144htz 1080p/sacrifice freesync?

killsign

So my builds just about done and I'm stuck with a new "problem". I now own a 1080p curved 27 inch with 144htz and freesync. My current graphics card is an rx580(not a miner) and it dosnt really handle my graphical needs. On top of that AMD has a big issue with crashing on overwatch, and with flickering when using freesync in wow,so red teams kinda pissing me off a bit. I mainly play wow and overwatch but do play new AAA titles as they come. So I have a few questions: 

1.will it be worth waiting to find a vega 56 to get to that 144htz? Or is it better to sacrifice freesync and get a 1070 ti or 1080?

2. would a blower card be ok if I'm watercooling my cpu(i5 8600k) with a kraken x62?

3.should I lower/lock my screen refresh rate if im not going above 144fps? 

*shits all over a 580*

*proceeds to ask if he should by into Vega*

Dude. Come on. Vega is shit. Even if it was only $500. But it's not.

I'd sacrifice Freesync, or keep the 580. I doubt it's the card's fault.

Meh. Blower cards are almost always cheaply built. I'd try and avoid them unless it's a great deal.

Nah.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Small AiO are not worth it over good air coolers, this one in particularly is meh...

Vega cards hardly are worth it specially for high refresh rate... I would recommend still getting a nVidia card because at 144hz I doubt you'll miss FreeSync.

Get the i7 8700 instead, you can cheap up with a 212 Evo on a cheaper motherboard since you won't overclock VRMs and all won't matter and the locked i7 8700 will outperform the i5 8600k at 5ghz either ways considering this might end up the same pricing it is a better route.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

36 minutes ago, killsign said:

On top of that AMD has a big issue with crashing on overwatch, and with flickering when using freesync in wow,

Downgrade your driver and dont use the 17.7.2 version.

As for flickering i dont really know about it whether its true or not.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

46 minutes ago, killsign said:

So my builds just about done and I'm stuck with a new "problem". I now own a 1080p curved 27 inch with 144htz and freesync. My current graphics card is an rx580(not a miner) and it dosnt really handle my graphical needs. On top of that AMD has a big issue with crashing on overwatch, and with flickering when using freesync in wow,so red teams kinda pissing me off a bit. I mainly play wow and overwatch but do play new AAA titles as they come. So I have a few questions: 

1.will it be worth waiting to find a vega 56 to get to that 144htz? Or is it better to sacrifice freesync and get a 1070 ti or 1080?

2. would a blower card be ok if I'm watercooling my cpu(i5 8600k) with a kraken x62?

The overwatch issues is a driver problem. I found a couple threads a few months back about which driver to use (along with disabling ReLive).

Not sure your issue, but my stock R9 390 pushes 90-120fps in everything I play. 

45 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

*shits all over a 580*

*proceeds to ask if he should by into Vega*

Dude. Come on. Vega is shit. Even if it was only $500. But it's not.

I'd sacrifice Freesync, or keep the 580. I doubt it's the card's fault.

Meh. Blower cards are almost always cheaply built. I'd try and avoid them unless it's a great deal.

Nah.

Haha just not a big fan of Intel but amd is trash now that I have tried it lol just looking for hope in this bad investment.

1 minute ago, killsign said:

Haha just not a big fan of Intel but amd is trash now that I have tried it lol just looking for hope in this bad investment.

How are they trash now? I find AMD has much better price/performance than Intel right now.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

46 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Small AiO are not worth it over good air coolers, this one in particularly is meh...

Vega cards hardly are worth it specially for high refresh rate... I would recommend still getting a nVidia card because at 144hz I doubt you'll miss FreeSync.

Get the i7 8700 instead, you can cheap up with a 212 Evo on a cheaper motherboard since you won't overclock VRMs and all won't matter and the locked i7 8700 will outperform the i5 8600k at 5ghz either ways considering this might end up the same pricing it is a better route.

I originally was doing an air cooled i7 8700 with an h7. Ahem,and then this forum told me it would be better to go i5 8600k and of and it would not be worth it or reach high overclock without a really good aio or noctua. Noctua was too big for my liking and is ugly as hell.

16 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Downgrade your driver and dont use the 17.7.2 version.

As for flickering i dont really know about it whether its true or not.

Tried that didnt fix it they say its probably the windows 10 fall update or something noe on top of the driver issues

10 minutes ago, Kc7vwc said:

The overwatch issues is a driver problem. I found a couple threads a few months back about which driver to use (along with disabling ReLive).

Not sure your issue, but my stock R9 390 pushes 90-120fps in everything I play. 

Yeah I tried that but no luck :( my gtx 1060 worled fine,previously so not sure what happened.

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How are they trash now? I find AMD has much better price/performance than Intel right now.

In regards to what I have experienced it's been a very bad experiemce.

Just now, killsign said:

Tried that didnt fix it they say its probably the windows 10 fall update or something noe on top of the driver issues

So its just a software bugs?

Dont worry they will fix it i am sure its AMD after all.

Dont be mad at certain products because of small issues like this.

What if u were me? when nvidia said the Vram on my 970 is 4GB but its actually 3.5GB what would u do? lel

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

What if u were me? when nvidia said the Vram on my 970 is 4GB but its actually 3.5GB what would u do? lel

Its a big issue for,me,becouse overwatch is my main game so it hits real hard especially when this issue has been going on since like July apparently.

12 minutes ago, killsign said:

I originally was doing an air cooled i7 8700 with an h7. Ahem,and then this forum told me it would be better to go i5 8600k and of and it would not be worth it or reach high overclock without a really good aio or noctua. Noctua was too big for my liking and is ugly as hell.

Whoever told you to go with an i5 8600k instead is a moron, this CPU is better avoided ever since the i7 6700 vs i5 6600k.

There simply is no more denying, Hyper-Threading helps more than the frequency increase and mind you Coffee Lake locked and unlocked i7 is the closest in Frequency ever, they are already pretty identical at stock settings.

Thing people failed to understand is that alright games "4 cores" rule, but simply stop to think a little if games can fully utilize 4 cores now what about the entire rest of the running system? side programs, services, windows stuff... thus why the minimums on the i7 are way better, even the Ryzen 5 1600 walked over the i5 6600k in minimums.

The i7 8700 locked is the best performing CPU by every mean you gonna save load of money since you can pick the cheapest z370 board it doesn't matter VRMs etc this is a 65w TDP processor only, the z chipset still is nice for memory overclocking  and then you literally can just throw an hyper 212 evo because intel stock cooler sucks and be done with it, it locked yah but it will outperform the i5 8600k at 5.1ghz either ways so who the heck cares, and you get extra multi-tasking which is awesome.

If people talk about i7 8700 vs i7 8700k there is no need to overclock it one bit in fact overclocking it to 5ghz often hurts gaming performance outside 1080p.

Mind how the turbo clocks are identical to the locked and unlocked i7 so we can see the stock i7 8700k with the same performance of the i7 8700 and get the idea of how meaningless it will be at 1440p and 4k(already set the time):

Also do not buy a GTX 1080, the 1070 Ti is the same thing but cheaper:

If you want more power and better way to justify having the fastest and bests consumer CPU in the market the GTX 1080 Ti shouldn't be out of the question... some people say you should not pair the i7 with any thing less and they say it right as the i5 8400 has proven to be appropriated for the 1070 Ti ~ 1080 and obviously the Vega cards.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

It IS 4Gb. Just .5gb of it is slower. In another light, it's brilliant what Nvidia did with the memory controller on that GPU, letting you actually use it instead of cutting it out. 

Back on topic, I changed my AMD driver & my overwatch runs flawlessly now. Think it's 17.1.1.1 that works right.

Just now, Kc7vwc said:

It IS 4Gb. Just .5gb of it is slower. In another light, it's brilliant what Nvidia did with the memory controller on that GPU, letting you actually use it instead of cutting it out. 

Back on topic, I changed my AMD driver & my overwatch runs flawlessly now. Think it's 17.1.1.1 that works right.

I know but the 500MB is just too slow similar to Intel HD when they are using our RAM.

If i max out my 3.5GB i will notice an fps drop right of the bat.

So even though the 500MB use slower memory bandwidth its still useless.

970 is wired like a frankenstein and i am too late for a refunds that time.

So no crash whatsoever? @killsign

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

1 hour ago, killsign said:

Freesync/144hz/amd cpu/vid card combos only works if you can get it working in crossfire.

Short answer, sac the free sync.

I'm personally waiting for Ampere and going for Gsync, stuck on 60hz for now.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

1 hour ago, killsign said:

1. You have Freesync now. Turn it OFF, and play again. Can YOU sacrafice it? YOU are the only person in this Thread, who can answer this Question.

Because if you ask me personally: Freesync / G-Sync > Everything. Literaly everything. This is the reason, my Games are smooth. Without it, e ven with 144 Hz, my games can NOT be smooth. There will always be a few small tearings, or stutterings or whatever. Even the slightest little bit, that would bother me. G-Sync on, and perfectly smooth.

Now back to you: Turn it off, and see for yourself.

But i can tell you: Having Variable Refresh Rate gives you much smoother feel, than 10-20% higher fps.

2. Has nothing much to do with it. Reference Vega is Garbage +1. Period. Doesn't matter if you have a small Air cooler on your CPU, an AiO Kraken, or a 500€ high end custom loop. Reference is still garbage, and will be really loud.

If you want Vega, wait for Customs. I would never recommend a reference to anyone, no matter what. Except someone wants to replace the shitty Cooler with something good ^^"

In short: No matter what CPU Cooler you have, Vega Reference WILL be loud.

3. No. Never. Even if you only get 80-100 fps, you benefit from 144 Hz. Faster refreshes, lower input Lag etc. 

However, if your fps is lower than 144, but you DO have freesync active (no stuttering / tearing, but fluctuating frametimes), it's valid to use riva tuner statistics server to limit your fps. lets say to 90, so you have always perfectly consistent 90 fps, instead of fps jumping between 95-130 up and down.

Having Freesync makes it completely unneeded to lower your Refresh rate. It lowers itself, that's what Freesync does.

53 minutes ago, killsign said:

I have to 2nd this, whoever told u it's better to go with a 8600k over 8700/k either doesn't own a 8600k or is in denial after getting one, an overwhelming majority get the 8700k (check stock/reviews), most review sites wasn't even gonna do a review on it.  Alot of the gaming performance shows 8600k behaving like a 7700k, so it isn't worth the price tag. BUT the 8600k does run cooler so it should be easier to handle than the h7, and you are guarantee higher base clock than the 8700.

I saved 240dollars when i got my 8600k on sale over the 8700k (delidded binned on SL), and i still feel like i shouldnt have gone with the 8600k. (I did an 8700k build right after). 

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 hours ago, killsign said:

if you can sell it soon invest in a nvidia card, a 1070ti or 1080 [whichever one is cheaper go 4 it they are almost eerily similar with a "few cores less"]... 

right now amd's lack of 3rd party card offerings is reaffirming my nervous decision on getting a 1080ti a no brainer despite the higher price tag i am super thrilled with its quality and feel no regret. its a 1440p and 4k contender in two sides without a doubt even on a single card no much compromise.

*freesync/gsync only helps u the most personally when you are experiencing massive dips in fps consistently by a large amount [90 to 30 to 50 to 20 to 70 etc] [changing graphical environments day & night] which can cause lag/tear/stuttering. if most of your games stay put at a consistent frame rate you might not be even able to see the "tear" as what most would say.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

40 minutes ago, xsimplyjosh said:

if you can sell it soon invest in a nvidia card, a 1070ti or 1080 [whichever one is cheaper go 4 it they are almost eerily similar with a "few cores less"]... 

right now amd's lack of 3rd party card offerings is reaffirming my nervous decision on getting a 1080ti a no brainer despite the higher price tag i am super thrilled with its quality and feel no regret. its a 1440p and 4k contender in two sides without a doubt even on a single card no much compromise.

*freesync/gsync only helps u the most personally when you are experiencing massive dips in fps consistently by a large amount [90 to 30 to 50 to 20 to 70 etc] [changing graphical environments day & night] which can cause lag/tear/stuttering. if most of your games stay put at a consistent frame rate you might not be even able to see the "tear" as what most would say.

so the only real worth while jump is for a 1080 or 1070 ti? what cards would you recommend I dont really want to spend like 500 on a gpu 450 would be like top.

2 hours ago, Hiya! said:

I know but the 500MB is just too slow similar to Intel HD when they are using our RAM.

If i max out my 3.5GB i will notice an fps drop right of the bat.

So even though the 500MB use slower memory bandwidth its still useless.

970 is wired like a frankenstein and i am too late for a refunds that time.

So no crash whatsoever? @killsign

no always crashes or completely freezes my pc tried everything...

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Whoever told you to go with an i5 8600k instead is a moron, this CPU is better avoided ever since the i7 6700 vs i5 6600k.

There simply is no more denying, Hyper-Threading helps more than the frequency increase and mind you Coffee Lake locked and unlocked i7 is the closest in Frequency ever, they are already pretty identical at stock settings.

Thing people failed to understand is that alright games "4 cores" rule, but simply stop to think a little if games can fully utilize 4 cores now what about the entire rest of the running system? side programs, services, windows stuff... thus why the minimums on the i7 are way better, even the Ryzen 5 1600 walked over the i5 6600k in minimums.

The i7 8700 locked is the best performing CPU by every mean you gonna save load of money since you can pick the cheapest z370 board it doesn't matter VRMs etc this is a 65w TDP processor only, the z chipset still is nice for memory overclocking  and then you literally can just throw an hyper 212 evo because intel stock cooler sucks and be done with it, it locked yah but it will outperform the i5 8600k at 5.1ghz either ways so who the heck cares, and you get extra multi-tasking which is awesome.

If people talk about i7 8700 vs i7 8700k there is no need to overclock it one bit in fact overclocking it to 5ghz often hurts gaming performance outside 1080p.

Mind how the turbo clocks are identical to the locked and unlocked i7 so we can see the stock i7 8700k with the same performance of the i7 8700 and get the idea of how meaningless it will be at 1440p and 4k(already set the time):

Also do not buy a GTX 1080, the 1070 Ti is the same thing but cheaper:

If you want more power and better way to justify having the fastest and bests consumer CPU in the market the GTX 1080 Ti shouldn't be out of the question... some people say you should not pair the i7 with any thing less and they say it right as the i5 8400 has proven to be appropriated for the 1070 Ti ~ 1080 and obviously the Vega cards.

I can still return the chip and try to find a non k i7 8700 but its going to delay my build even more :( is it really that much better? I figured id eventually get the i7 8700k but would rather put that money towards a better gpu

Good point.

However: You will upgrade your GPU anyway in a few Years. 

I have a really good example. Go back to january 2011, when Sandy bridge launched.

- Having an i5 2400 or i5 2500k OC didn't changed fps at all~. So many people said "save the money, buy a better GPU"

- Going for an i7 2600k instead i5 2500k didn't changed fps at all~. So many people said "save the money, buy a better GPU".

What do we have today? Even 2 years ago, Digitalfoundry released a Video about the old i5 2500k (combined with a GTX 970. Midrange today). Overclocking it instead stock clocks, increased fps by like 20-40% in extreme scenarios (not just average fps, mostly min-fps).

Using fast 2133 Mhz DR3 Memory, instead of the usual 1333-1600 Mhz gave it another 10-15% higher fps.

And we're talking about Ultra settings in 1080p :P

And going to an i7 with Hyperthreading. Back then, it didn't do much. Now, with modern games and much more strong / modern Graphic cards, The old i7 2600k beats an i5 2500k in almost any modern game. Where the old i5 can not even hold 60 fps, the i7 sits at 70+ in many games.

Didn't do anything back then, but now several years later.. It payed off buying a stronger CPU for <100 bucks more.

Tbh, now, 7 years later... Does it matter at all, if you bought a GTX 570 back then, or a GTX 580? Not really, right?

However.. i5 8600k is fine for a good while. Because finally, the core count got up to 6.

But still, if you consider the next 6-7 years, future games, and future GPUs...

I would bet anything into that: i7 8700 non OC Platform will outperform an i5 8600k OC Platform in the long run. Because Hyperthreading > OC.

Same case with the Quad Cores of Skylake / Kaby Lake. i7 7700 > i5 7600K OC.

Don't forget, your CPU will stay for 5-8 years~. Your GPU will be replaced everfy 2-4 years.

Your CPU won't just have to handle the GPU today, but the 2-3 next ones too.

20 hours ago, killsign said:

I can still return the chip and try to find a non k i7 8700 but its going to delay my build even more :( is it really that much better? I figured id eventually get the i7 8700k but would rather put that money towards a better gpu

I saved 260dollars on a 8600k on sale vs a binned 8700k. I'm now just waiting for a delidded 8700k for 400dollars next year. If you are on a budget, it's best to go with 8700, get a cheaper motherboard, heatsink, ram, psu (u can probably save 200dollars just by not overclocking) and put it toward a video card. There's actually no build i can recommend a 8600k in atm, it's either a budget r5 1600, budget 8700, or all-out 8700k. 8600k is in a weird spot.

Edit: Zen 2 is in around 3 months, imagine if amd is somehow bump the clocks up to 4.4ghz. What good is a 6thread 8600k.