Windows 7 update broken on some systems

samcool55

Another day, another bug.

Some users using Windows 7 experience issues when trying to update their system.

When they try to update Windows says it cannot update because the Windows-service isn't active and a reboot might be required.

Maandag verschenen meldingen over het weigeren van Windows 7 om nieuwe updates te zoeken. Ook op Gathering of Tweakers maakten gebruikers melding van het probleem. De foutmelding die Windows Update geeft, is: "Er kan momenteel niet naar updates worden gezocht, omdat de Windows Update-service niet actief is. U moet uw computer mogelijk opnieuw opstarten." Niet iedere Windows 7-gebruiker krijgt de foutmelding.

Translated version:

Since Monday people started to notice that Windows 7 refused to search for new updates. Also on the Gathering of Tweakers (the forum of the source) had people noticing the problem. The error message that Windows Update gave is: "Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer". Not every Windows-7 user gets the error message.

Thing is, the service is probably running, so what gives?

For now, we don't exactly know. What we do know is that there are for now 2 solutions to fix this issue

1) Change your date to something before the 3rd of december.

2) uncheck the "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update windows".

Update: there's a third option, a bit more complicated but it did work for me, because it's a few steps i whacked it in a spoiler.

Spoiler

1. Run services.msc

2. Stop the service "Windows Update"

3. Go to C:\Windows

4. Rename the folder "SoftwareDistribution" to "SoftwareDistribution_old"

5. Start the service "Windows Update"

6. Try to search for updates again

The first two didn't work for me but the third one did.

Also right now it's unclear how big the impact of this is. My 2 windows 7 systems both suffer from this issue but that's of course just a small sample.

Little update about the count, it's atm 3 broken out of 4 systems, the one that works had the option "give me updates for microsoft products..." already unchecked.

Example of the error on my system when i try to search for updates

image.png.1ff674a61324d4b4fe2fd19999d02579.png

Source (dutch): https://tweakers.net/nieuws/132567/windows-7-gebruikers-ervaren-problemen-met-windows.html

I'll add a quote later but because it's in dutch i need to translate it first which takes a bit of time...

EDIT: quote added

EDIT 2: some say windows 8.1 might have the same issue, atm no reliable source for this, i'll keep an eye out for it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Another day, another bug.

Some users using Windows 7 experience issues when trying to update their system.

When they try to update Windows says it cannot update because the Windows-service isn't active and a reboot might be required.

Thing is, the service is probably running, so what gives?

For now, we don't exactly know. What we do know is that there are for now 2 solutions to fix this issue

1) Change your date to something before the 3rd of december.

2) uncheck the "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update windows".

Thing is, i tried both, neither of them worked so for now it seems like there's not a clear solution anyway

Source (dutch): https://tweakers.net/nieuws/132567/windows-7-gebruikers-ervaren-problemen-met-windows.html

I'll add a quote later but because it's in dutch i need to translate it first which takes a bit of time...

lol Windows 10 bitches

Ouch, wonder if this was a mistake or intentional (Kinda doubt the latter). Will users need to manually download a patch elsewhere to patch it? If so, how many computers will never get another update :S

<Insert joke about solution 3) Update to Windows 10>

INB4 Windows 10 upgrade conspiracy.

Image result for conspiracy cat

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

1 minute ago, tjcater said:

Ouch, wonder if this was a mistake or intentional (Kinda doubt the latter). Will users need to manually download a patch elsewhere to patch it? If so, how many computers will never get another update :S

<Insert joke about solution 3) Update to Windows 10>

No idea, there's for now no official fix so it's impossible to say how to fix it properly.

Also it seems like quite a lot of systems are hit by this, the 2 windows 7 machines i have both suffer from this. I'm doing some further digging but it takes a bit of time.

So how big the impact of this is, don't know either... Too soon atm.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Downloading modern Microsoft patches is like downloading bugs and viruses, anyway. I personally wouldn't care if Windows Update wasn't working.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I'm pretty sure Microsoft has been actively breaking Windows update for Windows 7 systems. I reinstalled Windows 7 on a friend's laptop and couldn't get it to update no matter what I did. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I'm pretty sure Microsoft has been actively breaking Windows update for Windows 7 systems. I reinstalled Windows 7 on a friend's laptop and couldn't get it to update no matter what I did. 

Try WSUSoffline, it does require a different system to prepare the updates but it basically bypasses the searching for updates step. Really handy in situations like yours.

Just stop with the ignorancy and boycotting W10. Windows 7 has probably the same amount of background snooping, but done more behind the scenes. Turning on bitch mode for obsolete software is more or less futile and retarded.

1 minute ago, Matu20 said:

Just stop with the ignorancy and boycotting W10. Windows 7 has probably the same amount of background snooping, but done more behind the scenes. Turning on bitch mode for obsolete software is more or less futile and retarded.

Windows 7 isn't obsolete until at least 2020.

Yes it's older, but does that immediaetly mean it's crap? No. It's still perfectly fine and safe to use today (at least if it would update properly).

Both windows 7 and 10 have good and bad points and in the end, for now, most users can decide for their own which one they want to use.

I personally still run Windows 7, i gave Windows 10 a try and i didn't like it. I still use it sometimes on different systems and don't hate using it, but i just prefer windows 7.

But in the end haters gonna hate so whatever...

Windows 7 updates via the built in updater have been an issue since microshaft released windows 10.

It's been speculated that this is by design to force users to "upgrade" to 10.

Nothing new here,

Use WSUS.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

10 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

The guy claiming ignorance of others stating that Windows 7 has the same amount of snooping bu default.

Pot meet kettle.

Now I've seen everything...

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

7 hours ago, Matu20 said:

Let's see. Both OSes accomplish the same things, but one does it with less user control over the OS, and with in-OS ads, arbitrarily resetting of user configurations, tons of spyware and data-leeching, an ugly UI... while the other has none of that stuff, and is a whole lot more stable and responsive.

I haven't installed any spyware-adding updated into my Windows 7 installation, so no, Win 7 doesn't have the same stuff, unless a person chose to install it.

It's pretty clear which OS is the superior OS, as opposed to the superior Microsoft's-bitch-maker platform.

Since Windows 10 is essentially Windows 7 with a ton of detrimental stuff added on, and nothing important, they'll both become obsolete around the same time, and it can also be said that Windows 10 is a regression over Windows. Because in many ways, it is.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, Hellion said:

Windows 7 updates via the built in updater have been an issue since microshaft released windows 10.

It's been speculated that this is by design to force users to "upgrade" to 10.

Nothing new here,

Use WSUS.

WSUS is love, WSUS is life, holy crap it's amazing, including WSUSoffline for people that want a very easy solution for normal pc's at home or whatever.

Much faster, no downloads (apart from updating the thing itself so it has all the updates), portable, it just works, so nice!

A lot of people go to a lot of effort to disable Windows Update in Windows 10. So, I wouldn't call no Windows Update in Windows 7 a loss. It might actually be the first thing that Nadella's Microsoft has done in favour of Windows owners. Windows 10 sure isn't that.

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

A lot of people go to a lot of effort to disable Windows Update in Windows 10. So, I wouldn't call no Windows Update in Windows 7 a loss. It might actually be the first thing that Nadella's Microsoft has done in favour of Windows owners. Windows 10 sure isn't that.

That's actually quite funny.

Windows 7 users: Give us updates!

Windows 10 users: Stop giving us updates!

What a beautiful place we live in...

12 minutes ago, Matu20 said:

I usually don't point out misspelled words but I find it funny that you spelled "ignorance" wrong.

Anyway, Windows 7 demonstrably doesn't have anywhere near as much background snooping as Windows 10 does.

I've ran both in virtual machines and logged all network traffic. It most certainly has increased in Windows 7 ever since Microsoft became interested in data harvesting their users, but it's still far less. Plus you can choose to not install the privacy invasive updates on Windows 7.

Windows 7 is not obsolete either. In fact, Microsoft will support it for several years to come. They are trying their hardest to make their support as shitty as possible though...

*sigh* as long as it doesn't fuck up my laptop, I'm happy. Having all my shit working properly is nice.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

42 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

45 minutes ago, NovaMan01 said:

lol Windows 10 bitches

Hilarious_and_original.gif

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I usually don't point out misspelled words but I find it funny that you spelled "ignorance" wrong.

Anyway, Windows 7 demonstrably doesn't have anywhere near as much background snooping as Windows 10 does.

I've ran both in virtual machines and logged all network traffic. It most certainly has increased in Windows 7 ever since Microsoft became interested in data harvesting their users, but it's still far less. Plus you can choose to not install the privacy invasive updates on Windows 7.

Windows 7 is not obsolete either. In fact, Microsoft will support it for several years to come. They are trying their hardest to make their support as shitty as possible though...

Did not know ignorancy was not a word like stupidity, tried to use it that context, not because I misspelled ignorance.

22 minutes ago, Hellion said:

The guy claiming ignorance of others stating that Windows 7 has the same amount of snooping bu default.

Pot meet kettle.

Now I've seen everything...

I don't get your point.

11 minutes ago, silentprototipe said:

Hilarious_and_original.gif

Thanks for the meme

7updates.png.3f53f567a17e418cd91e0f6e065a4368.png

83584.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NovaMan01 said:

Thanks for the meme

Windows 7 life comrade 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested!