Laptop Audio Jack Broken

Go to solution Solved by Thermosman,

unfortunately i haven't been able to find a matching repair part :( my best recommendation is to use a usb adapter, sorry.

So i own a MSI Gl62 7RD and i broke the headphone jack. How do i fix this apart from a USB sound card

Depends on how you broke it.

The easiest (and probably messiest) way would be to solder in a new headphone jack.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Buy something like this to unsolder and replace it, but you have to find one that is the same as the one on your laptop PCB

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1699?gclid=CjwKCAiAx57RBRBkEiwA8yZdUKB-2UVAjQlujiIaB-IY_rFUwSiG2xOhwvPD1clAuTWEBiJUcPZ83RoCkS4QAvD_BwE

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

1 minute ago, Thermosman said:

Buy something like this to unsolder and replace it, but you have to find one that is the same as the one on your laptop PCB

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1699?gclid=CjwKCAiAx57RBRBkEiwA8yZdUKB-2UVAjQlujiIaB-IY_rFUwSiG2xOhwvPD1clAuTWEBiJUcPZ83RoCkS4QAvD_BwE

That is the thing, I took it to a repair place and they said there wasnt a replacement part. Is there a way i can use the Mic port as a headphone jack?

2 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Depends on how you broke it.

The easiest (and probably messiest) way would be to solder in a new headphone jack.

The jack is split and the cable is loose when plugged in

Just now, Joelsome said:

That is the thing, I took it to a repair place and they said there wasnt a replacement part. Is there a way i can use the Mic port as a headphone jack?

Would you mind taking it apart and taking a picture of the jack. I'm sure I could find a replacement. If it's urgent, you could move the mic jack to the audio jack

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

Just now, Thermosman said:

Would you mind taking it apart and taking a picture of the jack. I'm sure I could find a replacement. If it's urgent, you could move the mic jack to the audio jack

IF you can wait a couple of hours for me to get home and open it up sure, but is there a software option? I dont use the mic port so that world work, but i think it is soldiered onto the mobo

10 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

Everything can be replaced with the right equipment.

There is a chance you can use mic port as a headphone output, but it depends on your drivers and the way your soundcard is wired up.

Some RealTek solution do have the option of assigning functionality to different ports, so I would check that option in the driver suite.

Just now, Volbet said:

Everything can be replaced with the right equipment.

There is a chance you can use mic port as a headphone output, but it depends on your drivers and the way your soundcard is wired up.

Some RealTek solution do have the option of assigning functionality to different ports, so I would check that option in the driver suite.

I dont have a realtek driver suite, i have MSI nahimic 2

1 minute ago, Joelsome said:

I dont have a realtek driver suite, i have MSI nahimic 2

It's more than likely that it's still a RealTek chipset, so I would still check whatever software suite you're using to check if you can reassign your audio ports.

Just now, Volbet said:

It's more than likely that it's still a RealTek chipset, so I would still check whatever software suite you're using to check if you can reassign your audio ports.

Is there a way to install this realtek thing then?

1 hour ago, Joelsome said:

IF you can wait a couple of hours for me to get home and open it up sure, but is there a software option? I dont use the mic port so that world work, but i think it is soldiered onto the mobo

Take your time, no rush :)

59 minutes ago, Joelsome said:

Is there a way to install this realtek thing then?

Maybe. It all depends on how it's implemented. if it's not provided by MSi then your chances are probably slim. 

3 hours ago, Thermosman said:

My phone is dead, ill get a picture on here at some point, but that is my only camera lel

On 12/6/2017 at 4:29 PM, Thermosman said:

Sorry for a few days later... here is one. I cant upload the rest cause it says I am only alowed to upload 20MB

DSC00124.JPG

nope no wrioting

the bit that broke off is just the gold bit,You can see the differencve iin the phonto

12 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

do you still have the piece that is broken off? if you do, then can you see if it has any writing on it

Does this help?