Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smiles rising

case fans vs static pressure fans

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

for my radiator i have some old case fans from an nzxt h440 and i plan on swapping them out for https://www.inet.se/produkt/5320057/corsair-hd120-rgb-led-3-pack-inkl-kontroller these. will there be a noticeable difference in noise and temps? or am i spending 70 bucks for fancy rgb fans?


CPU: i7-6700k I GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X I RAM: 16GB RAM I MB: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON I SSD & HDD: 240GB KINGSTON SSD I TOSHIBA 2TB HDD I PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750W I

                                                                                                                       

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, smiles rising said:

for my radiator i have some old case fans from an nzxt h440 and i plan on swapping them out for https://www.inet.se/produkt/5320057/corsair-hd120-rgb-led-3-pack-inkl-kontroller these. will there be a noticeable difference in noise and temps? or am i spending 70 bucks for fancy rgb fans?

Static pressure fans are optimized for pushing air threw constricted spaces such as the fins of a heatsink or radiator. Case fans are more optimized for pushing higher volumes of air from my understanding. It's basically pressure of air vs. volume of air.

 

You'll notice a difference between the two when mounted on heatsinks and radiators. Assuming you don't get deltas, noise should be relatively similar between the two. 


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | Asus Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Mojave Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | 250GB WD SATA | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 7 Ultimate | Kali Linux

Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 (8.0) | iPad Mini (iOS 8.4) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Static pressure fans are optimized for pushing air threw constricted spaces such as the fins of a heatsink or radiator. Case fans are more optimized for pushing higher volumes of air from my understanding. It's basically pressure of air vs. volume of air.

 

You'll notice a difference between the two when mounted on heatsinks and radiators. Assuming you don't get deltas, noise should be relatively similar between the two. 

okay, then maybe i should invest in a couple of fans just to have it optimized. the fans i have now doesn't really get the air through the radiator. at least it feels like that.


CPU: i7-6700k I GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X I RAM: 16GB RAM I MB: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON I SSD & HDD: 240GB KINGSTON SSD I TOSHIBA 2TB HDD I PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750W I

                                                                                                                       

Link to post
Share on other sites

The question is what solution is this? A cheap AIO? Then even with the best SP based fans you might notice maybe a 1 degree difference? Those rad's aren't every optimized. Or is this a custom water cooling loop with a decent 360 rad? In that case swapping out some cheap fans for some nice SP based ones could get you a few extra degrees. Now, that said, in the long run will that make a huge difference? What are your current temps? If after an hour of heavy gaming your only at say 65 or 70 C, then new fans might get you down to, at most, 60 to 65 C? Worth it? I don't know. :) But, good SP based fans should certainly be quieter then your cheap ones at the same RPM.


Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
13 minutes ago, Whaler_99 said:

The question is what solution is this? A cheap AIO? Then even with the best SP based fans you might notice maybe a 1 degree difference? Those rad's aren't every optimized. Or is this a custom water cooling loop with a decent 360 rad? In that case swapping out some cheap fans for some nice SP based ones could get you a few extra degrees. Now, that said, in the long run will that make a huge difference? What are your current temps? If after an hour of heavy gaming your only at say 65 or 70 C, then new fans might get you down to, at most, 60 to 65 C? Worth it? I don't know. :) But, good SP based fans should certainly be quieter then your cheap ones at the same RPM.

its a custom loop with an EK360 radiator (cant remember the exact name). the system is overclocked so if i could get it down by a few degrees than that would be nice. Are the corsair rgb ones any good? or do you have any suggestions that would fit my black/white color scheme? :)


CPU: i7-6700k I GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X I RAM: 16GB RAM I MB: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON I SSD & HDD: 240GB KINGSTON SSD I TOSHIBA 2TB HDD I PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750W I

                                                                                                                       

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see the difference in the fin orientation on high static pressure (HSP) vs high flow fans. HSP always have a shallower angle of attack and tighter fin placement; prevents air from flowing backwards through the fins. Verses the high-flow designs which feature a more aggressive fin angle and wider spacing... Almost like it's "throwing" air through the fan rather than "pressing" it like the HSP fans do.

I would presume HSP fans are higher in pitch than their high-flow counter-parts at the same RPM. The HSP fan "chops" the air more often, resulting in a higher frequency. All of my fans are SP120s from corsair. When it spins up to 100% (which happens when benching, and that's about it) it screams pretty good, but maintains good airflow through the thick rad, and piles of cat hair on my dust filter...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I typically use Noctua NF-F12's, they are about the best in terms of SP and noise. There is Noiseblocker ELoop fans which are really good, the corsair SP lines are pretty good as well. Looks at their stats and compare it to the new Corsair ones. I'm not sure if the new RGB ones are more focused on pressure or air flow...


Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
19 hours ago, Whaler_99 said:

I typically use Noctua NF-F12's, they are about the best in terms of SP and noise. There is Noiseblocker ELoop fans which are really good, the corsair SP lines are pretty good as well. Looks at their stats and compare it to the new Corsair ones. I'm not sure if the new RGB ones are more focused on pressure or air flow...

i went all-in and bought noctua nf-f12s chromax. hopefully they will do what i need :)


CPU: i7-6700k I GPU: MSI GTX 1080 GAMING X I RAM: 16GB RAM I MB: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON I SSD & HDD: 240GB KINGSTON SSD I TOSHIBA 2TB HDD I PSU: EVGA G2 SUPERNOVA 750W I

                                                                                                                       

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×