case fans vs static pressure fans

for my radiator i have some old case fans from an nzxt h440 and i plan on swapping them out for https://www.inet.se/produkt/5320057/corsair-hd120-rgb-led-3-pack-inkl-kontroller these. will there be a noticeable difference in noise and temps? or am i spending 70 bucks for fancy rgb fans?

Watches and computers                    

6 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

for my radiator i have some old case fans from an nzxt h440 and i plan on swapping them out for https://www.inet.se/produkt/5320057/corsair-hd120-rgb-led-3-pack-inkl-kontroller these. will there be a noticeable difference in noise and temps? or am i spending 70 bucks for fancy rgb fans?

Static pressure fans are optimized for pushing air threw constricted spaces such as the fins of a heatsink or radiator. Case fans are more optimized for pushing higher volumes of air from my understanding. It's basically pressure of air vs. volume of air.

You'll notice a difference between the two when mounted on heatsinks and radiators. Assuming you don't get deltas, noise should be relatively similar between the two. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Static pressure fans are optimized for pushing air threw constricted spaces such as the fins of a heatsink or radiator. Case fans are more optimized for pushing higher volumes of air from my understanding. It's basically pressure of air vs. volume of air.

You'll notice a difference between the two when mounted on heatsinks and radiators. Assuming you don't get deltas, noise should be relatively similar between the two. 

okay, then maybe i should invest in a couple of fans just to have it optimized. the fans i have now doesn't really get the air through the radiator. at least it feels like that.

Watches and computers                    

The question is what solution is this? A cheap AIO? Then even with the best SP based fans you might notice maybe a 1 degree difference? Those rad's aren't every optimized. Or is this a custom water cooling loop with a decent 360 rad? In that case swapping out some cheap fans for some nice SP based ones could get you a few extra degrees. Now, that said, in the long run will that make a huge difference? What are your current temps? If after an hour of heavy gaming your only at say 65 or 70 C, then new fans might get you down to, at most, 60 to 65 C? Worth it? I don't know. :) But, good SP based fans should certainly be quieter then your cheap ones at the same RPM.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

13 minutes ago, Whaler_99 said:

The question is what solution is this? A cheap AIO? Then even with the best SP based fans you might notice maybe a 1 degree difference? Those rad's aren't every optimized. Or is this a custom water cooling loop with a decent 360 rad? In that case swapping out some cheap fans for some nice SP based ones could get you a few extra degrees. Now, that said, in the long run will that make a huge difference? What are your current temps? If after an hour of heavy gaming your only at say 65 or 70 C, then new fans might get you down to, at most, 60 to 65 C? Worth it? I don't know. :) But, good SP based fans should certainly be quieter then your cheap ones at the same RPM.

its a custom loop with an EK360 radiator (cant remember the exact name). the system is overclocked so if i could get it down by a few degrees than that would be nice. Are the corsair rgb ones any good? or do you have any suggestions that would fit my black/white color scheme? :)

Watches and computers                    

You can see the difference in the fin orientation on high static pressure (HSP) vs high flow fans. HSP always have a shallower angle of attack and tighter fin placement; prevents air from flowing backwards through the fins. Verses the high-flow designs which feature a more aggressive fin angle and wider spacing... Almost like it's "throwing" air through the fan rather than "pressing" it like the HSP fans do.

I would presume HSP fans are higher in pitch than their high-flow counter-parts at the same RPM. The HSP fan "chops" the air more often, resulting in a higher frequency. All of my fans are SP120s from corsair. When it spins up to 100% (which happens when benching, and that's about it) it screams pretty good, but maintains good airflow through the thick rad, and piles of cat hair on my dust filter...

I typically use Noctua NF-F12's, they are about the best in terms of SP and noise. There is Noiseblocker ELoop fans which are really good, the corsair SP lines are pretty good as well. Looks at their stats and compare it to the new Corsair ones. I'm not sure if the new RGB ones are more focused on pressure or air flow...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

19 hours ago, Whaler_99 said:

I typically use Noctua NF-F12's, they are about the best in terms of SP and noise. There is Noiseblocker ELoop fans which are really good, the corsair SP lines are pretty good as well. Looks at their stats and compare it to the new Corsair ones. I'm not sure if the new RGB ones are more focused on pressure or air flow...

i went all-in and bought noctua nf-f12s chromax. hopefully they will do what i need :)

Watches and computers