Gaming in 4K - Upgrade or Buy New?

Thanks to NVIDIA for sponsoring this video!

So many options exist for 4K these days that it's tough to decide - And with 4K displays getting cheaper all the time, which should YOU choose?

Buy a GTX 1080 Ti:
On Amazon: http://geni.us/y7i59q
On Newegg: http://geni.us/0Dstl
Or directly from NVIDIA: http://geni.us/R0qv

Emily @ LINUS MEDIA GROUP                                  

congratulations on breaking absolutely zero stereotypes - @cs_deathmatch

NVIDIA SHILLS!!!!

/s lol someone had to

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

NVIDIA SHILLS!!!!

/s lol someone had to

And many more will. :D 

I'm gonna be here this time next year with a GTX 780 while literally everyone else is using 4K....

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Can't deny that my old R9 390X is roughly equal to an Xbox One X and it offers pretty good 60hz 'Normal' settings 4K gameplay in most games. (Or a HECK of a lot better in older games)

I'd like to see you try to make my system 4K ready.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Wait, I thought Jay was the only Nvidia shill I had to be skeptical of.... guess I was wrong xD

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Actually, what's the better option?

Keep your old platform and whack an insane gpu in it or upgrade both the platform and the gpu for a more balanced system?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I am assuming this was meant for the budget gamer with only a single GPU in their system. 4K for poor people YAY

Back in the day when X99/5960X was king I ponied up the cash and went the 4-way SLI route. Laugh all you want but I am so glad that I did.

Many of us just skim over benchmark numbers. But there is a surprise here if you look closely. Crank up on max 4K detail and it's almost linear the performance increase from a single 980Ti to four cards. And at that 4-way configuration it ran every game tested at 4K on max settings like a champ.

Yeah, these are two year old cards, and yeah, when you don't game you can mine/fold impressively with them, and yeah, having four cards in your rig still gives you bragging rights :D

Clearly in my case I have no need to upgrade my system for quite a while. But the take away here I think is that if you can grab a 4-way SLI mobo and have the right SLI bridge, putting four 980Ti's together WITH THE RIGHT DRIVER will enable you to rock a 4K display as good as any Pascal setup today. Don't fall for the marketing hype - SLI has plenty of muscle left in it if you know how to flex it :P:P:P

@Luscious - The article is from 2015, and unfortunately, both driver and developer support for SLI has been getting worse and worse since then. In fact, it's basically the reason why Linus lost Scrapyard Wars 6... It's something that's honestly probably worth revisiting in a future video.

Still gives you bragging rights, though :D 

#rx480FTW.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Actually, what's the better option?

Keep your old platform and whack an insane gpu in it or upgrade both the platform and the gpu for a more balanced system?

Well if you're gonna play at 4K it looks like the former works just fine.  What "balanced" is changes on the intended workload and context.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well if you're gonna play at 4K it looks like the former works just fine.  What "balanced" is changes on the intended workload and context.

That's the point i'm trying to make, it "looks like" just throwing in a 1080ti is the better option for 4K, but is it?

And to measure it, same settings and maybe more games, 4 is imo not enough.

It would be nice to see if there's some truth to this or older cpu's really need to be upgraded because they bottleneck just too hard.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, Cyracus said:

Wait, I thought Jay was the only Nvidia shill I had to be skeptical of.... guess I was wrong xD

You just need to be skeptical of Jay in general.

Just now, DoctorWho1975 said:

You just need to be skeptical of Jay in general.

Well, to his credit he does follow up content when things appear wonky, like with the 8700k review, multicore enhancement stuff, I know Linus made mention of it at some point, but Jay did a full breakdown of it, so he's pretty good in my books

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

17 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

That's the point i'm trying to make, it "looks like" just throwing in a 1080ti is the better option for 4K, but is it?

And to measure it, same settings and maybe more games, 4 is imo not enough.

It would be nice to see if there's some truth to this or older cpu's really need to be upgraded because they bottleneck just too hard.

I recall them doing some comparisons at least... here we go:

Capture.thumb.PNG.a7965579207e2e3e532d272e2f944c4a.PNGCapture2.thumb.PNG.6658b7a29862202fde47338fcd507657.PNG

So it looks like the 2500k is taking a hit in almost all titles, but only on Low settings, and even then it's not much considering the 4790k has higher clock speeds, 3 years of architectural improvements and HT behind it - Forza being the only exception in both cases.  Furthermore almost all the games still scored 60 or more at high settings (and the one that didn't wasn't helped by the i7 anyway), so it seems reasonable to me that someone might grab this card now, and then upgrade their platform later if it really is an issue, meanwhile still enjoying a very good experience.

Meh, I have a hard time trusting who is moronic enough to embed in brakes on the street and has stock factory seat belts while tracking a car like a 370.

18 minutes ago, GabenJr said:

@Luscious - The article is from 2015, and unfortunately, both driver and developer support for SLI has been getting worse and worse since then. In fact, it's basically the reason why Linus lost Scrapyard Wars 6... It's something that's honestly probably worth revisiting in a future video.

Still gives you bragging rights, though :D 

Good points, and that's exactly why I am still on 361.43 - runs every game I have, scales almost perfectly and doesn't affect folding performance like later nVidia drivers did. It's one of those few rare circumstances where a previous-era card works best with the previous-era driver.

Linus lost SW6 because Linus doesn't have any muscles to flex :P A Xeon is the STUPIDEST chip to pair with SLI!!! But SW is also the last way you would go to build a system - garbage parts haphazardly cobbled together running on less-than-optimal drivers/settings.

yeah... the 1080 Ti is decent enough.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So it looks like the 2500k is taking a hit in almost all titles, but only on Low settings, and even then it's not much considering the 4790k has higher clock speeds, 3 years of architectural improvements and HT behind it - Forza being the only exception in both cases.  Furthermore almost all the games still scored 60 or more at high settings (and the one that didn't wasn't helped by the i7 anyway), so it seems reasonable to me that someone might grab this card now, and then upgrade their platform later if it really is an issue, meanwhile still enjoying a very good experience.

Honestly, I've seen this problematic tone a lot on this forum and elsewhere speaking about 'System Balance' and often people being told to buy weaker GPUs.  Benchmark over benchmark shows that you still see GREAT performance on older or even current-but-less-than-top-tier with a new GPU tossed in.  I'm not going to dispute that you will see MORE frames with a brand new top of the line CPU but when you weight the difference in performance against the cost of a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM, you are not really getting a good value with a whole platform upgrade.  It makes a LOT more sense to put more money into the GPU.

I have an i7 4930K, that's Sandy Bridge-E, all I did was pop a GTX 1080 in there and that four year old CPU still hits gets great performance.  The real kicker was when I tried the GTX 1080 in my i7 2630QM system.  That is a Sandy Bridge Mobile, 2.0ghz, 2.9ghz turbo, with PCI-E 2.0 lanes. and the GTX 1080 was still running GTA5 at 4K 60hz at normal/some high settings.

Unless someone has something PAINFULLY out of date, the smart money is just to upgrade your GPU.  But far too many nerds on this forum and other places are obsessed with 'balance' and 'bottlenecking' that they basically tell other users to set money on fire on a full platform update.

24 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

[...] The real kicker was when I tried the GTX 1080 in my i7 2630QM system.  [...]

I also have a laptop with that CPU... how exactly did you manage this?

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

-snip-Clearly in my case I have no need to upgrade my system for quite a while. But the take away here I think is that if you can grab a 4-way SLI mobo and have the right SLI bridge, putting four 980Ti's together WITH THE RIGHT DRIVER will enable you to rock a 4K display as good as any Pascal setup today. Don't fall for the marketing hype - SLI has plenty of muscle left in it if you know how to flex it :P:P:P

Except you're looking at a much, much higher system cost when you're going that route. Even buying the cards used, it doesn't make sense once you also factor in finding the right motherboard, a high wattage PSU, etc. To what. Get comparable results with a single much easier to run card? Hell even 2 1080Ti's wouldn't be much more than the cost of 4 GTX 980Ti.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Wait but if they acquired you then why did they sponsor you?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler