Network connection doubts please help

Go to solution Solved by scottyseng,

Well, you want a good standalone router, the Ubiquiti USG or Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite works. You can pair it with a ubiquiti access point (Like the AC-Lite or AC-Pro) and limit the bandwidth to the wireless that way.

Have fun with upgrading the network though. I just finished upgrading my own (Ran CAT6 wires) and changed from the Verizon router to a Ubiquiti USG Pro-4.

Hey everyone.

I have a serious doubt.

I recently renovated my house and so also wanted to redo my home's networking connections. Earlier it was a pretty basic one and I used a DLink Wireless router to do everything.

Now my needs have grown,

I connected the line to my modem and from modem the connections usually go to a router and then to a switch. BUT the problem is I am unable to find a standalone router with gigabit speed. Then I saw the Ghetto Networking wall video at LTT YT. In the video Luke has connected modem to a wireless router and then to switch. I am a wired guy and basically I want all my devices to work off ethernet for faster speed and I would like to use WIFI only for 1 cellphone (others have 4G). 

My doubt here was will connecting modem to a wireless router and the connecting it to switch will give more bandwidth to WIFI? because WIFI is basically useless for me I DON'T need wifi but I need good ethernet speeds.

P.S.-- sorry for my bad English

- Moved to Networking -

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

We switched to a Ubiquity Networks EdgeRouterX and then configured the wireless router as an access-point. It works out really great so far, never had to restart any network device, yet (in the old configuration I had to restart the wireless router every week bc it couldn't keep up).

Well, you want a good standalone router, the Ubiquiti USG or Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite works. You can pair it with a ubiquiti access point (Like the AC-Lite or AC-Pro) and limit the bandwidth to the wireless that way.

Have fun with upgrading the network though. I just finished upgrading my own (Ran CAT6 wires) and changed from the Verizon router to a Ubiquiti USG Pro-4.

23 hours ago, Totalschaden1997 said:

We switched to a Ubiquity Networks EdgeRouterX and then configured the wireless router as an access-point. It works out really great so far, never had to restart any network device, yet (in the old configuration I had to restart the wireless router every week bc it couldn't keep up).

Thanks man, help much appreciated.

23 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Thanks a lot, help appreciated