Dell XPS 9560 - Severe lag in all aspects of use - HELP!

Hey guys, 

I'm new to this forum but hoping someone will be able to help me out. 

I've had my XPS 15 (9560) for a few months now, the screen is absolutely gorgeous and the battery life among other things is great. 

HOWEVER, this system has been giving stuttering and lag issues since the day I bought it. Just a few examples are...

•  lag typing into Google, loading webpages (not internet related lag) clicking, switching tabs, general UX (This was largely fixed by enabling hardware acceleration, but non-internet lag is still noticeable when switching to it from another window and when typing at times such as just having opened a new tab and trying to type)  

• Playing a game on moderate to extremely low settings such as BeamNG, Rainbow Six | Siege, frames will drop significantly. BeamNG will game around 30-60FPS and then for no reason whatsoever, will drop to 10FPS for at least half an hour. Rainbow Six | Siege will fluctuate around 28~40FPS then drop to 5~15FPS if I get any sort of on-screen notification until it goes away, or randomly drop down to 15FPS for no reason. PUBG is 25FPS dropping to 15FPS at times even on the absolute lowest settings. Rainbow Six at the lowest settings should only require 1GB of GPU.... how on earth is this thing so damn slow when I have 4GB. 

• Adobe Lightroom CC....my gosh.... every single action is laboured. Moving the mouse and waiting for changes to take effect, even just clicking the next photo will take an age for it to respond. 

• Word Documents with anything longer than around 10 pages with even compressed images will lag while typing, moving the mouse and just generally feel like it's finding things exceptionally difficult to do. 

These are just a few examples, basically any operation short of just opening folders (e.g. using any program) can be exceptionally slow at times and laggy. I have tried all sorts of fixes for these programs individually and nothing seems to have helped very much. Even gaming at the lowest possible settings on both these games does nothing for performance improvements and I cannot describe how infuriating it is to be trying to complete a project in Word or Lightroom and have this ridiculous level of lag just because I inserted a compressed photo or clicked on the next photo in line I need to edit. 

The computer cost a significant amount of money and is pretty well spec'd out with all the latest updates of everything installed.
i7-7700HQ Kaby Lake

16GB RAM 

NVidia GTX-1050 4GB GDDR5 

I understand it may struggle to game these reasonably intensive games at high settings, but just day to day things??? Surely there is something not right with the settings. I've heard that Dell disables SpeedShift on the 9560 laptops, is this something that could be causing this stuttering and slow performance? Would enabling it with ThrottleStop be a safe option? 

It is absolutely infuriating, I had smoother performance on my old HP Pavilion DV5 than on this thing...editing in Lightroom is actually slower on this supposedly high performance laptop than it was on that 2008 model HP....

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks guys.

Have you done a malware scan? Or checked task manager to see what's using up your CPU?

Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

How are your temperatures while gaming?  I use intel's XTU to monitor my temps.  Also, undervolting your processor will help with thermals, which you can do with XTU.

Could be some of the bloatware that comes with all prebuilt systems and notebooks.  Dell, Acer, Microsoft, they all  include bloatware on new systems.  Between checking with a malware scan (windows defender will do that), looking for and deleting any bloatware and possibly defraging the hard drive, you may be able to solve 99 percent of the problem.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

Going to the above website will get you a free malwarebytes scan and fix.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

For GPU performance, try having a look at your Nvidia settings and check if your Power Management is set to "Adaptive" or "Max Performance". Normally by default, it's usually set to "Optimal Power" which really drops the GPU performance significantly. As for your other apps, try see your Task Manager on what apps that take most of the resources, it's prolly one of the main reasons your XPS might feel laggy. Worst come to worst, re-install Windows 10 and start over, it can tremendously help your laptop getting back to its peak performance.

Daily drivers:

- HP Elite x2 1012 G2: Intel Core i7-7600U, Intel HD Graphics 620 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 eGPU, 16GB LPDDR3-1867, 256GB Toshiba NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD + 128GB Toshiba Exceria UHS-1 U3 MicroSD, 12.3" 2736x1824 + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

Other devices:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- New Nintendo 2DS XL

Thanks for your replies guys, 

I can say with some degree of confidence that it isn't Malware. I've bought all the apps I use, legitimately, and take extreme care when downloading any software. I have done about 3 clean installs on the laptop since I bought it (to fix the bluetooth connectivity issues I was facing when I first bought it. Did a Malwarebytes scan a couple of times and didn't return anything other than false-positives from Google Chrome files.

I've attached a screenshot of the task manager, there is a bunch of bloatware like McAfee which seems to use a portion of memory, but it doesn't seem too significant. I do close down all non-essential background apps when gaming. I'm concerned if I delete any of the Dell stuff I will get constant notifications to reinstall or or have something crash on me :/ Dell is finicky with their stupid apps. 

I checked my Nvidia settings and did have "extend battery life while gaming" set to "ON" but at the max quality instead of 'optimise' so I switched off the battery life extension feature entirely and see if this givs any improvement. 

Could it be that the apps themselves (Word and Lightroom mainly) are just poorly optimised? Seems odd that a brand new software such as Lightroom would function so badly but I'm at a loss to what it could be. It just seems like asking anything more than mildly demanding of the computer is too much effort for it :|

One quick question about undervolting, would this not decrease performance? 

Thanks again guys, I'll play some Rainbow Six now and let you know if the Nvidia changes made any difference in that department at least. :)

lag.PNG

Honestly, if you are trying to play those games at the displays 4k resolution, you're going to have a hard time. What happens if you downscale to 1080p and then try playing games?

You still shouldn't have any issues using MS word and what not at 4k though.

On 12/7/2017 at 9:06 PM, TheAdventuresofKarl said:

snip

Uninstalling Dell stuffs shouldn't be much a problem if you don't actually use it. Undervolting does not really decrease performance per se, (ok maybe by tiny bit) as you decrease the voltage amount of the cores, resulting in less power draw and cooler CPU operation, also helps with battery life as well. As for GPU, try installing MSI AfterBurner, have it run while you play a game, and observe any changes to GPU on the clock speeds and the temperature, that can be a good place to start if you believe that the problem is not software-related.

Daily drivers:

- HP Elite x2 1012 G2: Intel Core i7-7600U, Intel HD Graphics 620 + Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1080 eGPU, 16GB LPDDR3-1867, 256GB Toshiba NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD + 128GB Toshiba Exceria UHS-1 U3 MicroSD, 12.3" 2736x1824 + HP Pavilion 22cwa Monitor 21.5" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

- LG V20 (H990DS): Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (ARM-based), Adreno 530, 4GB LPDDR4, 64GB eMMC UFS 2.0 + 64GB SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 U3 V30 MicroSD, 5.7" IPS LCD 1440p + 2.1" 160x1040, Android 7.0 (LG UX 5.0)

Other devices:

- Lenovo IdeaPad Y400: Intel Core i7-3630QM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M SLI, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB Kingston mS200 mSATA SSD + 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 7200rpm 2.5" HDD, 14" 768p, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Dell Venue 11 Pro (7139): Intel Core i5-4300Y, Intel HD Graphics 4200, 8GB LPDDR3-1600, 256GB SanDisk X110 M.2 2260 SATA3 SSD, 10.8" 1080p IPS, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64-bit [retired]

- Acer Iconia W4: Intel Atom Z3740, Intel HD Graphics, 2GB DDR3L-1033, 64GB Samsung MCG8GC eMMC, 8" IPS WXGA (1280x800), Windows 10 Home 32-bit

- Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML: Intel Atom Z3580 (x86-based), PowerVR G6430, 4GB LPDDR3, 64GB eMMC, 5.5" IPS LCD 1080p, Android 6.0.1 (Asus ZenUI)

- New Nintendo 2DS XL

Hey guys, 

I think I've found where most of my trouble is coming from. Gaming for some weird reason is running with internal graphics as opposed to my GPU (WTF...) 

I've attached a screenshot of the task-manager while playing Rainbow Six. 99% internal graphics while the GTX 1050 is chilling out at a casual 12%.......
Is there any way I can force the laptop to use the GPU for all tasks? I have absolute no clue why the game would launch with the internal instead of the GPU. 

I'm definitely not gaming in 4K! All my games are run in 1080p, 4K doesn't play nicely with some game menus anyway and 1080 is more than sharp enough for me. 

image.thumb.png.9f1da0e1f46170aa2505ef6172e00d2d.png

• 5 months later...

Did you find a solution to this? I am having the EXACT same problems with all of my programs as well. I don't think it's the program optimization since it happens with almost every single program. Even simple ones lag if my computer is busy trying to do something else, like say... opening the browser *sigh*

Any help on this would be appreciated guys. I have all my drivers up to date and literally just did a clean install today from USB...

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2018 at 9:37 AM, bennymcl said:

Did you find a solution to this? I am having the EXACT same problems with all of my programs as well. I don't think it's the program optimization since it happens with almost every single program. Even simple ones lag if my computer is busy trying to do something else, like say... opening the browser *sigh*

Any help on this would be appreciated guys. I have all my drivers up to date and literally just did a clean install today from USB...

I have the same problem exactly. I think it started after a Windows update, but I've done three clean installs to no avail. Even creating a new folder from the Explorer is a drag. Laggy typing, etc. Has anyone found a solution? At Dell no one has a clue. I bought my laptop to do some intensive video editing and I it struggles just to browse online!