour ago, DarshanDash said:

Which leads me to another subject he opened Linus Media/Linus Groups/LTT(Im struggling to find out how he formed this huge company).

The WAN show is your answer

I time stamped it for you

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, ttam said:

Nope, very wrong.

Then I'm afraid you wasted your money if your takeaway was that professors only regurgitate books and that you could have learned what you know better on the field.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

The WAN show is your answer

I time stamped it for you

Yeah i watched it i'm just uneased that how well he grew the company and made into something one of a kind i mean i dont think something like that could be even possible over in my country due to lack of resources.

All i want to do now is probably just keep creating and if i get the chance get into IT and really produce something rare but useful.Btw he mentions 19 members in LTT is that true? It seems quite a lot compared back in the day.

Just now, DarshanDash said:

All i want to do now is probably just keep creating and if i get the chance get into IT and really produce something rare but useful.Btw he mentions 19 members in LTT is that true? It seems quite a lot compared back in the day.

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/history/

If you want to be a tech reviewer, you don't need to have an IT degree. I'm not saying that an IT degree is useless as big corporations prefer IT guys with an IT degree but then, if you want something as Linus Tech Tips you need to do it differently. Here's a tip. While it's nice to admire people like Linus and others, you don't have to follow their footsteps in order to succeed. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

The reason why im asking is because he seems so experienced in almost anything thats related to computers like literally look at him elaborating and yapping on about the processers , video card and rams clock speed , specification its like he knows the detailed informations of all computer components.

Linus has very little knowledge about computers. He knows stuff you can find on the back of a box, the things mentioned in the reviewers guide, and that's about it.

Quite often these days he just reads off a teleprompter some text another person has written for him.

Linus is many things. It seems like he can run his company well, and his viewers likes him so he has a good stage personality. Knowledge about computers is not at all his strong point though... Just like McDonald's strong point isn't making good food. 

My questions seems a lot and jumping off a lot im sorry lol..But seriously i wanna learn from him and how he started this company and how he got into computers.Im struggling to figure a career path myself but im for sure saken into the IT industry.

How old are you and what are you doing right now (studying/work wise)?

It's hard to recommend something without knowing that.

18 minutes ago, ttam said:

Nope, very wrong.

If you actually have a degree in some type of engineering and ended up working in a computer repair shop, then you made some bad choices which I don't think you can blame on your education...

39 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Linus has very little knowledge about computers. He knows stuff you can find on the back of a box, the things mentioned in the reviewers guide, and that's about it.

Quite often these days he just reads off a teleprompter some text another person has written for him.

Linus is many things. It seems like he can run his company well, and his viewers likes him so he has a good stage personality. Knowledge about computers is not at all his strong point though... Just like McDonald's strong point isn't making good food. 

How old are you and what are you doing right now (studying/work wise)?

It's hard to recommend something without knowing that.

If you actually have a degree in some type of engineering and ended up working in a computer repair shop, then you made some bad choices which I don't think you can blame on your education...

I just finished high school like 1 week ago and now im pursuing a career in IT but i have a hard decision to make since i'm keen into filmmaking as well but i plan on doing that as a side project and mainly focus on IT.Thing is there a tons of fields in IT and i dont know which particular one suits me.

Also i wont instantly follow Linus's footsteps i just look at him as a role model as someone who has open the doors for me into gaining a broader knowledge about computers and i am still learning as i do like programming , functions of computer components etc.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:05 AM, ttam said:

Nope, very wrong.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:09 AM, Sauron said:

Then I'm afraid you wasted your money if your takeaway was that professors only regurgitate books and that you could have learned what you know better on the field.

Not to bash anyone's school decisions, but I too am finding in the world of technology degrees are kind of useless, not because of the cost or the way they're taught, but because tech changes faster than they can create courses to teach it. Sure, a lot of jobs still want to see degrees, but all the IT, sysadmin, and technical jobs where I live ask for minimum 2-3 years experience working in the field too, which is a catch22 situation since no one will give you a job so you can get the experience they ask for.

At the end of the day though, it's about the people you know, and the connections you make. One of my friends (er, maybe not anymore since the summer) got his 4 year BA majoring in Computer Science, specifically taking lots of Network and Security certifications, and he had a hard time finding a job that paid well, since all the higher paying jobs wanted a shitload of experience. The best part? I know as much as he does about general computing and troubleshooting, and I have zero post secondary education.

Now, when it comes to configuring proprietary CISCO hardware or Exchange / AD servers, he's miles ahead, but I was surprised to learn that much of what they were taught in university was stuff you could Google while on the job, assuming your learning style is hands-on. I've found that no matter how much you know about IT, there's always going to be some poorly designed proprietary system in every company that confuses end users and makes IT helpdesk staff want to stab the developers of said system for failing to consult with the UI/UX design department, probably because manglement decided there wasn't enough budget to do it properly the first time, and there's no amount of schooling that will prepare you for that. Ever.

Unless you're https://www.reddit.com/user/tuxedo_jack , in which case you carry a flask with you at all times and use it to "fix computers" when the boss isn't looking.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

7 hours ago, kirashi said:

not because of the cost or the way they're taught, but because tech changes faster than they can create courses to teach it.

This is extremely wrong.

Sure new programs and such might come out, but what you should learn in school (and what you will learn) are the basics and fundamentals of how things work.

If you're learning programming then you should learn C which is 49 years old and still used today. On top of the language being used today, a lot of the concepts it introduced are also the foundation for newer programming languages. The way you think when programming is also very applicable to any language you might pick up.

Routers have worked more or less the same since IP was standardized in 1980. Sure there are new things such as updates to the routing protocols but the fundamentals are still the same. It's just new ways of doing the same basic things.

Domain admin? When was the last time AD had a major reworking? Like 2003 or something?

I think a lot of users on this forum have a very flawed view of technology because Linus only focuses on consumer electronics, and only the very most user-facing aspects of it.

The best part? I know as much as he does about general computing and troubleshooting, and I have zero post secondary education.

That's because he didn't study general computing and troubleshooting.

Someone who works at a gas station might know how to change the break lights on a VW Golf better than the people who engineered the engine. Does that mean the engineers wasted their education? No.

Now, when it comes to configuring proprietary CISCO hardware or Exchange / AD servers, he's miles ahead, but I was surprised to learn that much of what they were taught in university was stuff you could Google while on the job, assuming your learning style is hands-on.

Well I can tell that you have no education or experience in this field, because you can't just "google" things without understanding what to search for or how to change things to suit what you are working on.

You can Google how to use a function, but you can't Google your way to how to integrate it and use it efficiently in your program.

You can google your way to some basic example config for a router, but if you don't understand how things work then you won't know what you need to do to adapt it to your environment, nor will you know if you are misjudging something or leaving something out.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:38 AM, DarshanDash said:

Hi everyone,

As the title says what field did linus do when he was in college/university ? The reason why im asking is because he seems so experienced in almost anything thats related to computers like literally look at him elaborating and yapping on about the processers , video card and rams clock speed , specification its like he knows the detailed informations of all computer components.

Here's my take and yes, I understand that you might dismiss this as just a useless hater but I'm getting to a point here: He is really not that knowledgeable, not even about hardware.

Don't get me wrong his interest and background was enough for him to talk to consumers about buying computer hardware products and if you're not very familiar or don't follow closely for a long time you might think what he knows is intimidating and vast. But he really isn't all that knowledgeable: Knowing how to optimize and troubleshoot computer builds it's actually considered kind of grunt work in the IT world.

There's a veeeery significant side to hardware on engineers that actually know what the chips does beyond "Goes things perform better since this magical IPC is increased and this test or 1 to 1 comparison confirms it" Like the people who actually design the hardware chips know a hell of a lot more about it.

Then there's other sides like Networking or Software. And again Linus is just basically an amateur/intern on those areas as well when it comes to knowing how to configure and optimize a network or how to actually program efficient code that's optimized for difficult tasks. You've seen him call on experts when working on his NAS or server storage things, you've seen him not touch any of the coding requirements that Floatplane now needs (which in fact while complex, are probably very high level programming at least for the time being unless Luke plans on something crazy like developing their own video codec) and so on.

The IT world is basically a black hole of specialization and even guys that to us seem like gurus are basically at best IT consultants that are familiar enough in general terms to manage and implement projects but true experts? Few and far in between.

That's what you should consider higher education: If you want a bit of a short cut or easier part in becoming a very specialized expert in a certain IT field that's the best way to do it. If you just want to work on IT you could just get your foot in the door with very trivial skills like basic programming, some hardware knowledge, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------