Microsoft launches ARM-powered Windows 10 laptops

Polesh007
Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

My point is I don't think the market does exist

Microsoft seems to.... whether or not it actually does (or perhaps, whether or not Microsoft can create it) only time will tell xD.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My point is I don't think the market does exist

I think that it could compete with the Chromebook market if done right.

13 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

So Microsoft and other PC OEMs better not price these ARM powered laptops $1000 or higher if they want to take a jab on Apple’s iPad and Google’s Chromebooks. 

I just saw the price for the Asus NovaGO.

SoC: Snapdragon 835

RAM: 4GB

Storage: 64GB of UFS storage

Price: 600 dollars

It's 800 dollars if you want 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage.

Sounds like the HP will cost about the same.

Also, they won't be out until spring 2018, and by that time we will probably have Snapdragon 845 devices.

So these devices will basically be outdated the day they launch, and they will cost about twice as much as they should.

Edit: Just me that doesn't get the point of "always-on" laptops?

I want my phone to be always-on so that someone can call me in case of an emergency, but I don't see a good reason why I'd want my laptop to be always-on. Does it really need to be sitting in my bag, constantly checking if I have some new emails, constantly updating the weather and so on?

Can't it just do that when I start it up?

20 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Said me, who actually enjoy laptops that you can carry... 

What are you, an ant? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, thorhammerz said:

Microsoft seems to.... whether or not it actually does (or perhaps, whether or not Microsoft can create it) only time will tell xD.

I was under the impression that the original surface and surface 2 (non-pro) did not sell well, with the reason being the only value Windows has over competing options to most people is the fact it can run almost all available programs, so a version of it that can't is sort of defeating the purpose.  I guess you're right, we will see whether things have changed with this implementation but I suspect not.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I was under the impression that the original surface and surface 2 (non-pro) did not sell well, with the reason being the only value Windows has over competing options to most people is the fact it can run almost all available programs, so a version of it that can't is sort of defeating the purpose.  I guess you're right, we will see whether things have changed with this implementation but I suspect not.

I also wonder how well the Surface 3 (which is full windows) is selling since it still hasn't been updated...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

I also wonder how well the Surface 3 (which is full windows) is selling since it still hasn't been updated...

I'd imagine not very well since the Surface 4 and even 5 are now out :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'd imagine not very well since the Surface 4 and even 5 are now out :P

Which is exactly my point. So, while Windows RT certainly didn't help the Surface/Surface 2, I do wonder how much of the sales issues with them came down to the hardware/price. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Which is exactly my point. So, while Windows RT certainly didn't help the Surface/Surface 2, I do wonder how much of the sales issues with them came down to the hardware/price. 

Well I think the sales have been good since they figured out it needs to be x86.  Surface book, surface laptop, surface 4 and 5, etc. afaik they're doing well.  If they weren't I have to assume they'd have abandoned the whole line rather than just dropping the ARM based ones and then expanding on what was left.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I think the sales have been good since they figured out it needs to be x86.  Surface book, surface laptop, surface 4 and 5, etc. afaik they're doing well.

Yes, the Pros are doing well, but the Pro 1/Pro 2 were Windows 8 Pro, not RT. All I'm saying is I don't know how much of the issues of the non-pro models stemmed from it running RT rather than full windows. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I think that it could compete with the Chromebook market if done right.

Part of me looks at this (below) and thinks "absolutely no way", but then I think not only are chromebooks themselves often priced at this level or higher, but other devices that people tend to gravitate to that could probably get by with just a chromebook anyway are also popular, so maybe this market does have room for one more, even if it's already beyond saturated imo.

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I just saw the price for the Asus NovaGO.

SoC: Snapdragon 835

RAM: 4GB

Storage: 64GB of UFS storage

Price: 600 dollars

It's 800 dollars if you want 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage.

Sounds like the HP will cost about the same.

Also, they won't be out until spring 2018, and by that time we will probably have Snapdragon 845 devices.

So these devices will basically be outdated the day they launch, and they will cost about twice as much as they should.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Does it really need to be sitting in my bag, constantly checking if I have some new emails, constantly updating the weather and so on?

Example, pharma reps need that to constantly update orders and calls to the company’s servers thanks to 3G/LTE. That’s how companies track their employees if they’re actually working or not thanks to onboard location services. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Part of me looks at this (below) and thinks "absolutely no way", but then I think not only are chromebooks themselves often priced at this level or higher, but other devices that people tend to gravitate to that could probably get by with just a chromebook anyway are also popular, so maybe this market does have room for one more, even if it's already beyond saturated imo.

With the consideration that some people will buy the highest end Macbook Pro or a gaming laptop just for web browsing, I wouldn't be surprised to see people buying them at any price point (Especially if marketing is done well and its styled nicely, considering most users wouldn't know what any of the specs mean, x86/arm especially. You can bet that they will pound the 8 core marketing hard.)

What was wrong with Intel Atom? Or is Intel basically just abandoning the Atom lineup all together?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

57 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

People probably will not adopt it since it isn't the full fledged x86 as they see it inferior.

That depends, if you are the average user that uses chrome, Microsoft office, Photoshop, etc. Then this tablet is good. But definitely not something like games and programming.

The geek himself.

Calling it Windows RT isn't really fitting at all. Heck, I don't think we can really compare it to anything considering we're talking about an ARM-based OS with high-efficiency x86 emulation as a core feature. Calling it RT is either stupidity from OP's side or an attempt to heat up the discussion.

And the concept not being disruptive to the market isn't a very logical claim. Battery life is a major problem in computing today, and the most common workloads for both business-customers and normal consumers aren't in demand of raw computing power. Coupled with the incredibly important mobility advantages (both the size reduction and LTE connectivity) it's without a doubt an important step towards making functional computers in a thin and light formfactor.

If MediaTek, Samsung and Huawei also joins the game with Windows 10 compatible SoCs (and remember, both Huawei and Samsung have SoCs comparable to the Snapdragon 835), we may even see some competition in terms of pricing, something which we haven't seen in a very, very long time with Intel-based devices.

5 hours ago, Polesh007 said:

WINDOWS RT RETURNS (REINCARNATED)

It is named Andromeda and is not Windows RT. These are 2 different OS's.

4 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

You can't call that windows RT since it runs full windows. @GoodBytes IMO title really needs to be changed since its extremely misleading/wrong.

It is misleading. As well as the post.

*edit 

It is my understanding that this is not Windows S as Windows S is just a full Windows 10 limited strictly to the Store Apps being allowed to run on it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What was wrong with Intel Atom? Or is Intel basically just abandoning the Atom lineup all together?

The consumer atom processors either got curb stomped in battery life or performance by many ARM designs. Often both.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I cried a small tear when they announced it tbh, I really liked them. Atoms became really capable chips tbh

Intel will have to bring them back into the consumer market to remain competitive. 

1 hour ago, TheCherryKing said:

Intel will have to bring them back into the consumer market to remain competitive. 

Or they just give up on that segment of the market. There's also Core M3s, that get close to their Goldmont Atoms. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

The consumer atom processors either got curb stomped in battery life or performance by many ARM designs. Often both.

Bay Trail I didn't think was terrible, and certainly a big step up from the rabbit droppings that were the original Atoms. Gpu performance however, could be better, though for pauper cheap x86 machines that you wouldn't mind bringing to the bad side of town, they were perfectly serviceable.

Original Atom though, I'm fairly certain my very old Tegra 2 phone had no problems spanking it into submission.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Seems like Microsoft doesn't learn lessons that easily.

Seems?! What the heck was the first clue then? Windows Vista, ME, Mobile, the Updater that randomly decides to eat your cpu and disk?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Seems?! What the heck was the first clue then? Windows Vista, ME, Mobile, the Updater that randomly decides to eat your cpu and disk?

How about everything.

I think that sums it up nicely.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.