Windows 7 update broken on some systems

samcool55
Just now, XenosTech said:

People do know you can set group policies in win10 to stop updates ? Haven't updated since the FCU and nothing resets anymore after updates, so once you set it you don't have to go disable it again after every single update.

Doesn't work on W10 Home.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Doesn't work on W10 Home.

GP's ? or do you mean the resetting of things ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

GP's ? or do you mean the resetting of things ?

Group Policy edittor. W10 Home ignores some of the settings in GP. There was a whole debacle about needing to use registry tweaks in the Home version to disable things like auto updates and Cortana when it could be done easily with GP in Pro.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

This is interesting... I will have to try it on my laptop.  It's been off for a month or so and would definitely have updates available by now so I should be able to tell if it's working or not pretty quickly, and be able to test out the fixes.  Considering Windows 7 is supposed to still be supported until 2020, this has to either be a mistake, or something that will blow up into a much larger story soon enough (I'm looking at you accusations this is intentional to push people to Windows 10)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, Kierax said:

INB4 Windows 10 upgrade conspiracy.

You know by calling it a conspiracy instead of a conspiracy theory that implies it is a known fact rather than a hypothesis.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

You know by calling it a conspiracy instead of a conspiracy theory that implies it is a know fact rather than a hypothesis.

Wouldn't having a conspiracy confirmed defeat the purpose? :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

28 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well according to the internet maybe, though the fact the that the plot was revealed did not negate the existence of a plot despite the fact the internet believes such normally.

It's funny how negative of a light conspiracy theories have now, though that was the result of the of a conspiracy between intelligence agencies and the media flooding the populace with fake information to delegitimize valid questionings of extremely convenient coincidences that occurred.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

6 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

It's funny how negative of a light conspiracy theories have now, though that was the result of the of a conspiracy between intelligence agencies and the media flooding the populace with fake information to delegitimize valid questionings of extremely convenient coincidences that occurred.

your-statement-gave-me-forest-whitaker-eye-memegenerator-net-21519374.png

I.....don't.....i.......can't........

what?

i do not understand this string of words written in this order. ELI5?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Sierra Fox said:

what?

i do not understand this string of words written in this order.

He's saying that he can believe it's not butter.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

this is why windows vista is the best kind of operating system the world has ever known

/s

35 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

what?

i do not understand this string of words written in this order. ELI5?

I'm saying that government agencies have in the past released fake info so it could be debunked to undermine stories about legitimate conspiracies, I just said it in a very convoluted manner that is possibly an illogical rant.

Pfffffffff I'm going back to Windows 3.0

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

28 minutes ago, owluitar said:

Pfffffffff I'm going back to Windows 3.0

Windows 386 (2.1x) ftw!

!!!Warning, the followings commercials are not safe for the mind!!!

Spoiler

Full version for those with a death wish:

Reduced version for a somewhat sane person:

This whole debacle, was my experience with Windows 7 as it existed prior to Windows 8.1.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

Where are all these ads people keep saying they are getting on w10? Are they talking about the pre-installed crash crush start menu shit? I've never once seen an ad in w10 across the 6 computers I've had

On top of my head I can think of:

Those are the ones I can think of right now, but I have probably missed a few.

If you have never seen an ad inside Windows 10 then consider yourself very lucky, or you have spent the time and effort required to disable all of them (and probably had to disable things again after updates).

Or maybe you use the Enterprise version which doesn't come with this bullshit.

Windows 7 is such a joke at this point. You literally have to hate Windows 10 or run an old and not very agile business to still be running it.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What the fuck is Microsoft even trying to do now? It's their own damn fault that Windows 10 didn't move in the numbers they wanted.

I would guess that they're trying not to patch Windows 7 anymore. I think they've secretly given up.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

They're not trying to fix Windows 7 anymore. I think they've secretly given up.

They have more than secretly given up. They are spending time and resources trying to sabotage it. For example they pushed out an update a few months ago (maybe more like half a year now) that patched the update service to include a CPU detection function, which blocks updates if it detects newer CPUs.

Someone reverse engineered it and disable it, and once that was done everything continued to work as normal with updates.

So they are actively developing tools to block updates for Windows 7.

13 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm pretty sure Microsoft has been actively breaking Windows update for Windows 7 systems. I reinstalled Windows 7 on a friend's laptop and couldn't get it to update no matter what I did. 

Or maybe you shouldn't expect an 8 year old system to get as much support as it did when it was new. Besides, windows 7 was never exactly perfect... it was good at the time, but it came with its own share of problems. Of course this bug should be fixed, but I doubt it's a result of microsoft deliberately breaking it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

They have more than secretly given up. They are spending time and resources trying to sabotage it. For example they pushed out an update a few months ago (maybe more like half a year now) that patched the update service to include a CPU detection function, which blocks updates if it detects newer CPUs.

Someone reverse engineered it and disable it, and once that was done everything continued to work as normal with updates.

So they are actively developing tools to block updates for Windows 7.

Fair enough for people on Windows 7.

If businesses had all moved to Windows 10 then Windows 7 would probably be discontinued and made obsolete with no future updates.

15 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Windows 7 is such a joke at this point. You literally have to hate Windows 10 or run an old and not very agile business to still be running it.

Or just that there is no reason to downgrade to 10?

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Or just that there is no reason to downgrade to 10?

In what way is it a downgrade?

It's an upgrade. An improvement.

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Fair enough for people on Windows 7.

If businesses had all moved to Windows 10 then Windows 7 would probably be discontinued and made obsolete with no future updates.

Well it will in 2020. Issue is that at least right now it does look like the XP disaster will happen again and much worse. Don't forget it's not only businesses that need to switch but also schools, universities, government stuff,... and most of them don't really have a budget or right people to just upgrade to something else.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon