Jump to content
TheGlenlivet

Push/Pull question

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

OK, here's an easy one (I bet).  If you put fans in Push/pull on a radiator, do you want both the push and pull fans to be static pressure?  Obviously the push should be, but the pull?  Has anyone done any research on this i wonder?

Commence Operation Vacu-suck!

Image result for operation vacusuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

OK, here's an easy one (I bet).  If you put fans in Push/pull on a radiator, do you want both the push and pull fans to be static pressure?  Obviously the push should be, but the pull?  Has anyone done any research on this i wonder?

Commence Operation Vacu-suck!

Ideally they should be the same model of fan running at the same speed together as different fans in stacked together in certain cases can cause excessive noise or turbulence from different speeds and parameters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, W-L said:

Ideally they should be the same model of fan running at the same speed together as different fans in stacked together in certain cases can cause excessive noise or turbulence from different speeds and parameters. 

So then identical static pressure fans at the same RPM are the best option?  Kinda boring, but logical.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

OK, here's an easy one (I bet).  If you put fans in Push/pull on a radiator, do you want both the push and pull fans to be static pressure?  Obviously the push should be, but the pull?  Has anyone done any research on this i wonder?

Commence Operation Vacu-suck!

 

I see where your getting your idea from but as stated above it could cause serious turbulence issues meaning your cooling efficiency would probably go down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2017 at 2:46 PM, TheGlenlivet said:

So then identical static pressure fans at the same RPM are the best option?  Kinda boring, but logical.  Thanks.

Yep. If you want more interesting, you can use a more open cooler like a heatsink instead of a rad where having a higher airflow and lower static pressure fan after the first can be better. That's what I'm currently doing on my NH-U12S with a NF-F12 for push and NF-S12A for exhaust.


If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yep. If you want more interesting, you can use a more open cooler like a heatsink instead of a rad where having a higher airflow and lower static pressure fan after the first can be better. That's what I'm current;y doing on my NH-U12S with a NF-F12 for push and NF-S12A for exhaust.

No, I got ya.  My current rig has a d15 on it.  Just looking down the road at a 1950X build with a customer loop and putting a parts list together.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, W-L said:

Ideally they should be the same model of fan running at the same speed together as different fans in stacked together in certain cases can cause excessive noise or turbulence from different speeds and parameters. 

My question is similar to the OP. Assuming you found an air flow fan that had similar rpms and didn't cause an unacceptable level of turbulence/noise, would AF fans on the pull side result in more airflow inside the case? The reason I ask is that I have a Kraken X62 mounted in the front (top's not a n option) as intake with SP fans in push/pull. I have temps at an an acceptable level but I wouldn't mind a little more flow to the GPU so I could back off the fans on the card some. I have quite a bit of thermal headroom on the CPU so I'd be willing to sacrifice some heat there to bring the GPU down some.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Khory said:

My question is similar to the OP. Assuming you found an air flow fan that had similar rpms and didn't cause an unacceptable level of turbulence/noise, would AF fans on the pull side result in more airflow inside the case? The reason I ask is that I have a Kraken X62 mounted in the front (top's not a n option) as intake with SP fans in push/pull. I have temps at an an acceptable level but I wouldn't mind a little more flow to the GPU so I could back off the fans on the card some. I have quite a bit of thermal headroom on the CPU so I'd be willing to sacrifice some heat there to bring the GPU down some.

Only way to find out really is is test and see if the combination of fans, speeds and such cause turbulent noise. Push/pull setups can be useful if your trying to get around the issue with restriction due to the rad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×