HDMI cord no longer supporting 4k

Jabinator1

So previously before I upgraded my CPU from an i3 6100k to an i7 7700k, my HDMI cord could output 4k at 60Hz, however since ive replaced it, it seems as though it can no longer support 4k at 60Hz but only 30Hz. Anyone know perhaps why this may be occuring?

14 minutes ago, Jabinator1 said:

So previously before I upgraded my CPU from an i3 6100k to an i7 7700k, my HDMI cord could output 4k at 60Hz, however since ive replaced it, it seems as though it can no longer support 4k at 60Hz but only 30Hz. Anyone know perhaps why this may be occuring?

Are you plugging into the motherboard or graphics card?

For 4K @ 60Hz you need:

HDMI 2.0 (or higher) on the source device (your graphics card/MB), the display, and anything else in between (such as an AVR receiver). This usually won't be marked anywhere, you'd need to look it up.

A High Speed HDMI cable (it will be labelled on either the cable or the connector). 

do you have both of those? If not, it would use HDMI 1.4 which has maximum 4K @ 30Hz.

Sometimes other devices (even if not in the signal path) can cause problems, if they don't fully support HDMI 2.0 and/or HDCP (content protection). Try unplugging all other HDMI devices and see if that makes any difference. 

Also of course, make sure you have selected 60Hz on the computer itself. 

2 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

For 4K @ 60Hz you need:

HDMI 2.0 (or higher) on the source device (your graphics card/MB), the display, and anything else in between (such as an AVR receiver). This usually won't be marked anywhere, you'd need to look it up.

A High Speed HDMI cable (it will be labelled on either the cable or the connector). 

do you have both of those? If not, it would use HDMI 1.4 which has maximum 4K @ 30Hz.

Sometimes other devices (even if not in the signal path) can cause problems, if they don't fully support HDMI 2.0 and/or HDCP (content protection). Try unplugging all other HDMI devices and see if that makes any difference. 

Also of course, make sure you have selected 60Hz on the computer itself. 

Yeah, I have a High Speed HDMI cable (marked on the cable) as well as a GTX 1060, however before i upgraded my CPU it wasn't having this issue and could run 60Hz on all programs.

9 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Are you plugging into the motherboard or graphics card?

Graphics card

yeah... that's pretty strange. If it worked before I don't see how a CPU change would make it stop working, 

in the Nvidia Control Panel, under Display > Change resolution, does it give the option for 2160p/4k? what refresh rates show up there?

Also maybe check View HDCP Status and see if it shows any errors there. Doubt it would matter, but worth checking just in case. 

1 minute ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

yeah... that's pretty strange. If it worked before I don't see how a CPU change would make it stop working, 

in the Nvidia Control Panel, under Display > Change resolution, does it give the option for 2160p/4k? what refresh rates show up there?

Also maybe check View HDCP Status and see if it shows any errors there. Doubt it would matter, but worth checking just in case. 

It supports 60Hz at 2k, but not 4k. and the HDCP isnt getting any errors

30 minutes ago, Jabinator1 said:

It supports 60Hz at 2k, but not 4k. and the HDCP isnt getting any errors

In the Change Resolution section of the NVIDIA control panel, there may be a second listing for 3840×2160 in the "PC" section lower in the list, depending on the display.

If not, try hitting the "Customize" button and setting a custom resolution.

Just now, Glenwing said:

In the Change Resolution section of the NVIDIA control panel, there may be a second listing for 3840×2160 in the "PC" section lower in the list, depending on the display.

If not, try hitting the "Customize" button and setting a custom resolution.

Setting the Resolution to the second listing worked! Thanks so much!